Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
The sharp end of the recoil spring at the end of the muzzle is shaving away at the slide. This is after 200 rounds fired. I bought a Lakeline LLC steel guiderod and spring which has a blunted end. Taking a metal file and filing down the sharp end of that recoil spring could also work.
I had to do that to a Ruger LCP I had, when they first came out, back in 2008. Who ever the person was running the lathe they were running their guide rods on, wasn't paying attention, and it was so rough on the finish, that I had to fix the problem myself. It was tearing up the guide rod hole, in the slide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to do that to a Ruger LCP I had, when they first came out, back in 2008. Who ever the person was running the lathe they were running their guide rods on, wasn't paying attention, and it was so rough on the finish, that I had to fix the problem myself. It was tearing up the guide rod hole, in the slide.
You didn't just send it back to Ruger? I am sure they would have replaced the rod/spring/slide.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Taurus came up with an innovative design that folks liked, but apparently didn't do their homework on how well an aluminum slide would hold up, even for a rather weak round like a 22 LR. It's possible that a high grade aluminum (which they claim they were using) may be strong enough to hold up, but maybe they cheaped out and made their slides out of a cheaper grade. They already had problems with barrels that were not rifled properly. I know any manufacturer can have problems, but Taurus seems to have more than average, and they aren't always very good standing behind their products. It may be that they had a run of slides that were made with an inferior grade aluminum and they're aware of it but don't want to issue an expensive recall and take another PR hit, and will just sit and wait to see how many they get back from customers. This is unfortunately a rather common practice in industry where a defect is known but they will hold off as long as they can with announcing a recall, and will hope they can get by with just having to do repairs for a number of unhappy customers. No matter how often a company states how important their cutomers are, bottom line decisions are always about money. This defect probably wouldn't result in a injury when it broke and the round likely will have fired and now the slide is dead because of the broken piece. My 25 year old S&W 622 is made from an aluminum alloy and it has way more than 10K rounds through it without problems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Taurus came up with an innovative design that folks liked, but apparently didn't do their homework on how well an aluminum slide would hold up, even for a rather weak round like a 22 LR. It's possible that a high grade aluminum (which they claim they were using) may be strong enough to hold up, but maybe they cheaped out and made their slides out of a cheaper grade. They already had problems with barrels that were not rifled properly. I know any manufacturer can have problems, but Taurus seems to have more than average, and they aren't always very good standing behind their products. It may be that they had a run of slides that were made with an inferior grade aluminum and they're aware of it but don't want to issue an expensive recall and take another PR hit, and will just sit and wait to see how many they get back from customers. This is unfortunately a rather common practice in industry where a defect is known but they will hold off as long as they can with announcing a recall, and will hope they can get by with just having to do repairs for a number of unhappy customers. No matter how often a company states how important their cutomers are, bottom line decisions are always about money. This defect probably wouldn't result in a injury when it broke and the round likely will have fired and now the slide is dead because of the broken piece. My 25 year old S&W 622 is made from an aluminum alloy and it has way more than 10K rounds through it without problems.
I just sent in my TX22 for OP's problem, less than 2500 rounds in. I am not even sure if I can trust what they will send back.

What are the odds you think they send me the "advanced" aluminum slide, and a recoil assembly that won't dissolve it away in 2 months?

This pistol seemed like such a winner, I was ready to give Taurus a chance like I would a modern Kia/Hyundai but if they are still having QC and customer service disasters then that's no progress.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You sir are awesome for helping that vet out. I sent it back yesterday 7/24/3020. I'm thinking of buying another one while I wait. I love that gun. If they would put a steel lug or real aluminum not pot metal for the first 1/2" of the slide it might hold up. I tip my hat for your service on helping that gentlemen getting his tx22 back in a few hours. Should come up with an after market slide that will actually work. I'd pay 250 for that.
I agree that was a really nice thing to do for him. I have seen pictures of several of these slides that have broken off at that point where the "loop" for containing the recoil assembly meets the end of the slide and every one looked like the slide was made from cast metal metal rather than milled from a solid piece of 7076 stock. Taurus knows they misdesigned this, but won't do an expensive recall and will just deal with unhappy customers on a one off basis, just like they did with the bad barrels. Plus this isn't a safety defect as the rest of the slide remains intact, just the gun is now out of commision. It is uncertain when a slide might fail, but generally it's after a few thousand rounds so for some folks they may never reach the limit, and for others maybe in just a few months or a year of heavy use. The gun has a lot going for it, but I'd hate to have it fail on me and have to wait for Taurus repair. I sent a G2c back to them and they turned it around in 4 weeks but didn't fix the main problem and sent it back for me to take it apart and grind and polish everything to get it working, it reminded me of what you'd get from a sleezy auto repair shop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just sent in my TX22 for OP's problem, less than 2500 rounds in. I am not even sure if I can trust what they will send back.

What are the odds you think they send me the "advanced" aluminum slide, and a recoil assembly that won't dissolve it away in 2 months?

This pistol seemed like such a winner, I was ready to give Taurus a chance like I would a modern Kia/Hyundai but if they are still having QC and customer service disasters then that's no progress.
Hate to say it but I'd bet Taurus will replace the slide with the same thing, they don't seem to like to make upgrades once something is in production as it cuts into their profit margins. A friend bought 2 Spectrums many months apart and we noticed that the spent carridges were showing that the primers were buging outward which is indicative of a poor loose fit of the breach facing and the primer. He sent one back and they said they did something to it but when he got it back it had the same problem and the second one had something like 40,000 higher serial number and it had the exact same problem. Again they knew the specs were poor on that and they did nothing to correct it and probably figured most people might not notice something like that, plus redesigning it to the correct specs would have cost them money to fix it and that's not in their DNA.

·
Registered
10 Posts

This is exactly what I kept telling my friends, that it is the equivalent of a modern Kia or Hyundai. Will you keep us updated on your return/repair journey? I have about 1000 rounds through mine, and am noticing wear/burr/chip start to develop on the slide "loop". My serial # is 1PT349XXX by the way.

I was going to order a recoil spring from ssguiderods.com because unlike Lakeline LLC they put a washer on the end of the recoil spring that meets the slide. I ended up not going for it because their spring is 11 lbs., and I read somewhere that the stock spring is 8 lbs., so I didn't want to run the risk of cycling issues.

My next step is to go to Home Depot, pick up some O-rings or slim washers and install them on the OEM recoil spring myself. I'll keep you guys posted on how it works for me.

This is my first .22 pistol, and I absolutely love it! The only other issue I had was the slide locking back on a non-empty magazine after the first 300 rounds or so. It would lock back about 2 or 3 times per magazine, occasionally. With the help of this forum, I was able to diagnose the culprit as a weak Slide Lock Spring (Part 29 on the manual). I went to Home Depot, picked up a punch set for those 4 pins on the frame, found the spring and stretched it some. Put it all back together and shot about 500 rounds with 0 issues. About a 3 beer project difficulty, but I'm happy with the results so far. I will also report back if the slide begins to lock back again.

Thanks to everyone here on TaurusArmed.net for the knowledge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The sharp end of the recoil spring at the end of the muzzle is shaving away at the slide. This is after 200 rounds fired. I bought a Lakeline LLC steel guiderod and spring which has a blunted end. Taking a metal file and filing down the sharp end of that recoil spring could also work.
Of couse if they were built better then this wouldn't be necessary. Though this may be a contributing factor, I also believe that their choice of metal for the slide is ultimately failing after repeated shocks from the slide slapping down on every cycle. Other manufacturers use better materails and don't see this happening to their slides. It might be the grade of alloy they're using rather than because it is made from an aluminum alloy, afterall inferior components are cheaper and increase profits as long as customers continue to buy it. My old S&W 622 is made from an aluminum alloy and has never had any problems after many unknown thousands of rounds through it, and all I have done in 25 years is clean and lubricate it.

I like the idea of the TX22 design, but won't buy one knowing there is a glaring weakness to a critical part waiting to fail. I have firsthand experience with Taurus Warranty Repair service and what I received was very shoddy and incomplete work. Think I'll wait for a competior with a better reputation come up with a direct competitor to the TX22.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is exactly what I kept telling my friends, that it is the equivalent of a modern Kia or Hyundai. Will you keep us updated on your return/repair journey? I have about 1000 rounds through mine, and am noticing wear/burr/chip start to develop on the slide "loop". My serial # is 1PT349XXX by the way.

I was going to order a recoil spring from ssguiderods.com because unlike Lakeline LLC they put a washer on the end of the recoil spring that meets the slide. I ended up not going for it because their spring is 11 lbs., and I read somewhere that the stock spring is 8 lbs., so I didn't want to run the risk of cycling issues.

My next step is to go to Home Depot, pick up some O-rings or slim washers and install them on the OEM recoil spring myself. I'll keep you guys posted on how it works for me.

This is my first .22 pistol, and I absolutely love it! The only other issue I had was the slide locking back on a non-empty magazine after the first 300 rounds or so. It would lock back about 2 or 3 times per magazine, occasionally. With the help of this forum, I was able to diagnose the culprit as a weak Slide Lock Spring (Part 29 on the manual). I went to Home Depot, picked up a punch set for those 4 pins on the frame, found the spring and stretched it some. Put it all back together and shot about 500 rounds with 0 issues. About a 3 beer project difficulty, but I'm happy with the results so far. I will also report back if the slide begins to lock back again.

Thanks to everyone here on TaurusArmed.net for the knowledge.
I did a follow up, here:

My TX22 repair service center experience - Positive...

Took it to the range last weekend, shot 400 through it and it feels fine. Locked back on the last round of every mag except once, which the old slide would often fail to do. No problems ejecting, only one failure to feed (half way through the magazine) but that was probably from me loading it sloppy. I use the Wingman +5 extensions and a 22UpLula

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
If you take that to a good machine shop they can probably weld it back on pretty easily. Might cost some money but you'll be able to use the gun again in this lifetime. That's some awful thin aluminum for the job it has to perform.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you take that to a good machine shop they can probably weld it back on pretty easily. Might cost some money but you'll be able to use the gun again in this lifetime. That's some awful thin aluminum for the job it has to perform.
I would never recommend trying to weld the slide back together. I would like to think that any gunsmith of reputaion would never try welding it and would advise anyone wanting it to the potential dangers of doing so. Better off sending it back and getting another similarly poorly designed slide that should last for at least a while, but if it catastrophically fails, then Taurus would be held responsible. Doubt most gunsmiths would want to take on the potential risk.

·
Registered
37,343 Posts
I would never recommend trying to weld the slide back together. I would like to think that any gunsmith of reputaion would never try welding it and would advise anyone wanting it to the potential dangers of doing so. Better off sending it back and getting another similarly poorly designed slide that should last for at least a while, but if it catastrophically fails, then Taurus would be held responsible. Doubt most gunsmiths would want to take on the potential risk.

ahhhemm!
Once again--DUCT TAPE---SUPER GLUE!!!

·
Registered
37,343 Posts
Duct Tape, the handyman's super weapon. And if super glue can stick your fingers together, just think what it could do for a slide.

yes and remember I speak with some training in the field as well!
Font Circle Rectangle Symbol Paper product

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got my TX22 back. This is exactly what they did

Thought the brand new slide was good to go, 400 rounds in and look what is already happening

Microphone Audio equipment Office supplies Camera accessory Cable

I don't understand, if it's such a core design flaw (steel spring hitting aluminum slide) why isn't this happening to every TX22?

Aren't there other manufacturers making pistols with aluminum slides, that do just fine?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got my TX22 back. This is exactly what they did

Thought the brand new slide was good to go, 400 rounds in and look what is already happening

View attachment 475891
View attachment 475892

I don't understand, if it's such a core design flaw (steel spring hitting aluminum slide) why isn't this happening to every TX22?

Aren't there other manufacturers making pistols with aluminum slides, that do just fine?
Not sure if it was you that mentioned that there was a sharp edge at the end of the spring that had been smacking against that very area. He suggested a carefull filing of that edge to perhaps stop this. Looking at that makes me wonder if a thin stainless steel washer could be fitted into that indentation so the end of the recoil spring would be up against that and not the actual aluminum. It would need to quite thin, very durable, and be a perfect fit so that it wouldn't impact the normal recoil spring assembly action and slide operation. Yours is looking like it is a failure waiting to happen. My feeling is Taurus won't do a recall and won't spend the time and money redesigning the slide to prevent this and would rather deal with a certain number of folks unhappy that their slide broke and now they have to deal with sending their gun back and enduring 8 - 12 weeks or more turnaround. Not everyone will have their slides fail on them after X number of rounds, and not everyone shoots a lot so they might only put 500 or less rounds a year through it so it might not manifest itself for several years. From a cost standpoint Taurus makes out as long as they're selling these as fast as they can make them and apparently not enough negativity about the defect for folks to stop buying which might cause them to actually be willing to fix it, especially since the end breaking off like that probably would not cause a safety danger to the owner or bystander. Stepping up and doing the right thing is not likely to cross their lips.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How has your TX22 held up now, since it's been 2 months?

Since you were already noticing some damage appearing, has it gotten any worse or does it seem stable enough now to forget about it?

·
Banned
1,035 Posts
Not sure if it was you that mentioned that there was a sharp edge at the end of the spring that had been smacking against that very area. He suggested a carefull filing of that edge to perhaps stop this. Looking at that makes me wonder if a thin stainless steel washer could be fitted into that indentation so the end of the recoil spring would be up against that and not the actual aluminum.
Here they've capped off the front end, so there are no sharp edges to dig into the recoil spring housing on the slide -

Taurus TX22 Stainless Steel Guide Rod • Stainless Steel Guide Rods

PERFECT. THIS IS THE WAY.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up my tx22 in March 2020. Love the gel similar to my p-10c anyway. My tx22 goes out to the range almost every range trip. Maybe have 1500 rds thru it not much. Today 7-21-2020 took the tx22 out to the range got to loaded up 3 mags 1st no problem ate them all next mag fired 15 rds and noticed that it was out of battery I rack the slide back and something fell off the gun. The fricken guide rod housing on the slide just broke off Now there is nothing holding the slide to the lower half of the gun. What just happened. Here's a couple photos. I'm not sending this thing back cause I heard it's joke sending anything back to Taurus so I'm gonna see if I can get a new slide maybe bronze🏽
I picked mine up in January 2021. Two weeks ago the same thing happened to mine. After around 1000 rounds the slide broke in the exact same manner. Taurus said ship it back. I boxed it up and went to FedEx and found out it would cost me $117 because it was a firearm. I just ordered a new slide for $99. Limited lifetime warranty is a wonderful thing if you live close to the company, but not if you live somewhere else.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts