Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TX22 Shooting High Survey

Some members have a TX22 that shoots high and others have one that shoots to POI. I read here that one member wondered if Taurus knew of the potential problem and changed the front sight to a higher one to correct it.

My TX22 was born on 3/27/19. I was told the date when I registered my TX22 by phone. The serial number is 1PT01024X. My front sight is 0.193 high and my rear sight is 0.212 high on the top sighting edge in the lowest position (as shipped from Taurus). I haven't been able to shoot my TX22 yet so I have no idea of how it will shoot or hit.

If there is a problem and Taurus did correct the problem then the earlier TX22 pistols will have a different set of sight heights than the later ones. I don't believe this is related to the older black boxes and the newer white boxes (and the lack of or inclusion of a mag loader) but you never really know.

So, please measure your sights and post the results along with your serial number (X out the last one or two numbers) and if you are or are not shooting high. This should show if there is a problem with the sights or if it is just random with no range of pistols to relate to. Even if you haven't shot your TX22 yet, it will show if Taurus made a change in the sights.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My front sight is .1875" high & rear sight is .1875" at the top edge & .9375" at the bottom of the notch, lowered all the way. Serial # is: 1PT0054XX. I ordered shims for the front sight & will post results after they arrive.

·
Registered
37,070 Posts
UMMM?
just wondering out loud here?
but does ?
1) Taurus adjust the sights at all prior to shipment?
2) what is the distance sights are adjusted for?
3) what is the ammunition that the are adjusted for?
4) are (If they are) the sights adjusted from a standing hold or a bench rest?
I am guessing likely NO in all counts--but if not then the out of box totally depends on who thought the sights were lined up at final assembly--could have been Clarence the cross eyed Brazilian Taurus employee!
same with the owners results, if shooting free hand then it would really depend on the shooter as to placement of rounds.

·
Registered
114 Posts
UMMM?
just wondering out loud here?
but does ?
1) Taurus adjust the sights at all prior to shipment?
2) what is the distance sights are adjusted for?
3) what is the ammunition that the are adjusted for?
4) are (If they are) the sights adjusted from a standing hold or a bench rest?
I am guessing likely NO in all counts--but if not then the out of box totally depends on who thought the sights were lined up at final assembly--could have been Clarence the cross eyed Brazilian Taurus employee!
same with the owners results, if shooting free hand then it would really depend on the shooter as to placement of rounds.
Highly unlikely Taurus sights guns in. Any gun I've ever bought required sight adjustment to get poi to match poa. I believe what Mark B is trying to ascertain is if Taurus had to change front sight height to correct running out of rear sight adjustment to get on target.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My front sight is .1875" high & rear sight is .1875" at the top edge & .9375" at the bottom of the notch, lowered all the way. Serial # is: 1PT0054XX. I ordered shims for the front sight & will post results after they arrive.
I'm wondering how you got a 0.9375" (just shy of 1") at the bottom of notch. Bottom of notch would be less than your 0.1875" top edge measurement.

·
Registered
37,070 Posts
Highly unlikely Taurus sights guns in. Any gun I've ever bought required sight adjustment to get poi to match poa. I believe what Mark B is trying to ascertain is if Taurus had to change front sight height to correct running out of rear sight adjustment to get on target.
understood that ( and by the way I have several weapons that required no adjustment out of the box) but back to the discussion at hand--MY point is that dependent on the shooters ability or inability it could print anywhere really.
high low, left-right-shotgun pattern etc.
I mean I see shooters that can't hit a B-27 at 10 yards and insist that something is wrong with the pistol and or sights.

Reactions: BangBang

·
Registered
37,070 Posts
the zero makes a huge difference in the context of sight measurement
.09375 vs .9375 or in fractions 3/32" vs 15/16"

depends on which end that you place it doesn't it?
and where that funny lil dot is at.
sorry don't do fractions as I went to public school.
I am .500 percent sure of that.

·
Registered
114 Posts
the zero makes a huge difference in the context of sight measurement
.09375 vs .9375 or in fractions 3/32" vs 15/16"

depends on which end that you place it doesn't it?
and where that funny lil dot is at.
sorry don't do fractions as I went to public school.
I am .500 percent sure of that.
now that's funny...you only have a half of 1% surety you went to public school? ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I was able to shoot my TX22 today. The factory sights are right on target. I did not have to adjust anything. I did find that you have to be careful in aligning the sights. If you are off just a little you will shoot high. Carefully lining up the three dots made my TX22 shoot good.

Each target is one full mag. Top left was first. Top right second. Bottom left third and bottom right last.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Sighting in a new gun is part of the fun. Also, different companies use different points of aim-12 o'clock, dead center and 6 o'clock, in general.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Fredward has brought up a very good point. Mytx was dead on when I took it out of the box but I shoot with a 6 o clock hold. As I get older and my eyes get a little weaker I find it is much easier to see a three or four inch black circle then a little tiny one inch Orange X-Ring. A 6 o clock hold actually makes me a much more accurate shooter.

Assuming that every shooter who has trouble with the tx-22 sites is shooting exactly the same way with the same point of hold would naturally lead to the idea that the gun and the sights on the gun were at fault. To immediately buy new sites or shim the sites that you already have is not the most productive reaction. Maybe, try shooting the gun using a different point of aim...

Don

Reactions: Dan51

·
Registered
37,070 Posts
Sighting in a new gun is part of the fun. Also, different companies use different points of aim-12 o'clock, dead center and 6 o'clock, in general.
very true--BUT--- I do believe that Taurus has always (at least in many , many years) had a dot on POI as the standard for its sight system, not a 6 O'clock hold, so maybe they should (and they may) include the sighting pattern for the gun.
The only taurus weapon that I have owned with adjustable sights was the 709 and honestly that rear sight moved around so much I couldn't tell ya how it was sighted?
the other is my old PT99 and I have had it so long that I can't remember how it was sighted in 1987 when I got it, now its a typical combat sight--IE dot is where the bullet hits!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Fredward has brought up a very good point. Mytx was dead on when I took it out of the box but I shoot with a 6 o clock hold. As I get older and my eyes get a little weaker I find it is much easier to see a three or four inch black circle then a little tiny one inch Orange X-Ring. A 6 o clock hold actually makes me a much more accurate shooter.

Assuming that every shooter who has trouble with the tx-22 sites is shooting exactly the same way with the same point of hold would naturally lead to the idea that the gun and the sights on the gun were at fault. To immediately buy new sites or shim the sites that you already have is not the most productive reaction. Maybe, try shooting the gun using a different point of aim...

Don
So you're saying, don't fix the problem, just aim differently? If all my (9) handguns hit different places I'd need to remember where to aim each one. I couldn't settle for that. Fortunately 8 of 9 hit point of aim.

·
Registered
37,070 Posts
the vast majority of my 9 MM that do not have adjustable sights hits about 2-3 inches low at 7 yards and in.
about 1 inch low at 15 yards and dead on at 25 yards, most are set at 25 meters accuracy at the factory.
course the adjustable sights can be pretty much moved anywhere.
that's with 124 grain standard pressure 9 MM ammo.
I figure for my use thats more than accurate enough unless trying to defend myself against a really, really, really short Midget.

Reactions: MarkB

·
Registered
114 Posts
As I suspected Taurus does not sight their guns in and in particular the TX22. And how could they...at what distance would they sight them it at? And with what ammo...standard velocity, high velocity, hyper velocity? Would they use a 6 o'clock hold or a center hold.

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

1 - 20 of 34 Posts