Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TX22, Purchased in April with 3-4 thousand rds fired (nothing hotter than CCI MINI MAGS). While doing a usual cleaning I noticed that the front of the slide where the recoil assembly is housed was CRACKED! The recoil spring assembly had worn away the right side of the slide which resulted in the slide cracking. You could see where the aluminum inside of the slide was shiny & worn. This happened within 3 months since purchased. I returned it to my LGS where it was purchased middle of June & it's been at Taurus ever since. I checked with Taurus yesterday about repair status and they told me it was still under review (???) and would probably be another 6-8 weeks. Anyone else hear of this problem. I love the gun , but this quite disheartening.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
A steel slide will not work, it is too heavy for a 22 caliber round to cycle. Nobody uses a steel slide for a 22 pistol. Even Rock Island which uses a steel slide had to cut the top half out of the slide like a model 92 to get the weight low enough for the 22 round to cycle the slide.

Don

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
My first semi-auto 22 handgun was a Phoenix HP-22A with a MSRP of $149. It specified SV ammo but I couldn't find it and used the lower powered HV ammo in it. The slide cracked on it at around 3,500 rounds I called Phoenix because it has a lifetime warranty but didn't expect they would honor the warranty because I had been using "unapproved" ammo in it. They didn't ask me anything about the ammo and simply asked that I mail the slide to them. I mailed the slide to them and got a new slide back in exactly a week (Virginia to California and back).

·
Registered
915 Posts
3-4 thousand rounds is a lot of ammo,nevertheless the slide should perform almosy indefinitely.If you can get us some Pics.I scrutinized mine after your post and 1,500 rounds and no wear .good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have two. One with close to twp thousand rounds, one with about three hundred rounds fired. The only wear I see is on the ejection port top where the empties come through. I fire HV 1200 FPS almost exclusively.

·
Super Moderator
36,010 Posts
The "review" part of their answer indicates to me that they will be sending a new pistol. Just my opinion. Repairs usually take 8-10 weeks now...replacements longer since they have to sit around and second guess the gunsmith's opinion...:rolleyes:

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Until my son comes over to help me post pictures on the forum, I would be glad to email them. Please be warned that most of the photos are quite crappy, but there are two that show the crack & the wear on the inside of the slide.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
3-4 thousand rounds is a lot of ammo,nevertheless the slide should perform almosy indefinitely.If you can get us some Pics.I scrutinized mine after your post and 1,500 rounds and no wear .good luck.
My CZ KADET ADAPTER has well over 15,000 rds fired in the 8+ years that I've owned it. I have only had to replace the firing pin, extrator & recoil spring. Accuracy is as good today as the day i brought it , which by the way is outstanding.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My CZ KADET ADAPTER has well over 15,000 rds fired in the 8+ years that I've owned it. I have only had to replace the firing pin, extrator & recoil spring. Accuracy is as good today as the day i brought it , which by the way is outstanding.
Yes, I bought one too. It's hard to believe the accuracy of a so called adapter kit isn't it? More like a custom .22 handgun.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, I bought one too. It's hard to believe the accuracy of a so called adapter kit isn't it? More like a custom .22 handgun.
If I bring two or three 22's to the range with & start with the Kadet the others never leave my gun bag. Once I start shooting it I can't seem to quit until I run out of ammo. Yesterday I put close to 300 rds through it. I make sure I bring no more than that or I'll never get home. LOL!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tx22-once i get it back. What would you do?

I'M sure that Taurus will have to send me a new tx22 because of the cracked slide. This is the 1st time I have ever has to send a gun back. In all the years and countless firearms bought & sold, new and used I have never had an issue that required a return. Since it will brand new & unfired,should i just off it and take the money and run. I have to say that Ive really enjoyed shooting it, but Taurus has had the gun longer then I have.I shoot a lot, a real lot. I just don't know if its going to hold up.

·
Registered
36,283 Posts
well you gotta make that choice yourself, you just never know what the future holds for you.
Personally I have sent more Taurus weapons back than all my other brands together, a lot more in fact.
so with MY track record/luck and with the current policies about parts, repair times etc I don't have that particular problem any longer.
wish you luck in either direction that you take.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Well that's always a tough question but if it were me and I loved shooting it I would keep it going. Sometimes it's worth rolling the dice.

Reactions: Sekol and bobbojama

·
Super Moderator
17,699 Posts
What's a "real lot"?

I'd stick with it if you like it. Things happen. I had a hammer crack on a S&W K-22 once. They fixed it. I didn't consider dropping the brand because of it. Sometimes I look at a Taurus and say to myself "I don't know how durable this thing is going to be". But none of that doubt has been born out in practice. I don't have any TX22 experience but it looks pretty stout for a .22.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts