Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally was able to go out and play with the TX-22 and shot it against my P-07 Kadet. Standing free hand, I shot the Kadet slightly better, but I've probably burned several bricks of .22's through it and the P-07 is my EDC. So I'm pretty use to the trigger whether it is running 9mm or .22 and the same factory sights.

I probably ran about 300 rounds through the TX-22 and 200 of it was used to get use to the trigger. The trigger for a striker fired pistol is better than my G-19's with the 5.5 lb connectors. It did get better within the first 200 rounds and still showed improvement by 300 rounds. So I suspect there is room for it to improve as it seems to still be breaking in. The closest trigger I can compare it to is my P320C with the factory upgrade.

As for reliability, I had 4 failures to fully go into battery out of 300 rounds. Both were second rounds in magazine 1 and 2 on their second loading and their third loading. I had cleaned and lightly oiled it before the range trip, but I suspect fouling from the Aguila standard velocity got around the extractor. A little more oil in this area made the problem go away. The ammo was all standard velocity CCI or Aguila with some CCI sub sonic. All cycled the action without the suppressor in place. I usually test ammo this way. The suppressor raises bore pressure so some ammo will not cycle .22 semi auto actions without it in place. The TX-22 did. The Kadet did as well. Out of the box, the Kadet has never had a cycling issue including Winchester Wildcats. On this trip, I didn't have any and only took ammo I knew was reliable, so zero duds and squibs out of 600 rounds.

I mentioned I had shot better with the P-07 than the TX. Well the P-07 is a well broken in DA/SA hammer gun. Benched the TX match it and in one magazine load I did slightly better at the end of my range session. At 10 yards, both can nearly hit the same holes in the targets. So I suspect once I get use to the trigger and further break in, I will do as well as the Kadet.

Now for the fun part, it does make a very good host for my Element II. I'd bought the Element II due to its construction of baffles vs mono core, and its decibel reduction. Also Titanium and stainless vs Aluminum and stainless. Which makes it good for .22 Mag and .17 rimfires. The suppressor changed my point of impact slightly in the vertical direction.

Sight wise, the rear sight sucks. Out of the box I had move the point of impact by 6" to the right at 10 yards. I've never moved the Kadet from day one and it's fixed.

In short, I think for a suppressor ready .22 in the $300 range, the TX is a good buy. The Kadet kit was just above $200, and I already had the P-07 that was a around $450 OTD when I bought it. It will be even more when I find a threaded .22 barrel. A suppressor ready Ruger .22/45 LITE still runs around $350 in a MKIII if you can find one. The trigger on my .22/45 LITE sucked even after 500 rounds down range. So I installed a $100 worth of Volquartsen parts.

Now what I perceive as cons, adding an RMR sight may be a problem since it would add weight to the slide. The Kadet has this same flaw. Adding weight to the slide will reduce reliability and if you use a reduced power spring it might have feeding problems. If you want an optic of some sort, Ruger, S&W, and Browning are probably your best options. Also, I suspect the aftermarket to be slow or never take to the TX. I do think there is a market for a magazine loading tool. There isn't much meat to the slide for milling and I suspect tapping will be a problem if too small of a screw is used. I've a few LPA rear sights and see if one of them will work with a little modification.

0301191318.jpg

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Thanks for another good report. Dang it! :D

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Thank you! keep up the good work - both shooting and range report wise! :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
SAM_1571.JPG My P-07 is one of my favorite firearms I own, and the .22 Kadet Kit is great to extend range time shooting using cheap ammo. I have thought about buying a dedicated .22 handgun, and I have looked for the TX-22, but no one around here has one......or many Taurus firearms at all. Maybe now that Taurus has extended the lifetime warranty more might show up in the LGS again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts