Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, anyone ever try an ultrasonic cleaner on gun parts? I was thinking of giving it a try on the barrel of my PT145, getting all the carbon out of the rifling is giving me a minor fit. I've been scrubbing it with a bronze bore brush and Hoppe's #9, but I just can't seem to get that last little bit of crud out of the grooves.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
actually i've heard that they do a excellent job on guns, problem is they're expensive to buy the machine and the chemicals..

but i've heard that they do a great job none the less.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I agree with both posts, I don't have one due to the costs, but all I have heard and read they are great.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You might try your local gun shop/gun smith. My shop/smith/range has a machine and they'll clean it for you. I haven't asked about price, but I only have 300 rounds through mine and they've all been jacketed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses, I'm going to look around and see if maybe I can pick up a cleaner used or on Ebay.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I know my stepdad had one for his dentures and loved it, lol.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
iirc harbor freight sells smaller cleaners like would be fitting of handguns for like 99 bucks.. my understanding is it's the chemicals you use in it that cost so much.. i dont suppose using water would be such a good idea.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My buddy bought one about a year and a half ago for 50 bucks online it’s a jewelry/eyeglass/watch one but fits his XD and his brothers Glock with room to spare. You could probably but an OSS length in it with no problem he does not buy the chemicals. It came with a 12oz bottle and when he ran out he started using simple green and water. He can’t tell the difference he said. Even the chemicals are only 12 dollars for 12oz bottle. I’ve never put mine in there but im going to the range with him next week, Ill plop it in the cleaner and see how it works. May post some pics before/after for y’all to see. Just Google ultrasonic cleaner and the ones that pop up first and second is the kind he has $30-$80 range.

·
Administrator
18,276 Posts
Simple Green will work as long as you don't leave the gun in it, too long! Use it at 50% strength, max. Do not use it pure/straight. Simple Green has a tendancy to eat the Anodizing off of Aluminum frames. One of my Pistol Clubs members left his PT92 in straight/pure Simple Green over night and his Black/BLued PT92's Frame came out in the White/Stripped Metal condition. I refinished it with Flat Black GunCoat.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My buddy just puts a laundry detergent cap of simple green in along with however much water the cleaner holds probably like a gallon or so.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I bought a cheap (relatively - $59) ultrasonic cleaner @ Harbor Freight and a jug of Simple Green @ Walmart. I'll let you guys know how it works Monday after I get back from the range.
/fingers crossed

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ultrasonic cleaners also do a great job of stripping off any lubricants. So be sure to grease/oil your parts appropriately after ultrasonic cleaning. It will also remove some paints and a friend of mine neatly stripped away all the painted dots on some sights that he put in the cleaner.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My ex left a small one here that she cleaned jewelry in. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip on simple green also. I use it on my RV...

·
Registered
846 Posts
Dollar General sells a product called Mean Green in a 32oz. spray bottle. I spray it on my brass brushes, rods, etc. then hit with water, cleans grease, oil, etc. off in seconds. Never used it on guns though, great price. Works great on outdoor grilles, etc. also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, sorry about not getting back to yas sooner. Sometimes intentions are superceded by events at my house, LOL.

I ran the barrels only of my PT145 and Kahr K9 thru an 8 minute cycle in a 50% solution of Simple Green. Neither barrel came out spotless, but there was not a <drop> of oil left on them, which I attribute mainly to the cleaning solution.

Anyways, the PT-145 barrel was much easier to get **** and span, I'm happy with the result as it saved me a good bit of elbow grease.

Thanks for all the tips you guys gave me with this!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have one at work just sitting there.....Might have to put it to use

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a UltraSonic cleaner(5 gallon size) off Ebay. It will do 4 pistols easily all at one time. I then bought a 4 gallon jug of Dunk-IT from http://www.cylinder-slide.com. I put this into my ultrsonic cleaner and it cleans even the hardest to get to places with ease. Plus Dunk-IT cleans and leaves a protective coating all in one.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com

CS111 - C&S UNIVERSAL Dunk-Kit 4 Gallon

Click here http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=Dunk to read usage information. Dunk-Kit was developed by a friend of mine who is an old-time pistol shooter. He developed Dunk-Kit some years ago to thoroughly and quickly clean his .45 and .22 target guns. He brought me a gallon of Dunk-Kit and asked me to try it and give him some feedback on how I thought it worked. To say the least, its the best damn gun cleaner I've found. Take wooden handles off the pistol and is safe on polymer frames too. If you have ever cleaned the bolt on a AR-15 you know how carbon can get into the tinest places. This process cleans it like it's new. Idon't let my guns set int he stainless pan of the ultrasonic cleaner because it can scratch off the bluing on some firearms. So I put mine into a plastic type basket that won't scratch the metal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts