Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know guitars, but I don't know uke's. Wife wants to get one for a grandaughter who we believe will put it to good use. Not looking for pro stuff, and trying to stay in the $50 range, if that's even possible to get anything half way decent.

Anyway, if anyone knows anything about them, input would be appreciated.

Had a cheap one when I was a kid. I remember it had a plastic fretboard. I remember my dad playing it, and singing 'Has Anybody Seen My Girl'.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,938 Posts
Ukulele Advice?

My first thought was DONT!

But then you said granddaughter

So I'm good, and for a granddaughter move your limit up to $100.
🤑

If I had known grandchildren were going to be this much fun, I would've had them first.
😂🤣😂

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Bought my daughter one from Walmart a couple years ago, she loves it. Here's a link to a search i made, i bought the second one since it came with color coded stickers for the neck to help beginners.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ukulele Advice?

My first thought was DONT!

But then you said granddaughter

So I'm good, and for a granddaughter move your limit up to $100.
🤑

If I had known grandchildren were going to be this much fun, I would've had them first.
😂🤣😂
Thanks William, but wife already pulled the trigger. Found a good beginner concert size, with a lot of good reviews, on Amazon for $55. That's enough for something that 'could' end up in the closet.

·
Super Moderator
36,024 Posts
Probably won't get it done in time for Christmas, but if she takes to it you could build her one that she will cherish forever.

·
Registered
27,323 Posts
Depends on what you want to spend. You can get a Fender or Ibanez for $100. Then there are brands I know nothing about all the way down to $30. I'm going to suggest going down to your LGS (Guitars, not Guns!) and seeing what they've got; what they'll stand behind.

·
Registered
18,797 Posts
I was gonna' get a ukulele but at my age...:confused:...Tiptoe Through The Tulips comes out more like Bunions Bounding Through The Begonias.

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
PLEASE spend more than 50 bucks...just a little. I bought a Cordoba all mahagony soprano uke for my adult sister about a year ago and it was fantastic. Under $80 but it was on sale. I think the regular price was $89. I was amazed that such a quality instrument could be had for that price...and I owned and operated a music store that sold nicer quality fretted instruments for many years. Not a pro level instrument, but it had great intonation, playability and real good tone, and the fit and finish was impressive, too.

One thing to beware of with less expensive Asian made brands, though: It's very unlikely that there's a "Cordoba Ukelele factory" somewhere. Instead, some investor owns the brand name "Cordoba" and contracts the building of the instruments to some factory in China, Korea or Malaysia. So, he could work out a deal with a different factory and suddenly be turning out a very different type of product than what I bought last year. But as of last year, the Cordoba that I bought was very good. Lanikai is another affordable instrument of decent quality. Stay away from the $39 bargains in bright colors.

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
This young woman is one of the best players I've heard.
Very popular on the islands.

·
14,938 Posts

·
14,938 Posts
Italian lute, that would be lira right?

:rolleyes:

Reactions: rodfair
1 - 20 of 23 Posts