Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
You do realize that we're living in a country where laws are being IGNORED.
I respect you for wanting to do the right thing. But why?

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Because that is what having "character" is all about. Doing the right thing regardless of favor, benefit, or adversity.
I concur with you. The lines are becoming very blurry, however. We have people blatantly breaking laws and regulations and daring authorities to respond.

But those of us who have character continue to be patient. We don't want the environment in which we now find ourselves living. How far will it go? How long will character govern our behavior? In fact, if you have character, you are probably more likely to be arrested for any infraction.

BTW -- Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps v5.1 (Updated Apr. 15, 2021)

·
Registered
pt111 g2
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I concur with you. The lines are becoming very blurry, however. We have people blatantly breaking laws and regulations and daring authorities to respond.

But those of us who have character continue to be patient. We don't want the environment in which we now find ourselves living. How far will it go? How long will character govern our behavior? In fact, if you have character, you are probably more likely to be arrested for any infraction.

BTW -- Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps v5.1 (Updated Apr. 15, 2021)
Yes i totally agree with you, we all are aware of the termoil that has happened and is still happening. I too just shake my head in disbelief and shock at the things people are doing with no regard for any kind of responsible structure. But i also know that many of those things are out of my control and that i must refrain from getting a negative outlook. Where i live in rural East Texas we dont have alot of those kinds of problems that the larger cities have, and if "they" come here they would be run out of town quite quickly.

Regarding the video i posted above, after a few days to reflect on it, i must say that i completely disagree with what the attorney was saying regarding "dont shoot someone if they just take your wallet out of your truck, its not worth it". I think he is being pretty liberal with my property and my money that might be in my wallet. Lets say i have $1000 in my wallet, if someone tried to walk off with that, to me that means that person now has a $1000 bounty on them dead or alive. Also the attorney did not even consider the emotional violation that happens when you get robbed, its as if the attorney might also say "just let someone grab your breast, its just a breast, or just let someone rape you, its just sex. Sorry but i value my property, i worked hard and did without to get it and im not letting anyone just walk off with it. That does not mean that i am dead set on shooting first, it just means that one way or the other that person(s) is not leaving with my property. Its too bad we dont still hang thieves in public, anyone willing to take someone elses property needs to be deal with harshly.

·
22,837 Posts
Regarding the video i posted above, after a few days to reflect on it, i must say that i completely disagree with what the attorney was saying regarding "dont shoot someone if they just take your wallet out of your truck, its not worth it". I think he is being pretty liberal with my property and my money that might be in my wallet. Lets say i have $1000 in my wallet, if someone tried to walk off with that, to me that means that person now has a $1000 bounty on them dead or alive. Also the attorney did not even consider the emotional violation that happens when you get robbed,
How about the emotional violation that comes from another attorney dedicating months or years of their life to trying to get rich off of your decision that $1000 was worth fighting for?

I'd bet that attorney in the video has guided clients through that process, come to one or the other outcome, and asked them "If you had it to do over, would you draw?" I can easily see someone answering "heck, no." Watching a few months- or years-long processes arguing the validity of a split-second decision probably teaches you a few lessons. Like the way divorce lawyers start off with "remember, it's just stuff."

Ultimately, we each decide for ourselves if the day comes.

As for doing the right thing, I remember reading somewhere that government punishes the evildoer, and rewards those who do good. Hmm.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Texas is voting on CC as I type this. It looks like it will pass with just one or two amendments. If it does, be aware of existing state law concerning unlicensed carry in places that sell beer/liquor. Also known as the 30.05 law. They will strictly enforce that in place of the current 30.06/07 laws. The LTC will still exempt you from background checks on new purchases. I will keep mine for out of state travel.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Hi, i got that from this video, he talks about it in the first 2 min of the video, the whole video is pretty interesting. He is a criminal trial lawyer.

Watch that video more closely. The lawyer is talking about the circumstance in which the person with the gun does not have a carry permit. If a person does not have a carry permit, he cannot carry (in any way) while in someone else's vehicle. The lawyer explicitly says at about 2:50 that a person with a permit can carry in someone else's vehicle.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Regarding the video i posted above, after a few days to reflect on it, i must say that i completely disagree with what the attorney was saying regarding "dont shoot someone if they just take your wallet out of your truck, its not worth it". I think he is being pretty liberal with my property and my money that might be in my wallet.
Your argument is not with the lawyer, then, it's with the law. The Texas law is pretty clear that the purpose of being armed is protection of personal life and limb, not property. If someone has lifted your wallet from your truck and is running away, Texas law doesn't give you the right to shoot him in the back.

You do have the right to try to stop him physically, and if you start losing the fistfight you can shoot him in self-defense. But when the circumstance is clearly that nobody is in zero danger of life or limb, you can't just shoot him down like a dog.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
You will be in big trouble if you shoot, or shoot at, someone running away - even if they stole all your money etc. There won't be any justification for it in spite of the personal attachments to the property.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts