Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if the ultra-lites have better accuracy with lead or jacketed bullets ? I normally use a 158gr LHP but wondering if I should run some jacketed thru it to "break in" my barrel a bit...Experiences welcomed

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you've already run some rounds through than anything you hope to gain from 'breaking in' will be a moot point. It's already been broke in as much as it's going to be. Breaking in needs to be done from the beginning before putting anything else down the pipe. As for which is better for accuracy, I haven't really noticed a difference or preference from one to the other in my M85. If it's within 50 yards, it's owned. Anything further out and I switch to my rifle.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Most guns only shoot as well as you do. True, some accuracy will vary with some brands and types of ammo, but for concealed, self defense carry, the smart money is on jacketed, or semi-jacketed HPs.

If you're looking for a match grade tack driver, then get rid of the snubby and look for something else. Snubby revolvers are designed for up close combat shots on a human torso, not necessarily using the sights. In combat, you really don't want to put all of your shots into the same hole anyway, but want them spread out, causing as much damage to as many organs as possible.

·
Super Moderator
35,426 Posts
My 85UL will lead the bore pretty bad at much velocity, so I load with JHPs for social purposes, shoot light lead loads at the range. I've tried several SWCHPs, but it doesn't like that stuff. With either light lead or JHPs , the gun will shoot 3" groups off a rest at 25 yards. That's pretty danged decent in my book. But, feed what your gun tells you it likes. If it likes lead +Ps, fine. I just know mine told me to get off my cheap arse and buy it some JHPs. :D I've owned a lot of .38s and .357s and non of 'em was this picky about lead bullets. I'm not real sure why it doesn't like shooting lead over 900 fps, but it doesn't. It will lead the bore up in short order. Of course, I might have broken in the bore by now, over 6K rounds through it, but I still rely on JHPs for defense. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
32,734 Posts
Winchester's +P 158gr. LSWCHP has the hardest lead, yet expands almost as dynamically as the softer Buffalo Bore and Remington brands of that nature.
Federal is somwhere in between.

I practice with standard pressure lead loads and the 85CH has little problems. Do shoot the Remington +P 158gr. LSWCHP through mine and don't have major leading problems. Then again, it's just one case and I only shoot 20-30 rounds of +P to stay current at the monthly practice sessions. Not 50 or more +P loads like some people shoot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts