Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got to the range to break in and test my new Umarex USA 1911's. Both guns ran great right out of the box with the exception of a few failures to feed with the black GI model (7 out of 100). The stainless model ate everything, no failures of any kind and was a blast to shoot. Both have crisp triggers with little creep and point of aim was point of impact with both guns at both 25 and 50 feet. My old eyes had a hard time with the sights on the GI model but it didn't matter as I was point shooting anyway. The novak style sights on the stainless model were much easier to pick up for me. Overall I am tickled pink considering that I paid <1000.00 for both out the door. I was saving up to buy a name brand .45 but I think I made the right choice for me by picking up two nice budget sidearms instead.

x101ABNDevil
R.I.P. PT42

Attachments

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
This company is ISO9001 rated which is an extremely prestigious engineering standard.

Their firearms are well made and should last many generations.

Congrats on a good decision...;)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This company is ISO9001 rated which is an extremely prestigious engineering standard.

Their firearms are well made and should last many generations.

Congrats on a good decision...;)
One of the reasons I choose this brand was because of the ISO certification, I know what my company went thru to earn ours....................

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Very nice pieces, and that's a stellar price! What ammo were you using when you got the FTF's?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Very nice pieces, and that's a stellar price! What ammo were you using when you got the FTF's?
I was using American Eagle, Remington and Blazer, all 230 grain FMJ factory fresh. I'll compare the throats and ramps and see if I can notice a difference between the two models. I also interchanged the magazines and had more failures with the stainless magazine than the blued one (3 vs 4) all failures with the GI model. If the problem persists I'll send it back to the factory for a tune up but that's the great thing about having two instead of one :).

X101ABNDevil
R.I.P. PT42

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought an Armscor Rock Island instead of the Umarex (only because the last Umarex in stock was the floor model which was all beat up). I believe Armscor is ISO certified as well. paid $400 for a basic GI 1911 that is an incredible shooter for the money. Proof you don't need to spend much to get a good 1911. I think I paid $500 for my Colt 1911 15 years ago..lol

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
I bought an Armscor Rock Island instead of the Umarex (only because the last Umarex in stock was the floor model which was all beat up). I believe Armscor is ISO certified as well. paid $400 for a basic GI 1911 that is an incredible shooter for the money. Proof you don't need to spend much to get a good 1911. I think I paid $500 for my Colt 1911 15 years ago..lol
I'm with you there, i love my $400 RIA. Even though i hate the GI sights on it, i'll have that cured one my 3-dots come in from Brownell's. Had to order a hammer strut and pin for the new combat hammer since i can't just pop out the original, so i figured why waste the box space. Picked up a set for $37, i don't need to get too fancy with them, but something more viewable will definitely be welcomed. Either way, they do shoot just as well as other 1911's i've shot. Even with speed shooting, the gun does pretty well at grouping shots together without much effort.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congrats on your acquisition of a fine-looking pair of 1911s! :guns:

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I feel like such a dummy. I opened this thread thinking it was about the .22LR pistols I was just reading about. I didn't even know they were making centerfire guns.

EDIT:

Wait... I just found this on the Umarex USA website:

Press Release for Regent .45 ACP 1911 Pistol - Umarex USA - UmarexUSA.com

The one and only Regent 1911 I have seen was a complete dog. I hope that one I saw was just one that slipped by the QA checkpoint. I would hope the normal is what the OP found with his two.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not purebreds but definetly not mutts either

I feel like such a dummy. I opened this thread thinking it was about the .22LR pistols I was just reading about. I didn't even know they were making centerfire guns.

EDIT:

Wait... I just found this on the Umarex USA website:

Press Release for Regent .45 ACP 1911 Pistol - Umarex USA - UmarexUSA.com

The one and only Regent 1911 I have seen was a complete dog. I hope that one I saw was just one that slipped by the QA checkpoint. I would hope the normal is what the OP found with his two.
I now have 250 rounds of hardball thru them each, as you can see the finish is holding up so far. The feeding problems with the G.I. model seem to be diminishing after a good cleaning as I only had a couple of FTF's last time out. I have to admit that no one would mistake these as a high end pedigreed purebred 1911 but they appear to be a good buy for a budget 1911 so far. I'm still tickled pink and grinning :)

x101ABNDevil
R.I.P. PT42

Attachments

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Glad to hear it sir, i hope you're enjoying it. Looks great with that new beavertail and combat hammer on there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts