Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.npr.org/2018/04/30/6069...-training-for-enhanced-concealed-carry-permit

IMHO I think a two tiered license is a bad idea. One license is okay to defend yourself in a crowd of people outside or at the local Wally mart, but you need a separate license to do the same thing in a church or other area?

Arkansas recently became the first state to require active shooter training for a gun permit.

The state began issuing "enhanced concealed carry" permits earlier this year. The law creating the new permits, which passed last spring, allows enhanced carriers to bring guns into what the state calls "sensitive places," including public university campuses, bars, churches and the state Capitol.

To get the new permit, applicants have to pass a live-fire exam and take a course that covers what to do in an active shooting. That's on top of the five hours of training required for a basic concealed-carry permit in Arkansas.

The first step of the permit process is two hours at the shooting range. Applicants have to hit a static paper target — a bull's-eye superimposed on a silhouette of a human torso — 70 percent of the time. If they pass, they move on to a six-hour classroom session.
Sadly there are still many churches that haven't learned a thing from past church or other mass shootings. A mass murderer doesn't carry how you feel about guns or defending yourself, except that being unarmed makes what they do easier. :( A church leader whose only plan for dealing with a mass shooter is for someone to call 911 is doing their flock a grave disservice. In addition, it's very hypocritical, because if it's not a sin to call to have a cop stop a mass shooter it's not a sin for a church member to do it either.

In addition, I believe a person is capable of seeing opportunities for love and to build community and still carry a firearm, still able to be able to recognize danger when and if it exists. It is generally anti gunners that confuse being aware of things and being prepared with paranoia, not most concealed carriers I know.

Some "sensitive places" that aren't publicly owned — like bars and churches — can opt out of the new law and ban firearms. First United Methodist Church in Little Rock has done just that. David Freeman, the senior pastor, says the self-defense mindset of concealed carry just doesn't align with the church's values.

"It keeps us guarded and focused on fear and focused on 'what are dangers out there?' " he says, "rather than seeing the world through, 'What are the opportunities for love and to build community?' "

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Reactions: 230JHP

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Unless otherwise prohibited by the church itself, there are no restrictions on person with a Texas LTC carrying a gun to services. I carry in church. And when I do I thank God for the wisdom of Texas to recognize my God given right to protect my family and if needed, my fellow worshipers.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/1...ing-guns-church-unless-church-says-otherwise/
This was the same for Arkansas. They could “opt in” and allow it. As far as I know it is still the same and you don’t have to get the enhanced. I’ll do my research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
It boggles my mind that there are people whose minds are so set, either for or against something, that they are impervious to reason. While I believe I understand the reasoning behind Pastor Freeman's statement, to me it looks like he's not taking into account the fact that once the wolf gets among his flock they will be helpless without sheepdogs to protect them. It's the sheepdogs who are in a quandary. Leave your weapons outside in deference to your pastor and take a chance on becoming a victim or bring your weapons with you and run the risk of being banned.

·
22,952 Posts
It boggles my mind that there are people whose minds are so set, either for or against something, that they are impervious to reason.
Been on this planet long?

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
If your church is going to complain or file charges over you carrying there, you need to find a new church. As far as the bar, in TN at least, as long as you are not drinking, and no signage is posted, you are free to carry.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My church the security stands by the doors obvious as can be with ear buds. Probably half don't have one in the chamber. I prefer to be less conspicuous and be responsible for me and my family. I plan on being out gunned, I don't need to have a target on me.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The only reason that government creates and issues licenses is so that they can ultimately revoke what was granted. The conditions built into the law, and the resulting regulations have the intention of creating conformity, and punishing non-conformity. This is universally true in government at all levels.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I won't argue the first part pertaining to militia because it is irrelevant to the issue of personal protection as explained in the Heller decision.

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
Our church put up no gun signs until recently. I don't know if the drop in revenue or the church shootings caused them to rethink. Now they just have no open carry signs.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Our Pastor wanted some legal Conceal Carry people in the church so he hired the county sheriff who is a CC. Instructor 24 of us took the class so we would be able to protect the congregation legally up until reading this thread I thought I was covered. Nobody knew this extra training was needed this is one of those deals where i I'd rather have 12 men judge me than have 6 friends carry me. I go to a small country Church mostly old country guys and girls it would be unwise for someone to walk in looking for trouble. I'm not taking anymore classes and I doubt others will be willing to take more classes

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
If a church doesn't have a well trained and armed security team. (Most don't)

Then I don't really want to take my family there. Not because I don't believe in God, I do. It's because that tells me that they are clueless to the real world and the evil in it. Now throw in a no carry policy for members and you can bet we won't be attending.

God helps those who help themselves... meaning if you can legally carry do so, in the defense of yourself, your loved ones and other innocents. Amen!

·
Registered
17,234 Posts
I have no idea what the extra class would cost or how entailed it might be.
However, if the cost was reasonable and the training was well done I think I would go for it.
Extra training never hurt anyone and as hard as it is to believe I don't know everything
so I look at it as an opportunity to advance my skills.

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Registered
142 Posts
You'd be surprised how many people are packing in my congregation... I pity the fool who tries to cause trouble in the pews here.

We actually have a highway patrolman in our congregation who is putting together an active shooter training for all the LTC folks here so we all have a plan of defense, can get others to safety, etc.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Enhanced permits? Shouldn't that apply to everyone? Or is it too expensive?

We have armed, trained security teams at church. We train together monthly and have range training every 3 months. The range sessions are a bit spooky. At least a quarter of them have pistols that malfunction regularly and they are not proficient with stoppage drills. The pistols are not properly cleaned and lubricated so they won't work properly. This could be fatal, but many don't care. If you are going to have teams, they need to train together regularly in different scenarios to be even a little effective.

We encourage concealed carry but have warned those who do not to interfere if there is an incident except to protect their loved ones.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts