Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only had my TX22 for a few months. When I was trying out a new holster I saw the rack slide when I put it into the holster. So I double-checked to make sure the safety was engaged and tried to rack the TX22. That is when I discovered I can rack it and chamber a bullet while in the safety was position. Has anyone else been able to do this. None of the other types of Taurus we own are able to do this. I am waiting to hear from Taurus.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I know some S&W m&p pistols with thumb safeties can as well. Haven't handled a TX22 other than in a store and didn't try.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My TX 22 will allow racking the slide with thumb safety on or off. However, if the trigger has been pulled on an empty chamber, the thumb safety will not engage untill the slide has been racked.
As far as I know, the only pistol that I know of that the thumb safety also locks the slide is the 1911 series, all brands.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,702 Posts
Taurus PT series will not allow the slide to move, with the safety on.

Reactions: Smokewagon

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think this is the first Taurus built that has an optional manual safety, my guess that is why it can cycle with the thumb safety in either position, probably same for S&W M&P series.

·
Banned
157 Posts
Hmm, if If the gun is the manual safety model, the safety lever will remain in its lower, disengaged position. Then while holding the pistols in one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It does not make sense to design a firearm that does not allow the action to be retracted when the manual safety is set to on. That's a big safety problem if you have a misfire and need to clear the action, especially if the gun has one of those very light triggers.

There are some bolt action rifles that there is a lock safety mode on the safety switch that prevents the bolt from being opened and is on safe. (Fire, safe, safe and lock bolt)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts