Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I picked up my tx22 in March 2020. Love the gel similar to my p-10c anyway. My tx22 goes out to the range almost every range trip. Maybe have 1500 rds thru it not much. Today 7-21-2020 took the tx22 out to the range got to loaded up 3 mags 1st no problem ate them all next mag fired 15 rds and noticed that it was out of battery I rack the slide back and something fell off the gun. The fricken guide rod housing on the slide just broke off Now there is nothing holding the slide to the lower half of the gun. What just happened. Here's a couple photos. I'm not sending this thing back cause I heard it's joke sending anything back to Taurus so I'm gonna see if I can get a new slide maybe bronze馃徑

Attachments

Registered
Time for a trip to the Mothership.

Reactions: olfarhors

At this point you really have no choice, but to send it back to Taurus. Finding another slide will be near impossible. So calm yourself, take a breath and reach out to Taurus tomorrow. Please realize all pistols can have a defect, including S&W,Ruger, and on and on. I have had to send several back for repair. I would try and use the chat function ( if it is up ) , or via contact page. Phoning them works sometimes, depends on how many calls and how many agents. You will be calling Bainbridge GA, and they are running half staff due to Covid. Patience will get you a long ways, Taurus will want it back so they can spend some time diagnosing why the slide broke. Its a real bummer, but life is just that way sometimes. I am at 1200 rounds through my TX-22 and all is good so far, I inspected my slide and no cracks or wear.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
At this point you really have no choice, but to send it back to Taurus. Finding another slide will be near impossible. So calm yourself, take a breath and reach out to Taurus tomorrow. Please realize all pistols can have a defect, including S&W,Ruger, and on and on. I have had to send several back for repair. I would try and use the chat function ( if it is up ) , or via contact page. Phoning them works sometimes, depends on how many calls and how many agents. You will be calling Bainbridge GA, and they are running half staff due to Covid. Patience will get you a long ways, Taurus will want it back so they can spend some time diagnosing why the slide broke. Its a real bummer, but life is just that way sometimes. I am at 1200 rounds through my TX-22 and all is good so far, I inspected my slide and no cracks or wear.
Yes I will contact them tomorrow and see if they can take care of me. I'll tell em it's my edc and my life depends on that gun.

Registered

LOL. The bold above gave me a great laugh since the virus started. Like Taurus gives a flying flousy as to why the slide broke. They'll replace the slide and they'll send the gun back in 11 or 12 weeks.

Registered
Hope they get you fixed up quickly.

Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

Registered
It's funny that I seen this post. I helped a gunsmith fix this very problem on Wednesday. He milled the broken section flush to the slide bottom. I milled out a step piece of 7076 to fit over the front, with a new seat and drilled and tapped it to the front with 4 M3 x .5 cap screws.

You can't run a suppressor on it now, but it worked. Not counting the cap screws, the slide is .200" or 5mm longer.

Now the owner wouldn't say how it happened other than it was his fault. You should have seen the look on his face when it worked. Then you should have seen his face at a $250 bill. We did it on the fly in about an hour. No charge for my labor or the aluminum that was scrap otherwise. He calmed down after the shop owner told him $50 and no guarantee it would hold.

Red Loctite on M3 x .5 screws in aluminum, might as well be welded. It has a industrial kludge look to it, but it worked. If I'd had the right size endmill and a little thicker piece, I'd have counter bored for the cap screws.

And NO I'M NOT making anymore. I did this to help a retired Korean War Vet I know and this is the only handgun he has and can rack the slide. My friend the gunsmith is going to take $10 payments for 4 months since all he could pay that day was $10. If we gave it to him, he would have refused it.

While I still get anxious over liability, it felt better to fix his gun while he waited than for him to be without one for months.

It also gave me ideas for my TX22's. So if you have some machinist friends and some 3/8" to 1/2" thick aluminum plate, you could fix it. The muzzle is now recessed, so a suppressor is out of the picture unless you make an extended adapter. If I had the time to do over, I'd recessed the screws, and cut a v-notch between the slide face and the plate to have a small weld on each side and dress it off and duracoat. The hole for the barrel was about .02" bigger for clearance and not needing perfect placement.

No tap clearance hole in the plate. We drilled and tapped the first hole clamped together put a screw in it for the second hole. Once the second screw is in place, the other two are a piece of cake.

Maloy

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
It's funny that I seen this post. I helped a gunsmith fix this very problem on Wednesday. He milled the broken section flush to the slide bottom. I milled out a step piece of 7076 to fit over the front, with a new seat and drilled and tapped it to the front with 4 M3 x .5 cap screws.

You can't run a suppressor on it now, but it worked. Not counting the cap screws, the slide is .200" or 5mm longer.

Now the owner wouldn't say how it happened other than it was his fault. You should have seen the look on his face when it worked. Then you should have seen his face at a $250 bill. We did it on the fly in about an hour. No charge for my labor or the aluminum that was scrap otherwise. He calmed down after the shop owner told him $50 and no guarantee it would hold.

Red Loctite on M3 x .5 screws in aluminum, might as well be welded. It has a industrial kludge look to it, but it worked. If I'd had the right size endmill and a little thicker piece, I'd have counter bored for the cap screws.

And NO I'M NOT making anymore. I did this to help a retired Korean War Vet I know and this is the only handgun he has and can rack the slide. My friend the gunsmith is going to take $10 payments for 4 months since all he could pay that day was $10. If we gave it to him, he would have refused it.

While I still get anxious over liability, it felt better to fix his gun while he waited than for him to be without one for months.

It also gave me ideas for my TX22's. So if you have some machinist friends and some 3/8" to 1/2" thick aluminum plate, you could fix it. The muzzle is now recessed, so a suppressor is out of the picture unless you make an extended adapter. If I had the time to do over, I'd recessed the screws, and cut a v-notch between the slide face and the plate to have a small weld on each side and dress it off and duracoat. The hole for the barrel was about .02" bigger for clearance and not needing perfect placement.

No tap clearance hole in the plate. We drilled and tapped the first hole clamped together put a screw in it for the second hole. Once the second screw is in place, the other two are a piece of cake.

Maloy
You sir are awesome for helping that vet out. I sent it back yesterday 7/24/3020. I'm thinking of buying another one while I wait. I love that gun. If they would put a steel lug or real aluminum not pot metal for the first 1/2" of the slide it might hold up. I tip my hat for your service on helping that gentlemen getting his tx22 back in a few hours. Should come up with an after market slide that will actually work. I'd pay 250 for that.

Registered
There have been a lot of reports on cracking. His is so far the first one I seen broken with my own eyes. I have two of them and have been somewhat concerned with this happening to mine, and have given thought to how to fix one without sending back to the factory. When I clean them I'm always looking for cracks. Yesterday, I sat down to play with AutoCAD to come up with an alternative. I'm still concerned about the longevity of our fix.

I found out yesterday, that he's been playing with his and is so far happy not sending it back. I'm personally torn on what I would do if it was mine. If I sent one back, I'd still have the other. The one I bought back in February 2019, has had more than a case of .22 through it. My bronze one is probably around 5 bricks. I think it is only a matter of time we'll see used parts on Ebay.

My first one had the factory recoil spring eating the seat, and I didn't take the chance and replaced both with Lakeline's spring assembly. The first one has Lakeline's reddot base, I kept the bronze with it's factory sights for now. I'm so tempted to put TFX Pro sights on it.

Now I don't know what alloy my P-07 Kadet kit is made from, but it is thicker at its spring seat than the TX.

Maloy

You sir are awesome for helping that vet out. I sent it back yesterday 7/24/3020. I'm thinking of buying another one while I wait. I love that gun. If they would put a steel lug or real aluminum not pot metal for the first 1/2" of the slide it might hold up. I tip my hat for your service on helping that gentlemen getting his tx22 back in a few hours. Should come up with an after market slide that will actually work. I'd pay 250 for that.

Registered
Now I don't know what alloy my P-07 Kadet kit is made from, but it is thicker at its spring seat than the TX.

My CZ75B Kadet kit is close to 10yrs old and has well over 100,000 rds through it. Still looked brand new after 10yrs. Only items replaced were the recoil spring, firing pin and extractor. I don't think you'll have anything to worry about.

Registered
That's wicked... if this is a common issue after the 1000 round mark.. Taurus reputation iis going to take a steep drive as I have seen A LOT of guys buying this gun.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
While I wait for my Tx22 to get replaced. I went to my local ffl and almost pulled the trigger on another tx22 but I didn't.I picked up something different and well the slide is steel soo. Here it is grand power k22x trim they wanted 330 for a tx22 or 500 for the k22 with 3 mags. Oh and the barrel actually has rifling. Huh who would have thunk. image_1595891338507.jpg

Registered
While I wait for my Tx22 to get replaced. I went to my local ffl and almost pulled the trigger on another tx22 but I didn't.I picked up something different and well the slide is steel soo. Here it is grand power k22x trim they wanted 330 for a tx22 or 500 for the k22 with 3 mags. Oh and the barrel actually has rifling. Huh who would have thunk. View attachment 465343
You just purchased an outstanding firearm and absolutely made the right choice. Buying a 2nd Taurus TX22 turd would have been a big mistake IMHO. I wish I could find a k22 in my area, I would buy that 22 in a second. I recommend when the turd is returned in 4 months and the buying frenzy is still happening I would off the TX22 and never look back. Would love to hear how you like it once you get some rds through it. I would also recommend breaking it in with a 1000 rds of CCI mini mags. After that it will eat every 22 you feed it. I am soooo jealous of your new gun. Very smart move, enjoy you lucky blank!

Registered
That's wicked... if this is a common issue after the 1000 round mark.. Taurus reputation iis going to take a steep drive as I have seen A LOT of guys buying this gun.
TAURUS reputation can't get any lower. They are by far the worst and they don't care. Half of the TX22's will run fine as long as you keep rd count under 5-10 thousand rds. Taurus sells cheap and they sell a lot so if half of them stick against the wall Taurus is fine with that.

Registered
TAURUS reputation can't get any lower. They are by far the worst and they don't care. Half of the TX22's will run fine as long as you keep rd count under 5-10 thousand rds. Taurus sells cheap and they sell a lot so if half of them stick against the wall Taurus is fine with that.
SADLY I believe this is true, the quality control is from my experience about as bad as anyone making a firearm, and customer service certainly doesn't want one to write home with reccomendations for sure!
I at one time owned 10 taurus weapons, and honestly they were pretty well made, at least i had no trouble out of them, and a few times when i needed a part I could get it .
but Now I am down to 6 one a 738 is hid in the safe and never comes out in fear someone may actually try to use it, 4 PT1911 and an old PT99--thats actually the gun that got me started on the taurus buy train..
saving money only goes so far with me, i want a dependable ,reliable, quality product IF I am going to bet my life on it.

Reactions: Desperado

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Fed ex is supposed to be dropping off my tx22 10/5/2020. I kept the good barrel and sent them chattered one see if they give me a new firearm. Or just replaced the slide. Time will tell

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Yep same old barrel and frame new slide and recoil assembly. Now gonna put up for sale goes I dontt want that happening to ME again. Poor fellar don't buy Taurus

1 - 19 of 19 Posts