Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I just noticed that when a round is racked into my TX22 via hitting the slide release, it's putting a significant dent in the bullet near the tip. I've never seen this happen in any of my other guns, but I've never owned a 22 and don't know if this is just a 22 thing or not. The dent is about 2mm wide and 1mm down from the tip. All I can figure is that it's slamming into the top of the chamber on its way in and getting a chunk taken out of it. If I rack it by hand, it looks fine. I haven't fired it yet to see if it happens when shooting as I'm a little concerned about this issue and wanted to find out if it was normal before I did.

Please advise, thanks!

·
Registered
253 Posts
It's a 'slide lock' not a slide release. You should be pulling the slide back all the way and then letting it go, to chamber the round.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ignoring the semantic argument, it still chews up the bullet even if you allow it to cycle by pulling the slide back. The only way it doesn't is if you manually rack it and hold it all the way through.

·
Supporting Moderator
14,827 Posts
Ignore tomatoes or tamahtos

Load it and shoot it. Those machines move a lot faster, than you can move them, when you are shooting. If it runs enjoy it.

It may feed ammo from one manufacturer better than it does another. Find the one it likes and enjoy. Later try the others again.

BTW

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just trying to help.

So if you 'ride the slide' and cycle it slowly, it's okay? Might be a mag loading issue...are you using a mag loader or doing it by hand? Some have reported problems using mag loaders...

·
Administrator
39,376 Posts
I’m a firm believer in trying the simple fixes first. Like William above says, shoot and see. Could be, a different ammo manufacturer solves the issue. If not move to another remedy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sadly I haven't been able to shoot it yet, I am still waiting for a range to open up. Looks like things might start opening here around May.

I looked at it again today - You can actually see a crescent from where the round hits the feed ramp hard, and then a nick on the opposite side from where it's hitting the top edge of the chamber on its way in. Nick is putting it mildly, it's a pretty significant gouge.

I'm not using a mag loader, I just thumb them in. CCI minimags and velocitors. Tried all 3 magazines I have, and it's the same in all of them.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

Can you post a pic of the damaged round?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure. First one shows the nick from what I expect is hitting the top edge of the chamber, the second shows the nick from hitting the feed ramp. Bullet was totally normal before hand, double checked. It's repeatable, I can mulch an entire magazine if I wanted to (not spring tension dependent).

One other thing - I have the new version barrel. With tighter tolerances. I know this because the barrel wants to stick out a little still when reassembling, and you have to put a little pressure on it from the muzzle to get it to snap in place. So it might be a tolerance issue, who knows. I'd love to talk to Taurus about this but their support request form makes it look like they won't consider it unless it's been broken in. Maybe I'll try them anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are you sure this isn’t being caused by the feed ramp? If it is definitely the slide lock then I would simply use the sling shot or similar method for loading a new mag.

I had heard of older LCP feed ramps kissing the next round in the mag and denting it with a little smiley face.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had a similar issue with some golden bullets and only in the beginning. It never happened with minimags. My notes -

(golden buillets): A few missfeeds due to nosedives in both mags. After a few more mags it was ok. Probably needs careful mag loading and some more break in, maybe try some minimags nextRimlock is a thing with 22 lr, loading the mags carefully and making sure reach round at feed position is firmly held up not pivoting at rim.
a few more nosedive jams due to rimlock, only happened with the golden bullets. minimags no issue. One golden bullet case got stuck after firing, the case had split and was jammed hard. Had to use a pocket knife to pry it out.

Also you could clean your new mags and be sure the follower moves well. I bought a bunch of extra mags and they needed light sanding inside to run smoothly.

It's been great after that, and I tested Aguila Super Extra plated LRN, which work very well, and cheaper than minimags.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i have been experimenting using a 10 rd magazine in my misbehaving tx22 , and am starting to think they work better than the 16 rounders . single stack - less spring pressure - little different nose angle ?
10 rounders are easy to find on ebay . anyone else have any thoughts or experience with this ???????????? loading with lakeline mag loader with no particular care or attention to detail -
just dropping them in -- i can live with less capacity for better feeding -

·
Registered
213 Posts
I ran across the same thing with a .40 s&w mag only if I loaded to max of 12rds , loaded with 10rds it was OK , It took about 50 to 60 loading to work out .
Good Luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I did another little test - Before I ejected a round that was slammed in by slide lock/releasing by hand I pulled the slide back a little and marked the case with a pen to make sure I knew the orientation of the damage. The wider crescent is definitely pointing down at the feed ramp and the narrower notch near the nose of the rounds is definitely coming from hitting the top edge of the chamber.

Jeez I wish there was a range open.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I shot my TX22 the 1st time,I had the same problem. After bumping and reloading the mags several times ,the problem vanished. My guess is that the magazine
had crud in it and should be bumped to get it out. Good luck !

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I bought a bronze slide TX not that long ago. With my first one, the 16 round magazines had to get the sharp edges out. So they fed correctly. With this one, it was a little worse. I recently went through a brick of .22 CCI Blazer to make sure they were good to go. Some wet/dry 600 grit on a stick helped get rid of the rough areas with mold seam marks.

If not, the rounds feed low and hit the ramp.

Maloy

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I suspect, this problem will improve with shooting the gun a few times. I will have to check if I have the same issue as I've just shot mine and haven't really paid attention to how the rounds are chambered. My gun is pretty accurate though and 100% with CCI standard velocity and Federal Automatch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought my TX22 but have yet to shoot it. I'm getting the same "smiley face" damage to the base of the bullet just above where it crimps into the case when racking the slide to chamber a round. I'm not getting any damage to the tip of the bullet, though, just the "smiley face." I don't believe it's the magazines or crud in the magazines. If I ride the slide gently into battery I get no gouge. If I let go of the slide and let the spring do it's job then I get a gouge similar to what Steersnbeers shows in his photos. The feed ramp really isn't all that sharp to the touch. I may try stoning it very lightly, but I'm going to wait until I've run a few mags through to see if the problem persists.

Did your pistol ever stop damaging rounds, Steersnbeers?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey folks, just chiming back in - I finally got out to the range. Shouldn't have worried, gun ran fine. I only got to put about 7 or 8 mags worth through it before I had to move on, but it ran 100%, no failures. Did about half minimags and half velocitors. I will report back when I can put more significant numbers through it but I don't anticipate any issues. One thing I didn't do was check if it stamped the bullet with the feed ramp when shooting (as in - fire one, eject the next to see if it has the problem). I will do so when I get out to the range next.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts