Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first bought a Taurus 1911 it was when they first came out. I dealt with a broken safety out of the box. I bought a new one and hand-fit it myself. Sold the sucker.

Well, I just bought a 2013 Talo model and guess what, another friggin broken safety. Sooo, I guess I'll be buying another ambi and repairing. I would have thought the new 1911's would have resolved this issue. Grrrrrrrr.

I cannot remember what ambi-safety I got the last time and I'm sure there are new ones out there. Anyone recommend a new safety? I have the files and knowledge, just need the part.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Wilson and Ed Brown are two very popular aftermarket safeties. I think you will find that the Wilson's are probably
the most popular, but also a few dollars more. Being a right hander, I S-canned the ambi and put in an STI single
sided saftey. It's held up well, but if I ever replace it, I'll go with a Wilson "Bulletproof".

·
Registered
37,357 Posts
UMM? by broken safety i assume that you mean that it has seperated??
IF not man lay of lifting the weights your thumbs are much to strong already!
as for fixing the problem I think they pretty much have, we seldom hear of this problem and none of my 3 newer Pt1911's have any problems with the ambi.
Shoot any good quality ambi safety is fine, i wouldn;t buy a really cheap unit as they generally require a lot more filing, fitting etc.
just decide what you want (standard, tactical, extended, extended tactical) and go for it!
Actually If I ever have to go near the thumb safety on a PT1911 the thumb safety is replaced with a single left safety, i really do not like those huge Taurus ambi safeties on the 1911.

Reactions: oso

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Yes your saftey is broke, i agree with olfarhors any quality saftey will hold up. If you are right handed i would do away with the ambi-saftey, IMO i see no advantage, actually disadvantages to ambi-safties unless you are left handed. I installed a wilson combat extended tactical thumb saftey on my pt 1911 and have had no problems at all.

·
Registered
37,357 Posts
Heh, nope it was already broken. I attached a pic.

OK, thats it for you!
go buy a 6 pack of beer, find yourself a nice comfy place on the couch, turn on the basketball tourney or Nascar race and stay out of those health clubs and away from the exercise equipment!--OH get some tater chips and dip too!
-----------------------------------------:lifting:-----------------------------------------------
Don't think that i have ever seen one of the ears broken off a swenson safety?
I did notcie a lot of what looks like rust on the backside of the safety?
anyway, time for a new one for sure!

·
Administrator
35,793 Posts
When the PT1911 first came out, thats all you really heard about was the safety breaking. They fixed it with the second big run of that gun, and I've not heard much about it except sparsely.

I'm moving more and more to the line of thinking that ambi safeties on a 1911 is asking for trouble....although I've never had an issue with mine at all. If I ever replace it, I think it will be a regular one since I don't shoot left handed much anymore.

Reactions: olfarhors
1 - 7 of 7 Posts