Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I figure since I have a question some else probably has the same question, so here it is.
I have been told if you have un-burnt powder you probably have to light of a charge. I have noticed that some of my reloads do leave a small amount of powder in the slide or in the cylinder. Not much but I do see some residue. In the M627 that I test fired and have a little problem with I noticed it. This could be a problem with my revolver. Anyway I thought I would ask since there is a vast amount of knowledge out there.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
34,953 Posts
Well, sorta. Dirty ignition can be from using a slow powder at too low a pressure (light charges) or it can be just the powder. As much as I like Unique, it does burn a bit dirty. Residue can cause build up at the forcing cone and start to jam the cylinder eventually if the gun isn't cleaned very often. This is a big problem with reproduction black powder guns, can start to gum up both at the forcing cone and in the cylinder crane/pivot even after just 50 rounds. You'd have to be a slob, likely, with smokeless and a modern revolver to see this problem even from Unique or some other dirty burning powder. I clean all my guns after every range session/use, personally, and I shoot unique all the time.

If you're trying to shoot something like 2400 or W296 as a squib powder, or in other words you're loading light or under optimum working pressures for that powder, you will see more unburnt flakes after a session than with something like Unique. You will also notice it not being very accurate with the slower powders and light loads because the standard deviation of a shot string will be rather high. IOW, the load won't produce very consistent velocity, lots of variability. Leave the slow powders to magnum high pressure loads and chose a fast powder for for the light loads, powders like Red Dot, Bullseye, WW231, DuPont PB.

I'll add, another source of smokey ignition is the lubricant used on cast lead bullets. Alox is pretty bad about this, but you need the lubricant to keep the leading down in the barrel.

·
17,582 Posts
It could be too light a charge, or an insufficient crimp / case tension on the bullet, or if it's a full charge of slow powder it might need magnum primers. The question is, is this unburnt powder or just normal residue.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Reloads, factory, what powder? Some are notorious for unburnt flakes like AA5744, IMR 4227, W296/H110 especially if they are not proper loads, primers, bullet weight, crimp, etc. Most of the time it doesn't matter for function or accuracy.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I sometimes, have put a small wad of polyester fiber in the case on top of the powder when loading light or target rounds. It keeps most of the powder at the bottom of the case so that the primer can do its job more completely. I is a trick I picked up many years ago and don't remember the reference now but it seems like it was guns and ammo.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
the other guys have pretty much hit the nail on the head!
usually if severly/ Heavily undercharged then you will begin to see soot/powder markings on the outside front (to all the way down the side) of the spent brass as enough pressure was not exerted to cause the case to expand and seal the cylinder against back flow of the burning gases.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts