Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking all over the internet, the least I've found the Cattleman Hombre is $330.

These are $259.99 and have a 4 3/4" barrel, and since I don't have a Single action currently and have been wanting one, I think I just found one. .357 magnum

Does anyone have anything against Uberti?

Academy - Uberti 1873 Cattleman Hombre New Model .357 Magnum Revolver

·
Registered
32,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Administrator
39,945 Posts
I think they're popular with the cowboy action shooters. I don't own any Uberti products, but I've heard tell, their quality is good. Every Texan, should own at least one cowboy style single action revolver! :thumb:

·
Registered
32,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish they were blue instead of matte finish, but at that price, I won't complain! Also, I have a ton of .38 special and .357 mag ammo so I won't be adding a caliber I don't already have.

With the matte finish, I also won't have to worry about wiping off fingerprints to keep from rusting.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I just love the "cowboy" style pistols, I've got a "Fllipietta" made in Italy..It's a 45 cal and looks just like a Uberti!!! But I've never heard of the Fllipietta brand..... nice looking gun though....

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Wish I had the extra cash but money is tight. I already have a Colt clone JP Sauer Western model. It was made in the 50s or 60s. It is chambered in .45 Colt. The .45 Colt is a bit more expensive to shoot than .38 Special (or .357) but packs more punch. I also have a nice western rig to carry the pistol. The Sauer I have is the same pistol that Matt Dillion carried on Gunsmoke.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Wish I had the extra cash but money is tight. I already have a Colt clone JP Sauer Western model. It was made in the 50s or 60s. It is chambered in .45 Colt. The .45 Colt is a bit more expensive to shoot than .38 Special (or .357) but packs more punch. I also have a nice western rig to carry the pistol. The Sauer I have is the same pistol that Matt Dillion carried on Gunsmoke.
I love the Uberti guns myself I own two Uberti Cattleman one 7 1/2" and 5 1/2" barrels as well as an ASM (no longer made) in 4 1/2" barrels. These are all in 45 colt as is my Rossi 92 rifle. All including my 12 ga shotgun are case hardened/blued finish. Below is the last of my 1873 colt style revolvers. My holster rig is custom made and is a match for an F. A. Meanea from 1880 to 1890 period (gun shown is a Ruger 45)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Have owned several over the years. Last one was a 45 acp/45colt, having both cylinders was nice. It shot as well as most Rugers, one of those guns that after you let it go you think DUMMY, most people are smart enough not to do dumb things like that.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Im not really a Single Action wester style revolver kind of a guy...That being said a new 357 Magnum for $259.99 is a Bargain anyway you look at it. Delivers the big bang and explosive round and results of a 357 Mag, yet allows for shooting the less expensive .38Spl ammo for everyday plinking. Size wouldn't make a good CCW but could be a hoot in states that allow open carry.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Im not really a Single Action wester style revolver kind of a guy...That being said a new 357 Magnum for $259.99 is a Bargain anyway you look at it. Delivers the big bang and explosive round and results of a 357 Mag, yet allows for shooting the less expensive .38Spl ammo for everyday plinking. Size wouldn't make a good CCW but could be a hoot in states that allow open carry.
I sure don't think they are practical for CCW either. I've seen it done even with an IWB setup but usally with a shoulder rig and occationally an OWB. The tend to be too wide and a touch heavy to me for that.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
But they definitely are a beautiful reminder of the glory days of the west.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
These are OC only :) ! I had a stainless 6" Ruger Blackhawk in .357 I wish I had never gotten rid of that gun.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
These are OC only :) ! I had a stainless 6" Ruger Blackhawk in .357 I wish I had never gotten rid of that gun.
I understand what you are saying. I had a Ruger Vaquero Bisly in .45LC stainless that I sold here a couple of months ago. I just didn't care for the single action western style. A few weeks ago I traded for a Ruger Redhawk .44mag with a 5.5" barrel in stainless and love it. Yes, the Redhawk is a SA/DA revolver, but I find I almost 99.9% of the time pull the hammer back anyway. Guess it was not a matter of like or not like....just a big case of excess cranial gas (IE: brain fart).

·
Registered
32,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
When I was 21, I did conceal carry a single action handgun one time, this was in November of 1969 in Torrence, California. I took a 2nd job at a gas station when gas stations were still full service and I was working the night shift. My idea was to make some extra money for Christmas.

I was a small town Texan living in the big city and felt somewhat intimidated by it all anyhow, and as I was working the night shift by myself, I took the only handgun I had, only it was a .22, but like I said, it was all I had.

My plan was to leave it in the desk at the station. Then I decided I needed it on my person, and finally ended up with the solution of putting the barrel down into my hip pocket of my Wranglers and wrapping and tucking one of those red oil checking rags around the frame and handle.

These were still the days when the attendant went out to the island, filled the car with gas, washed the windshield and checked the oil. As the night wore on, I became more paranoid and about 2:00 am as my paranoia was peaking, I had a car with four fairly rough looking fellows of a different ethnicity than my self drive up in the bay.

I had two of those red rags, one in each hip pocket and as I was checking the oil, I decided it would do no harm to arrange my second red rag so the rosewood grips and brass back-strap would plainly show as I went about finishing my duties for that car.

I only worked that job two nights as I wasn't getting enough sleep and my day job was a good job. My nieces and nephews were just going to have to settle for not as nice gifts from Uncle Ronnie.

A single action Colt clone is not one of those guns that fulfills any real need unless you are a Cowboy action shooter. A lot of handguns and long guns many of us own are not really to fill a need, but more so they just fulfill wants or other intrinsic pleasure.

My needs and various applications for conceal carry, hunting, target shooting, defend the castle and hold off the Ruskies and Zombies guns were fulfilled some years ago. The guns I buy anymore are simply to have and to hold guns.

On a related note, I called out to Academy yesterday before driving out and they had just sold the last one. They are supposed to have two more come in on Friday so I may pull the trigger tomorrow. I do have situations that I feel like I need to hang on to that money and Academy's regular price is only $20 higher (still a bargain) so if I get out to Academy and they are sold out, I will see about a rain check.

I'm at a point that I usually allow myself to buy only one gun a year (unless I trade in one of my present guns), and my goal gun for this year is a bolt action .308. I keep hoping a used .308 Ruger M77 with a scope already mounted will show up at $500 although I will look seriously at a Ruger All American in .308 when it hits the shelves.

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
WOW Jake,
Full service gas stations, checking under the hood, carrying red cloth rags in your pocket and actually making customer contact......you must be really old.....LOL!! I bet you can remember when if you filled your gas tank up you got a tigers tail to hang from your gas cap. Or for a fill up and a few pennies you could get a big green inflatable dinosaurs. And heck fire, the price of gas per gallon was less than what we now pay in tax per gallon.
Boy how I miss those days....yeah, I'm old to!!!

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
If I recall correctly, Uberti is now owned by Beretta and Uberti is also the maker of the Beretta Stampede.

As to SA revolvers in general - everyone should own at least one "cowboy" gun. I love my Ruger SS Vaquero Convertible .45LC/.45ACP.

·
Premium Member
11,143 Posts
Uberti makes a quality repro single action. I've had a 44mag version, which was an absolute monster to shoot. I also used to own a Stampede in 45colt. It was a well made firearm, that I wish I'd never sold. I still have an Uberti 2nd model dragoon black powder 44 hand canon.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
If I recall correctly, Uberti is now owned by Beretta and Uberti is also the maker of the Beretta Stampede.

As to SA revolvers in general - everyone should own at least one "cowboy" gun. I love my Ruger SS Vaquero Convertible .45LC/.45ACP.
You are correct but they also make Cimarron and Taylor also.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Jake, I was at Academy this morning picking up some .22 mag for another gun and I was required to walk past the gun display. I got a good look at that Umberti Cattleman Hombre. It looks like a "working" gun built to take some abuse from the weather and so forth. The finish was some kind of Duracoat or parkerization and the brass grip frame was finished matte, not polished. For the money, it looks like a good all around .357 as a ranch gun or a hunting backup piece.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts