Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
G3, G2C, PT92, 24/7 Pro C DS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 8 acres in the woods.

I have multiple 9mm handguns, a 1911 45 acp, an AR in 5.56 and several 12 GA shot guns for bird and deer.

But the KEY caliber I'm missing in my arsenal, is the 22LR.

And now on the property, I'm seeing everything from opossums and ***** to groundhogs and feral cats... closer to the house than I'd want.

I know riffles are great for long range. But I'm talking close contact, trap type extermination of these vermin.

So instead of getting another riffle, I wondered if the TX22 could do the job?

Plus I'd have another pistol for plinking and perhaps even carrying if for some dumb reason all my other guns were unavailable.

What do you think?

Am I on to something?

Or should Ijust get a 22 riffle?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Might be fun with a pistol. I belive the tx22 competition with a red dot would work great. I've grilled my animals with a rifle over the years. I switched the year to handgun hunting for deer more of a challenge and something different. Pistol weights less and easy to travel with hiking your property. Also makes it challenging to squirrel hunt with. I read an article in a gun book where man was using glock 44 for armadillo control. Give it a go. Also remember you can suppressor it and be super quiet.

·
Registered
197 Posts
just get a RUGER 10/22 rifle ( half as expensive and twice as accurate as as a tx .22 pistol , unless you want to give the vermin a sporting chance and wound more . get a . 22 pistol or 2 or 3 for fun . don`t overlook the heritage rough riders for plinking or what ever .... just my humble opinion -----

·
Administrator
40,384 Posts
Just about any .22 is sufficient for the purpose you mention. I’ve used one for years, both rifles and pistols, for snakes, skunks, cotton rats, and even mice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have shot rattle snakes with a verity of .22 pistols, have kill shots to head on 1st round more than on third. This take a lot of practice, I used to hike in desert shooting at sticks and stones for fun. It paid off. .22 pistols are great.

·
Registered
G3, G2C, PT92, 24/7 Pro C DS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We'll, I'm convinced... it was a toss up between the PX22 or the GX4 (totally unrelated) as my next gun.

But I can actually justify more reasons for the TX22 per my original post.

thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Although a rifle is not as handy as a handgun, it will be easier to shoot accurately, particularly at longer ranges. The TX22 is an excellent choice for a handgun but, you will need to practice with it to get proficient enough to reliably take out the vermin on your property.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Eight acres is nice but it may not be enough property to shoot or hunt with a firearm. Check your state laws. In Virginia and Kentucky your have to own 20 acres or more.

Groundhogs are TOUGH and shot placement in the heart/spine/head is imperative. They are pretty skittish too.
I killed 24 groundhogs in 18 months on my property in Virginia. I took them all on the edge of a field 50 yards away from a blind with a scoped 10/22.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
23,086 Posts
But I'm talking close contact, trap type extermination of these vermin.
Handgun shotshells are a good choice for that task. I've had good success with .38 shotshells for it.

·
8,974 Posts
For the price a 10/22 would be a better overall choice for your purposes..However I have taken bunches of squirrel/possum/armadillo with the TX22,,even a few big cats (bigger than bobcats) who were decimating our free range chickens. Or even better. Get both!!! 😁

1 - 12 of 12 Posts