Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So disappointed with this gun was looking forward to competing with it. A few other people in facebook group are reporting same issue. It shoots beautifully until it doesn't cycle. It's so far off that it's actually squishing and bending the bullets. It's happening with all different bullets. It's done it to every brand I've tried and others report same story. Anyone else out there having this issue and found a fix before I send it to Tsurus. I hate to have to send it in, but can't compete with this thing the way it is Totally bummed. I'm at a loss as to what is going on with these. Imy original runs great that's why I took the chance on another Taurus but am starting to regret it now. Anyone ?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
First, disassemble the magazine and clean it really CLEAN. Pay attention to the edges of the magazine-follower, that it rides up and down ion the magazine smoothly before you reassemble it. Then apply some dry lubricant.

Second,, polish the feed ramp judiciously, in the same direction the bullet travels, NOT with a Dremel wheel, but by hand with a really fine abrasive wrapped around a small dowel.

Gently deburr the mouth of the chamber, to be sure the bullet does not hangup on the chamber-mouth.

Last,, there is some skill involved with managing the feed lips of the magazine. Polishing them inside,is step one, as there may be a slight burr that stops or slows the stripping of the fresh cartridge from the magazine, and the angle of the cartridge in the magazine has a lot to do with it.. Do not start bending the mag lips unless you (ABSOLUTELY) KNOW what you are doing.

Try all that and get back to us.

Reactions: PTDOUDE and jdavis

·
Registered
177 Posts
And here I thought the tx22 was the winner and the kel-tec p17 was junk. Everything I've been hearing lately has been the exact opposite.

·
Registered
902 Posts
And here I thought the tx22 was the winner and the kel-tec p17 was junk. Everything I've been hearing lately has been the exact opposite.
In all fairness, the TX22 is a fine pistol, this is the newer TX22 Competition Model, it may have a few teething issues, but then again, plenty of users are also reporting the same high level of reliability we've seen from the standard TX22.

Now the P17 had some SERIOUS jamomatic issues when it was released, those seem to be going away, but I still wouldn't buy one, since the barrel is non-removable. Must be a pain for cleaning.

Reactions: ChrisH

·
Registered
102 Posts
First, disassemble the magazine and clean it really CLEAN. Pay attention to the edges of the magazine-follower, that it rides up and down ion the magazine smoothly before you reassemble it. Then apply some dry lubricant.

Second,, polish the feed ramp judiciously, in the same direction the bullet travels, NOT with a Dremel wheel, but by hand with a really fine abrasive wrapped around a small dowel.

Gently deburr the mouth of the chamber, to be sure the bullet does not hangup on the chamber-mouth.

Last,, there is some skill involved with managing the feed lips of the magazine. Polishing them inside,is step one, as there may be a slight burr that stops or slows the stripping of the fresh cartridge from the magazine, and the angle of the cartridge in the magazine has a lot to do with it.. Do not start bending the mag lips unless you (ABSOLUTELY) KNOW what you are doing.

Try all that and get back to us.
This one, if nothing happens, then you might need a professional help.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,241 Posts
Pin on slide keeps backing out since the first time I shot it.
And you didn’t send it back to Taurus? You may be too late for warranty now.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,241 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having the same problem, the gun works fine if you only put 6 rds in it. Put 16 or 15 and it jams alot. bending rds.at least 3 jams per mag.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
I am having the same problem, the gun works fine if you only put 6 rds in it. Put 16 or 15 and it jams alot. bending rds.at least 3 jams per mag.
sounds like it wants to be one of them Revolver thingies?
for me seriously nothing is worse than a firearm that malfunctions--well except a NEW firearm that malfunctions continously.

·
Super Moderator
37,226 Posts
welcome to the forum. Yours sounds like a mag spring issue. Maybe load those mags and leave them sit for a few days. Also disassemble and clean them looking for rough spots on the followers or in the barrel of the mag. Don't lube them with anything wet, 22 ammo is notoriously dirty and will foul up the action of feeding.

Reactions: PTDOUDE and ChrisH

·
Registered
8 Posts
welcome to the forum. Yours sounds like a mag spring issue. Maybe load those mags and leave them sit for a few days. Also disassemble and clean them looking for rough spots on the followers or in the barrel of the mag. Don't lube them with anything wet, 22 ammo is notoriously dirty and will foul up the action of feeding.
I have cleaned the mags, polished the feed ramp took the gun out and out of 100 rds hade 21 bent bullets. I am beginning to think it"s being caused buy the recoil spring. first ten rds jam every other round then the last six run fine. Gun is going to taurus. .

·
Super Moderator
37,226 Posts
I have cleaned the mags, polished the feed ramp took the gun out and out of 100 rds hade 21 bent bullets. I am beginning to think it"s being caused buy the recoil spring. first ten rds jam every other round then the last six run fine. Gun is going to taurus. .
Wasting 22LR rounds is a sin these days. Let us know how it works out.

Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wasting 22LR rounds is a sin these days. Let us know how it works out.
Just checked with ups they want 50.00 to ship back to taurus. That"s BS. I hade to send a ruger back for repair a couple of years ago, They paid the whole freight, even picked the gun up at the house and returned it here.I think I will just sell this ;jamo matic.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have you contacted Taurus CS? I’m sorry you’re having this problem, my Competition is an absolute blast to shoot. The only problem I have had is the mount that is attached to the barrel came loose. At first I thought it was my Holosun. I dropped some blue loctite on the screws that hold the mount and no more problems.

·
Super Moderator
37,226 Posts
Just checked with ups they want 50.00 to ship back to taurus. That"s BS. I hade to send a ruger back for repair a couple of years ago, They paid the whole freight, even picked the gun up at the house and returned it here.I think I will just sell this ;jamo matic.
They pay the return freight in the early days of ownership of a new pistol. Four months comes to mind. It's the best reason to wring them out right after receiving them. Taurus will send a label at your cost if it's not free freight and I think it might be cheaper than 50.00. Shipmygun.com is run by Bud's guns and the cost may be cheaper also.

Reactions: PTDOUDE
1 - 20 of 42 Posts