Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought two GX4's, same day. Serial numbers are 15 apart, XXX71, and XXX86. I have a problem with locking the slide back on one without an empty mag in it (a different post in this forum), so while researching problem, I pulled the frame of the grip, to check the slide catch and spring. I noticed the upper rear support pin (4.12) was missing. Thinking I had dropped it, I looked for over half a hour. My workstation is such, it would be VERY difficult to lose something, but Murphy's Law...

Anyway, decided to take other one apart, to measure pin, and check my huge assortment of "can't throw THAT away!"s, in case I had one. So, was paying VERY close attention when I pulled it apart.

Gun Two is missing the same pin! Can't be coincidence. So called Taurus. Of course, the $1.00 pin is restricted! So, now both have to go back, to be" repaired ".

Both guns have around 150 rounds through them, no other problems, fired just fine. I don't know if the sear block rocking due to lack of support could do hidden damage.

This video shows how to look and see if your GX4 had the same problem. Just remove the slide, and try to rock the block. If missing, I'd call Taurus, or at least put in an appropriate pin. I DID ask the tech to pass the word up the chain of command, and she seemed concerned enough, I think it will get done.

When I get either one back, I'll do a teardown, and get a very accurate measurement of the pin, and update here.

R
Product Font Parallel Engineering Auto part

Font Screenshot Number Document Paper

Here's the video link, if I do this right...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man I hate you are going through this. At least Taurus is making it right.
I'm not a gunsmith, but have a lot of experience with working on equipment, robotics, etc. I'm glad I caught it, don't know if the sear block flopping around could have done damage, or worse, be dangerous.

The tech I talked to was VERY apologetic, that the first tech thought the slide not locking back, was OK, and something they wouldn't address. Her exact words were "safety is important above everything else here!". Which I'm all for.

I'll post when I hear something. Guess I'll play with the Hellcat, until I do... 😊

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not a gunsmith, but have a lot of experience with working on equipment, robotics, etc. I'm glad I caught it, don't know if the sear block flopping around could have done damage, or worse, be dangerous.

The tech I talked to was VERY apologetic, that the first tech thought the slide not locking back, was OK, and something they wouldn't address. Her exact words were "safety is important above everything else here!". Which I'm all for.

I'll post when I hear something. Guess I'll play with the Hellcat, until I do... 😊
Besides the obvious issue with your GX4s. What do you prefer after holding them, your GX4 or hellcat? That’s the e one micro I didn’t get to hold or shoot before I got my GX4.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I pulled the slide on both of mine to check for missing pins or anything else. All good here.
Besides the obvious issue with your GX4s. What do you prefer after holding them, your GX4 or hellcat? That’s the e one micro I didn’t get to hold or shoot before I got my GX4.
I have a Hellcat. I still prefer my Sig, but to me, the GX4 is a close second with the Hellcat in third. Not that I think one is better than the other. It's purely a personal thing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I pulled the slide on both of mine to check for missing pins or anything else. All good here.
So you tried to rock the boat...er...sear block? That's good to know! If you knock out the takedown bar, left to right, the frame comes out. Then you can see the pins I'm talking about. But, if it's not rocking like the video, you should be good to go. Since I don't have the pins, I can't be sure, but guessing you have a little bit of movement when you pull up and down on the sear block? I mean, VERY little, but enough to feel it's loose?

I have a Hellcat. I still prefer my Sig, but to me, the GX4 is a close second with the Hellcat in third. Not that I think one is better than the other. It's purely a personal thing.
Over the last few months, I have bought for us and the kids, the Sig P365XL (wife's), the Hellcat OSP. with shield red dot (mine), and the two GX4's (eldest daughter, and mine). My younger daughter treated herself to the S&W M&P Shield Plus, and the son in law a G3. And about $1,000 worth of ammo... 😝

Doing a lot of comparison shooting. My wife knew the 365 was it, immediately. My eldest, we looked at a LOT of compacts, and I had already decided on the GX4 for me. She's, also, knew right off the bat. She really liked the Ruger, also, and the SCCY. Too bad the SCCY's have a (deservedly) bad rap. She likes the feel the best. She a petite thing. She hadn't shot in like, forever, and her first 2 mags were within 2" at 5 yards. A'ts'muh'gurl! 😁 I like the trigger on the hellcat, and I acquire target faster. Red Dot might help, but I feel I'm a lucky natural with it. The GX4 feels really great in my hand, but I tend to pull a bit with it, but consistently. Thinking trigger, and I'll probably look hard at that, when they come back home, along with the new sights. I haven't gotten to shoot the Shield, yet, hope to soon. The 365 is a really smooth gun, but doesn't fit my hand as well as the others. But accuracy is superb.

Exactly right, it's all personal choice. The ONE thing I've learned over the years, is if it feels good, no matter WHAT it is, you'll want to shoot it. Which means more practice. Which means you get better, and like it more.

I mentioned in my other post, I have a Firestar Plus, from 25 years ago, I bought new, and have never fired. And it's fits me better than any gun I've ever held. Maybe I'm afraid of disappointment, I don't know. But getting the itch to pop its virginity!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I much prefer the trigger on the Hellcat. Smoother pull. Nice wall and break. Reset is crisp, and where I expect it to be. And for my hands, the distance is perfect, great trigger finger contact. The GX4 trigger is out just a little bit, unnoticeable unless firing one than the other. Pull is a little mushier but barely. I find myself guessing as to when I'll hit the wall, but I know that will probably go away with a lot more rounds through it. I do know that after three mags on the Hellcat, finger felt just fine. After 3 on the GX4, could feel a little tenderness. Havien't delved into it yet, because of the slide lock problems. But will, when it gets back. I DO see the GX4 as the lead contender for EDC, if the problems are ironed out, when I get it back. And if Tier 1 Concealed makes an axis or agis for it... Currently have the Tulster Oath for the Hellcat, but looking at the T1 for it, as well.

R

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I could do that. But then they wouldn't be held accountable. Which, to me, being a gun manufacturer, is more important.

And it's a slip fit, as opposed to a roll pin. Maybe a reason, maybe not. But, maybe...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts