Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago at about two A.M. I was sitting in my driveway talking on my cell phone. I notice a small red car pull up and stop in front of my next door niegboors house. I decided to watch the car for a minute to see if it belong to my new niegboors teen son. The windows of the car were down and I could hear some of the conversation ........ tended to drift towards weed and the best way to roll in up. I felt sure that these people could see me and even had to know I was the home owner next door. I got out of the truck, made a lot of noise, yet they continued. I took a few steps towards the car, but did not close with the darkend vehicle due to not knowing if a weapon was in the car. I then stood well back but then took the plate number of the car, yet they still did not get the hint to move. I at that point figured that it may have been the niegbor kid, so I then went across the street to ask the mother if that may have been her son.I was pointing at the car as I was asking questions of the mother who confirmed she didn't know the car as well. She then got on the phone to call her son. At that point the car was crunk up by the driver and drove off. I had calling 911 on speed dia the whole time, but did not call due to not wanting to start a stink with my neigboors if it were thier kid. I did at any rate mention the drug conversation to my nieghboor, but I also stated that I was unsure as to who was in the car. At any rate things were resolved. Were I live is a bad part of town and I wish to move in the next two years. Was thier anything that I did in this encounter that put me at more risk than I thought?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I might add that an AK-47 was laying on the rear cab floor of the truck if SHTF. Just thought all that could be avoided.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Your discription says the occupants were total into getting high, or were already so high they were not aware of their surroundings at all.
I personally would have only observed, If I could get the license # so be it. Who knows what they were or were not planning.
You may have stopped something, but at what price, if like you said the shtf. You were away from your truck, there were several of them, that is not a good scene in my book.
When I knew it was not the neighbors kid, I would have called 911 and advised that there was a potential problem, and continued to observe advising the operator as I am sure they would have asked you too.

NO way in heck I would have gotten out of my vehicle, at 2 AM unless I needed to take action, like getting my butt hidden and armed.

·
Administrator
35,526 Posts
Concur. And, sometimes inactivity is the way to go - they weren't overtly breaking the law or beating someone up - pressing the issue might have started something that would have been best left alone. I'd have let that dog sleep too. You'll know if the situation calls for 'pressing the issue'. You just will.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of the main reasons I didn't call 911 was that the threat had moved off. You are right in hind sight, was too far from my weapon/too close to them. I didn't want to be the agressor or seen as same if SHTF, and staying in the truck which offerd no type of armored side protection at less than 15ft didn't seem too good, but if I'd simply gone into my home, I couldn't see them from inside my house. The truck and my next door niegboors truck would have blocked my view so I had too stay outside to observe the threat. Mind you this is the inner city and the individual lots are'nt all that wide, nor front yards that big.

As far as observing things, I think I should maybe try training a little more than I have. You have pointed out how it could have gone bad, and I did miss a few ques.

·
Administrator
35,526 Posts
I've often wished that somebody taught a good, AFFORDABLE class on tactical and counteroffensive tactics - having never been a LEO or in the military, I often feel ignorant of things I should have maybe picked up on......I think I have good instincts but they could definitely be sharpened.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Actually, I tried to not say you did anything wrong! But there were things you did do that "SCARED THE HECK OUTA ME".

The main thing is I was not there, YOU WERE! Situational awareness, you saw something going on! You chose a course of action based on what you thought might be going on. (neighbors kid). I might not have done the same thing, but I sure would have made sure I did not run in the house and hide (you didn't either).

We all live and learn, and I am still learning. I have defensive hand gun, and some other courses scheduled for me as soon as possible so I do not walk into something at this point I am not ready for.

·
32,647 Posts
Being prepared is of the essence as has been already stated.
Calling 911 and let them handle it. It's what LEOs are paid for.

Let them know that you are in the area if you plan to stay and that you are indeed armed and with what,and a personal description of the BGs and you. That includes you mode of transportation for them and you with a descrition of that as well.

It was good to back off a good distance and observe.

When or if the local LEOs roll up on the situation they will know who you are.

If all the police see is an armed guy in the bad part of town,anywhere for that matter, they see a guy with a gun and go full throttle to deal with the situation. No use getting caught in the middle, unawares, or be a potential target for both BGs and police.

Dead or worse ruins your's and everybody elses day.

I have been there and done that, but as a for the moment deputized participant, by a local sheriff's deputy. Had to do it many times in Virginia.

Less distractions and total focus on the criminals is what's needed by everybody present. Don't be the distraction unless the police ask you to participate as an armed allie. Very well probably won't happen.

Liability and the city having to explain or deal with a civilain casualty are not something they or you want to deal with though it might be a adrenalin rush to participate. Personal ego or machismo can get in the way. A "am I man enough" to deal with this can blind one to reality and get one hurt or killed.

Temptation is a bear to deal with. Easy to give in.

If a shooting were to happen and you are involved, there is a whole scrutinzing set of investigations into you, events, bit by bit, moment by moment to deal with. Add to that the extreme trauma and duress of the event.
It's easy to forget details,get caught in what you think happened, or miss details. For example, how many times did you fire? Get that wrong and you have explaining to do to authorites.Psychological trauma can be the cause of this.

It can take 24 hours or more after the shooting event for the mind to settle down and actually remember details.

Each and every action will be closely looked at step by step. If there is a hint of negligence or intent on your part as seen through the many investigator's eyes, you're in for legal troubles,potential arrest, jail or prison time, for your part in things. This even though you had the best of intentions or acted just fine. It can and does happen.

Massad Ayoob, who documents this thoroughly in his books and magazine articles, belongs to as a for life member of the a national defense lawyers association where the movers,shakers, and the knowledgable do this for a living.

There are other sources as well that back what he says up.

So there you have it in a nut shell.

Happily I never had to fire, but the criminals at least understood they would be shot and followed common sense.
There are a lot of vicious criminals and gangs who don't think that way and will make the stuff hit the fan and don't care. Life,yours and theirs are cheap to them.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Yeah, no way I want to be a LEO, or involved except as a witness either. I know what my son has gone thru on more than one occasion with a gun and suspects,and almost dieing from several police cruiser incidents, they either broke and caused a crash, or burnt to ground with him almost still inside.

That is one job I do not want to do, or be involved in unless me and mine were in danger of being killed or severly injured by someone.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
Calling 911 and let them handle it. It's what LEOs are paid for.
Bingo!---It is NOT any civilian's duty to act in the capacity of a police officer. In the above situation, step back, call 911, and let the officers handle the situation. On the flip side, if your life or another's was in imminent danger from the occupants of the vehicle then by all means protect yourself.

I think most armed civilians are intelligent enough to know the difference between a L&D situation and one which simply requires a call to 911 such as the one above.

·
Registered
876 Posts
With a call like that, "suspicious vehicle", my department would send a car- maybe two if they were available. But not in any hurry...

Dispatcher would ask that you let us know if they leave, or if you can get a plate, or if they do anything else suspicious...Mybe ask if you could describe the occupants.

I imagine larger (read busier) departments might not consider this a priority call and might not send a squad unless activity becomes criminal...

Nothing good ever happens after 2:00 AM (unless maybe you're on a date)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
tman said:
I imagine larger (read busier) departments might not consider this a priority call and might not send a squad unless activity becomes criminal...
Let's go with the largest Dept.--NYPD--every single call to 911 is given out as a "job" to a sector car. They must respond.

tman---please check your PM's.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I just want to add that I disagree with everyone that said to call 911. In my area 911 is for emergencies, of which this was not. In my opinion you should call the non-emergency number for your local law enforcement to report suspicious and possibly criminal activity. I keep the local numbers for state, county and city police in my cell phone. I also have the non-emergency number for the fire department stored there as well.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Doctor_Venkman said:
I just want to add that I disagree with everyone that said to call 911. In my area 911 is for emergencies, of which this was not. In my opinion you should call the non-emergency number for your local law enforcement to report suspicious and possibly criminal activity. I keep the local numbers for state, county and city police in my cell phone. I also have the non-emergency number for the fire department stored there as well.
A suspicious vehicle call can always go to 911. But as you stated, every part of the country is different. The 911 system where you are in Kentucky may not be able to handle a large amount of calls at one time which in turn would tie up the line for a "true" emergency.

Just recently in the past 3 years, NYC introduced 311---a non-emergency number to handle everything from noise complaints to trash collection complaints. This number drastically reduced the "low priority" calls that were made to 911. Check this out:

2004 calls to 911 before the 311 system was operational: 7,985,548

2006 calls to 911 after the 311 system was operational: 5,258,478

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tarrant county were I live has an emergency 911 only policy. I should have access to the non-emergency number by the evening.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
A suspicious vehicle call can always go to 911. But as you stated, every part of the country is different. The 911 system where you are in Kentucky may not be able to handle a large amount of calls at one time which in turn would tie up the line for a "true" emergency.

Just recently in the past 3 years, NYC introduced 311---a non-emergency number to handle everything from noise complaints to trash collection complaints. This number drastically reduced the "low priority" calls that were made to 911. Check this out:

2004 calls to 911 before the 311 system was operational: 7,985,548

2006 calls to 911 after the 311 system was operational: 5,258,478
+1 they also started this"311" in houston.you might check to see if it is in your area.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts