Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean brass?

I have a large ultrasonic cleaner from a previous addiction, clock repair.

I've used L&R clock cleaning solution to clean brass clock movements and it works great. I'm assuming it should work fine for cleaning brass shells.

For those of you that do use an ultrasonic cleaner what kind of cleaning solution do you use?

·
Administrator
17,592 Posts
Tried it once in a shop I worked at with Dunk-it Solution. Cleaned the Brass somewhat, but did not polish it, which I feel is necessary for reloading. The Ultrasonic Cleaner is actually best used on cleaning guns, but polymer parts can be a problem with some solutions and some guns.

I use a Vibratory Bowl Cleaner from Midway and a blend of Media.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I alway wash my brass in a detergent solution before I place it in the vibratory tumbler, after letting it dry of course, and it only requires one bowl of media to polish. This step removes a lot of powder residue and other contaminants that would otherwise end up in the tumbler bowl and it also makes the brass squeaky clean too.

I think that using an ultrasonic cleaner would be even a better method to clean the brass before placing it in the tumbler and would surely remove more junk too.

Good idea nwsalmon.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Question... How clean is the inside of the shell casing suppose to be after tumbling.(45cal.) can it possibaly get as clean as the outside of the brass? THANKS

·
Administrator
17,592 Posts
A Shooting Buddy of mine recommends Apple Cider Vinegar as a Cleaning Solution for Brass, with, or without the Ultrasonic Cleaner. I've not tried it yet, myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts