Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
pt111 g2
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I currently have my CCW from New Mexico which is expiring at the end of this month. So i registered for the class here in Texas to my permit here since i live in Texas now. This was the plan until i heard that Texas is more than likely going to pass bill HB1927 which would make Texas a constitutional carry state meaning no more classes or certification (permit) required to carry.

So i understand if it passes i wont need to worry about getting a CCW anymore while im in Texas, i can carry any way i want, public or concealed. However, when i visit my family in New Mexico how does that apply reciprocal wise? As it is now if i get stopped i can just show my CCW permit and all is well. However since there is no such thing as a constitutional "physical card" then how would that work, would i just tell the officer that i live in a constitutional state.

Knowing that i would probably still need to adhere to the New Mexico carry laws, i think that means that i would not be able to conceal carry in New Mexico because they require a permit to do so.

So bottom line i think that means that regardless of what Texas does i still need to take the class and get some kind of card for my pocket from Texas that says that i am authorized to conceal carry so that i dont get in trouble in New Mexico.

Not sure what to do about the class really..

Thanks

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
You are correct, you should still get a CCW permit if you want to carry in another state.
For many years now Arizona has not required a permit to carry open or concealed.
However, a friend of mine still gets a permit there so that he can carry in other states.

You will need to check the reciprocity laws in other states to make sure that your Texas CCW is recognized. A good place to do that is: www.handgunlaw.us.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yep, you will have to get a permit from somewhere else if you want to conceal carry outside of your constitutional carry state.

I know a lot of people are for constitutional carry, but until all 50 states do it, it limits people outside of their home state.

·
Registered
785 Posts
For many years now Arizona has not required a permit to carry open or concealed.
However, a friend of mine still gets a permit there so that he can carry in other states
Tell him to get one from Utah, cheaper to get and renew, covers the same states.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Ohio is an open carry state, but I’m not sure how that works when it comes to out-of-state visitors. You need a permit to carry concealed, and I’ve heard a lot of horror stories about what counts as concealed versus obscured for open carriers. You need that CCW to have an unsecured gun in a car, loaded or not, though you’re in extra trouble if it’s loaded and you have no permit. Loaded magazines will also get you some unwanted attention if you have a gun in the car with no permit. The concealed carry/ open carry/ stand your ground/ castle doctrine stuff isn’t quite as simple as the anti-gunners here like to paint it. The rules are a pretty complex weave of obstacles to exercising 2A rights.

I’d recommend keeping the CCW for travel to other states just to keep things as simple as you can. New Mexico may not care a whole lot about how they do things in Texas.

Reactions: ChrisH

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Read the reciprocity laws carefully. I have a Nevada CCW that is recognized in Utah, where I vacation every summer. But it is NOT recognized in Colorado, where my daughter lives. I thought about getting a Utah CCW because Colorado recognizes a Utah permit. However, after reading more carefully, I found that Colorado only recognizes "resident" Utah CCW's, not out-of-state. So that did me no good.

Colorado does allow a loaded firearm to be carried in your car without a permit. In the glove box, in the door, on the console, under your seat, it doesn't matter; I just can't carry it on my person. Ok, that's not too bad.

Interestingly, in Colorado you are NOT allowed to carry a loaded firearm with you on a snowmobile.
I wonder what happened that made them include that little detail?

·
Registered
785 Posts
However, after reading more carefully, I found that Colorado only recognizes "resident" Utah CCW's, not out-of-state. So that did me no good.
Yea, there's that...the whole 'resident' or 'non-resident' CCW....which makes no sense. You're either cleared and approved for the CCW or not, they shouldn't be lawyering the whole thing to death like that.

·
Registered
pt111 g2
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, really appreciate the feedback. Here is something i never thought about, i believe that in Texas even with a permit you can NOT carry openly or otherwize in someone elses vehicle. So that means if you get a ride from your friend or family member, you have to leave your weapon at home since the vehicle is not yours, assuming that is what they mean by being in control of the vehicle, or maybe that means you can drive and be ok but you cant be a passenger. Also in Texas you are ok to pick up your kids at school and carry in your car but dont get out of your car with the weapon. So the parking lot waiting for your child is ok but you must remain inside your car.

New Mexico also does not have a non resident license - when i ask them they said i had to be paying taxes in New Mexico in order to renew my permit there.

Anyway yeah i will still take the class here in Texas because NM does recognize TX license.

·
Super Moderator
37,003 Posts
Tell him to get one from Utah, cheaper to get and renew, covers the same states.
The UT permit was the first one that I got years before ILLinois passed the law here. The non-resident UT permit doesn't not allow carry in NM however. You are fortunate to have kept the NM permit after moving. ILLinois restricts theirs once an out of state DL is issued.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Thanks everyone, really appreciate the feedback. Here is something i never thought about, i believe that in Texas even with a permit you can NOT carry openly or otherwize in someone elses vehicle. So that means if you get a ride from your friend or family member, you have to leave your weapon at home since the vehicle is not yours, assuming that is what they mean by being in control of the vehicle, or maybe that means you can drive and be ok but you cant be a passenger. Also in Texas you are ok to pick up your kids at school and carry in your car but dont get out of your car with the weapon. So the parking lot waiting for your child is ok but you must remain inside your car.

New Mexico also does not have a non resident license - when i ask them they said i had to be paying taxes in New Mexico in order to renew my permit there.

Anyway yeah i will still take the class here in Texas because NM does recognize TX license.
Usually in the no gun zones, like a school parking lot, you can get out of the car to secure a gun in the trunk/ lock box, you just can’t stand around with it on your person. I’m not real fond of doing that because everyone who saw you putting the gun in the trunk now knows there’s a gun in your unattended car. So it’s a plan ahead kind of thing. I keep a high impact lock box tethered to the seat frame with a 15,000lb steel cable for such events(you’re supposed to be able to park a Freightliner on this thing and it not crack), like trips to the hospital and such. They aren’t big gun fans there either.

Reactions: 777Driver

·
Registered
82 Posts
many states do not recognize my WA permit. i was told its because many states want the test for a permit to be the same or higher for that state to be recognized. Wa state is a shall issue state that does not require a class or any training to get a ccw permit.

i visit vegas often , so got a non resident NV permit. had to take a class to get it. i have a friend that moved to AZ a couple of years ago and he got his az ccw to exempt for the fed bg check.

until all 50 states get con carry, its all a convoluted mess of laws, even city to city

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have played this game for a few years here in MS. I moved back from FL in 2015.
My FL ccw became a non resident when i notified FL that my address changed. MS is constitutional carry and the only reason to have the ccw is other states to recip. The MS resident ccw was recognized by less states than the FL non res ccw so i was just renewing the FL non res. But the reindeer games do not stop. Some states are now not taking non res premits. MS has come up with an "enhanced"ccw and now most states take it. Also in the state of MS , with the "enhanced"ccw, i can carry just about anywhere any time. you can't carry with "constitutional carry" in bars, schools, sporting events.. but you can with the "enhanced". so i got the MS Enhanced CCW to pick up a few more states as well. I have done all i can do to be legal and if "other" states make me illgal they will have their day in court. All states radified the constitution. Who is "illegal" is plan as Shall Not Be Infringed. How these states get away with it is beyond me. These states are beyond where i travel so that is the biggest reason. My day in court would be all of my friends , neighbors as we do not let our rights be stepped on here.

·
Registered
390 Posts

Anyway yeah i will still take the class here in Texas because NM does recognize TX li
Can you cite a statute where Texas law indicates one cannot carry openly in another's vehicle ? There are a lot of rumors floating around about carrying firearms in Texas, but one can carry openly if the handgun is in a holster...shoulder or belt.

If one lives in a state which has reciprocity with Texas, that individual may open or concealed carry in Texas. If NM does not have reciprocity with Texas, just get the permit and solve your problems.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
The bill of rights is not a choice. It is not a law. It is “a right that can't be restrained or repealed by human laws.” Shall not be infringed. No other right was worded as strong. These are self evident and not rules or guidelines.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Interestingly, in Colorado you are NOT allowed to carry a loaded firearm with you on a snowmobile.
Avalanches.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
abominable snowman lives matter.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The bill of rights is not a choice. It is not a law. It is “a right that can't be restrained or repealed by human laws.” Shall not be infringed. No other right was worded as strong. These are self evident and not rules or guidelines.
I know that, you know that, we all know that, but it hasn’t stopped anyone from trying.

·
Registered
pt111 g2
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can you cite a statute where Texas law indicates one cannot carry openly in another's vehicle ? There are a lot of rumors floating around about carrying firearms in Texas, but one can carry openly if the handgun is in a holster...shoulder or belt.

If one lives in a state which has reciprocity with Texas, that individual may open or concealed carry in Texas. If NM does not have reciprocity with Texas, just get the permit and solve your problems.
Hi, i got that from this video, he talks about it in the first 2 min of the video, the whole video is pretty interesting. He is a criminal trial lawyer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts