Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought home my TX22, cleaned and lubricated it and filled the two magazine with CCI Mini Mags and Remington GB's. Both were hollow points. On the third shot the gun mal functioned with the round tipped downward tying up the slide. The second magazine did the same thing. When I reloaded the first magazine, again third round tip down malfunction. Fourth and fifth magazine went OK. Something wrong with hollow points? Wrong with the magazine?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Congrats on the new banger!!

I still haven't gone shopping, but after following several of the threads here, there does seem to be a little issue with the mags. Others have had success by disassembling the mag and spraying the insides, spring and follower with some dry lube. Since they are polymer, you should check for any burrs. I'm just passing it along, and hope I didn't get it wrong. You should read through the TX22 range report threads, and maybe somebody else will be along shortly. Good luck with that, and please give us a full review once you clear this issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Was the problem wit the CCI, Remington ammo or both? I'm betting on the Remington and also agree you should check the inside front o the mags to make sure there's no excess flashing that could be catching the noses of the bullets.

Wouldn't hurt to try a couple boxes of round nose solids during the break in process.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would try round nose bullets instead of hollow points.

Does the mag feel like there is a "catch" as the follower nears the top? Mine did, and some Dry Lube inside on the front and back seemed to help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was the problem wit the CCI, Remington ammo or both? I'm betting on the Remington and also agree you should check the inside front o the mags to make sure there's no excess flashing that could be catching the noses of the bullets.

Wouldn't hurt to try a couple boxes of round nose solids during the break in process.
It was with both Remington and CCI. I'll take a look at the magazines for any excess polymer near the magazine lips. I'm going to try round nose. I want this gun to WORK! I like it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm up to 500 rounds without a SINGLE failure of any kind, some of it pretty crappy ammo.no hollow points though. I'm leaning towards a thorough check of the inside front of the mag AND the follower to see if it has any flashing that could cause a hang up.

Have you tried loading 10 rounds and see if it does the same thing? If it doesn't I would really check the follower because it could be binding under the increased spring pressure of a full mag caused by casting seams on the follower.

600 grit wet and dry or Dremel tool with the proper tip will smooth things out nicely.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have tried ten rounds and again a stoppage. This with round tip ammunition. It has to be the magazines. I'm not happy with the fact that I have to DO anything to make the pistol work. MY last magazine went through 15 rounds of Blazer without a hang up. I'm going to try again tomorrow. I also have two magazines coming from Taurus. We'll see. Also, there is no reason hollow points should not work. They do in my Rugers, Bersa's, and CZ Kadet Kit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree completely-my suggestion was for trouble shooting purposes only. The magazine is unique as I don't personally own another firearm other than some Ruger 10/22's that have plastic magazines AND these TX mags are made in two pieces and the two halves are stuck together. When two pieces get "stuck together" there is always the chance for a less than perfectly smooth seam. Have you disassembled the mag yet and LOOK inside it to see if there's anything that could cause the hangup and check the follower for similar seams that could hang up on something?

I have to admit I was alittle skeptical regarding these mags when I first got the pistol but all four work perfectly, take the full 16 rounds with no jams and drop freely when the mag button is depressed. Take the mag apart, wrap some 600 grit around a pencil and run it down the inside front of the mag a few times and then take the sandpaper and hit any high spots/seams on the follower. Rinse the parts off with water, dry them good and spray the inside of the mag and the follower with Liquid Wrench Dry Lube. Let them dry and re-assemble. Should be good to go.

Someone already said that Taurus is sending them two mags because one of their mags was messed up so we know it has the potential to happen. I now have 4 mags for my TX and they all function perfectly.

Had a blast shooting my TX 22 yesterday. For grins I shot at an 8 inch metal plate at 100 yards from the bench and hit it 8 out of 16 times-love this pistol!

You'll get it straightened out soon, I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Is it possible,Just possible that you are Limp Wristing ? I had an issue with a split mag and was replaced immediatley by Taurus with accomodations.I have now over 400 rounds thru the TX with a variety of ammo including Hollow points,M-22,CCI,and Federals .Remingtons NOT one issue,But I can see that slight Limp Wrist will cause some issues.Good Luck !!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is it possible,Just possible that you are Limp Wristing ? I had an issue with a split mag and was replaced immediatley by Taurus with accomodations.I have now over 400 rounds thru the TX with a variety of ammo including Hollow points,M-22,CCI,and Federals .Remingtons NOT one issue,But I can see that slight Limp Wrist will cause some issues.Good Luck !!
Limp wristing? I was a Federal Firearms Instructor for eighteen years, give me a little credit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ran two magazines through loaded with CCI Velociters without a problem. Federal HV Match turned the TX22 into a single shot. Tried the Federals in my SR22 same thing. Anyway, I'll try the sandpaper and dry Lube, but I am not happy This should not be needed in a new gun. What happens is the slide locks back and I can see the round is not positioned correctly in the magazine for it to feed. I eject it and pull the cartridge back slightly then the magazine(s) empties with no problem. Thank you for all your help. I am complaining to Taurus.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Make sure when you load your magazine that you are loading the ammunition staggered left to right to left to right Etc. If the individual rounds stack on top of each other straight you will have a problem feeding. Just a suggestion...

Don

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
Hard to give you credit for what you hadn't told us until your last post.
and don't take this the wrong way my man but--IF you are a knowledgeable firearm person much less an instructor I would think it would be a lot easier for you with weapon in hand and ability to fire it could figure out the problem a lot better than us long distance Internet commandoes?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
and don't take this the wrong way my man but--IF you are a knowledgeable firearm person much less an instructor I would think it would be a lot easier for you with weapon in hand and ability to fire it could figure out the problem a lot better than us long distance Internet commandoes?
True, but this is a new firearm, not new to me, but new to everyone. I was searching for information on whether this problem was an individual one or one that was endemic. As it turns out Taurus want's the gun back. Which leads me to believe they know something I don't. I offered to send the magazines back, NO, they want the gun and magazines. Not exactly reassuring. A little clearer now?

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
True, but this is a new firearm, not new to me, but new to everyone. I was searching for information on whether this problem was an individual one or one that was endemic. As it turns out Taurus want's the gun back. Which leads me to believe they know something I don't. I offered to send the magazines back, NO, they want the gun and magazines. Not exactly reassuring. A little clearer now?
Well you are aware that Taurus does not make a reliable firearm. If it was me I would take it back and
get something else. If you feel they are hiding something and you seem sure of this, get rid of it and get something more reliable.................
Just so you are aware, I have LEO's who are personal friends, and I have worked on a few new firearms that were not running correctly, it
does happen.......................

1 - 20 of 45 Posts