Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first Taurus. Was to be my new carry. A G3C with two problems. I read many reviews on the G3c before I bought mine. Many people saying theirs worked perfect out of the box with no problems. Even hickok45 saying they seem to be very reliable firearms.
My first and biggest problem is mine sometimes will not return to full battery after firing. Like about a quarter inch of returning to full battery. A tap on the back of the slide will do it. Usually one or two times per mag. FMJ and hollow point. So far it will do it with Armscor and Winchester. Not with Remington, Federal and another brand that I forget the name. Ammo sensitive and very very aggravating. In my area if you go to the lgs for ammo, if they have any you are going to take whatever they have. Two boxes at a time. Today may be Remington. Next week it could be Armscor and next week whatever. Most of the time fmj. If you luck out you MAY find some hollow point now and then.
To me. A carry gun that will not work with any brand name ammo is unexceptionable. Maybe with a target gun but Not with a carry.
I can remove the barrel and drop a Armscor or Winchester round in the chamber and it takes some effort to pull it out with fingers. Turn it up and the round will not drop out on its own. Drop in a federal, turn it up and will not drop out on its own but with a slight tap it will. Remington will drop out freely. Remington almost rattles in the chamber.
The gun works perfect with Remington, Federal and another brand I forget the name.
The chamber and feed ramp are slick as can be. No burrs. No gouges, Clean and oiled.
I would send it back to Taurus but I fear they are going to say that with 3 out of 5 brands working perfectly the chamber and ramp are within tolerance. Six, eight weeks and expenses waisted.
Any ideas?
My second problem is the gun shoots low and left. At 20 feet about 8 inches low and 6 inches left. I can adjust the rear sight a little to take out some of the six inch left so I'm not really worried there. But I would like to do something about the shooting low. Front needs to go down or the back up.
Some have said that Glock sights will fit the gun and may be able to find a lower front or higher back.
Anyone know anything about Glock sights on a Taurus g3c and which will fit?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
If the Remingtons rattle in the chamber & the others are tight then I'd say that's sloppy manufacturing by the cartridge makers these days. To me, if it was a Taurus barrel chamber problem, then all ammo would do something similar. Doubtful that your G3c is doing this (could be though) but my replacement Diamondback .380 was doing the same thing as yours until I noticed that the recoil spring tab at the front of the slide was rubbing on the polymer frame on the bottom & both sides causing extra resistance for the slide when chambering. Thought I was going to have to send it back to CS until I tried putting a few drops of oil on those places, now it works great & breaks in more & more with each successive shot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the Remingtons rattle in the chamber & the others are tight then I'd say that's sloppy manufacturing by the cartridge makers these days. To me, if it was a Taurus barrel chamber problem, then all ammo would do something similar. Doubtful that your G3c is doing this (could be though) but my replacement Diamondback .380 was doing the same thing as yours until I noticed that the recoil spring tab at the front of the slide was rubbing on the polymer frame on the bottom & both sides causing extra resistance for the slide when chambering. Thought I was going to have to send it back to CS until I tried putting a few drops of oil on those places, now it works great & breaks in more & more with each successive shot.
Thanks for the info but I've oiled everything in this gun that can be oiled and then some. I wish this thing would fail with every brand. That would make it easier to track down. 400 rounds through this thing with no change.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hmm the ole pesky gun that shoots low and left for a right hand shooter. Hmm amazing I know for 100% certainty you are right handed. The first step is to let some other people shoot it with the ammo you are having difficulty with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm the ole pesky gun that shoots low and left for a right hand shooter. Hmm amazing I know for 100% certainty you are right handed. The first step is to let some other people shoot it with the ammo you are having difficulty with.

Hmm, I also have a s&w that shoots low and right. Explain that. Started shooting at 15. That was 60 years ago. Some can also be a 100% certainly wrong even when they think they are certain.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Hmm, I also have a s&w that shoots low and right. Explain that. Started shooting at 15. That was 60 years ago. Some can also be a 100% certainly wrong even when they think they are certain.
Being the experienced shooter that you are, I'm sure you've seen the shooter's target that shows what you're doing wrong when your bullets hit a certain part of a standard target. Years ago my Taurus PT99 (adj sights) kept hitting to the left of center & I kept moving the rear sight adjustment to compensate but it kept hitting in the same place. I didn't know what what was wrong with it or what I could do about it. Come to find out, after seeing a copy of the afore mentioned target, I was unconsciously tightening my thumb right before I would pull the trigger which was causing the problem. It's called "thumbing" & when I stopped doing it all my hits were far to the right (after over adjusting the rear sight to compensate) of where I was aiming. Miraculously the gun started working fine after that.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Refer to shooters target ! Get more ammo down the barrel .While majority of all firearms return to battery a finicky few will need a tap ! Just remember it is a fine firearm that needs a little bit of excercise with ammo .Ours feeds all shoots dead on target as i am sure yours will . Good Luck 1

·
Registered
211 Posts
Both my G series 9s shot low/left. Until I discovered 2 things. One re the low part. They're set up for combat sight profile. I never knew that. Always thought they were aimed like I was taught over half century ago. Bullseye or "target" on top of the front blade. Then I noticed how I was squeezing the trigger was causing the barrel to drift left. Changed my finger position and now both guns shoot as intended.
My G3C also had lots of issues going to full battery (only with JHP). Nose of bullet would hang on feed ramp. Some VERY thorough cleaning, many more rounds down the pipe, lots of lube and it now feeds them at as close to 100% reliable as I think it ever will be (though I have switched my carry ammo for the G3C to Hornady Critical Defense) which does feed 100% reliably. Federal HST is like 99%. On a carry gun I want 100%.
I will say the G3C was MUCH tighter than the G2S I have when it was new. The G2S shot like it was "broken in" right from the start. The G3C is still much tighter even with about 4-500 rounds down the pipe.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nevermind….good luck. Move the sights on those faulty guns

·
Registered
211 Posts

Ha! Reminds me of the story of the duck hunter and his grandson. He fires every round at the ducks while they're on the water. They all fly away. He tells the grandson.............."Son, you just witnessed a miracle". Little boy asks what it was. Grandpa says "You just saw all those dead ducks resurrect and fly away"

·
9,140 Posts
My new G3C has a smaller chamber than other pistols. Still passes plunk tests with most hollow points, but some range ammo will not pass. I've seen some pistols with slightly shorter chambers, but not many. Low left is usually the shooters grip, or pulling the trigger at the wrong angle..Try a Hogue grip on it, that may help. I have one on order for mine. I knew I would have issues up front because of my big hands. As far as shooting groups it is good, just a little low and left.

Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My new G3C has a smaller chamber than other pistols. Still passes plunk tests with most hollow points, but some range ammo will not pass. I've seen some pistols with slightly shorter chambers, but not many. Low left is usually the shooters grip, or pulling the trigger at the wrong angle..Try a Hogue grip on it, that may help. I have one on order for mine. I knew I would have issues up front because of my big hands. As far as shooting groups it is good, just a little low and lef

Sorry guys. I really don't mean to be an A here. But, I've been shooting a long long time. Much longer than I like to think about. Not an expert or anywhere near. I know enough about grip, finger position and hold to know the gun simply shoots low and left. I was just asking. Does anyone here know which Glock sights work on the Taurus G3c and or if anyone had any experience with the G3c failing to return to full battery. I'm old and know it all. But, being old has taught me that there is always, Always someone out there that has a little more experience and or a little smarter than me. And, if you are or do. I'm still not too old to learn from you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You say the feed ramp is smooth, but it wouldn't hurt to polish it some. There is also a ramp on the frame, pic below. Where that ramp lines up with the ramp on the barrel, that might need a bit of filing and buffed. As far a POI, my G3 shot to the left, but not low. I took me out of the equation and shot off a rest, with the rear sight center of the slide, it shot 2 inches left. So now I have the rear sight as far right as it will go and the POI is dead on.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Always someone out there that has a little more experience and or a little smarter than me. And, if you are or do. I'm still not too old to learn from you.
I think the first part of your post rendered this statement untrue. Many of us here have been shooting for half a century or more. BUT, in my case my G2S was the first semi-auto pistol I EVER owned or shot in my life. Yeah, weird but true. With my own or anyone else's revolver(s) I can tear the bullseye out of a target at the distances you described. But first time (well MANY times after I picked up my G2S), I thought something was wrong with the gun (just as you do). Thanks to help from people here, my brother, and the rangemaster where I shoot I learned it wasn't the gun it was ME. I still tend to be a little left of center but I am damn close now to shooting like I do with my .357 revolver.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
My first Taurus. Was to be my new carry. A G3C with two problems. I read many reviews on the G3c before I bought mine. Many people saying theirs worked perfect out of the box with no problems. Even hickok45 saying they seem to be very reliable firearms.
My first and biggest problem is mine sometimes will not return to full battery after firing. Like about a quarter inch of returning to full battery. A tap on the back of the slide will do it. Usually one or two times per mag. FMJ and hollow point. So far it will do it with Armscor and Winchester. Not with Remington, Federal and another brand that I forget the name. Ammo sensitive and very very aggravating. In my area if you go to the lgs for ammo, if they have any you are going to take whatever they have. Two boxes at a time. Today may be Remington. Next week it could be Armscor and next week whatever. Most of the time fmj. If you luck out you MAY find some hollow point now and then.
To me. A carry gun that will not work with any brand name ammo is unexceptionable. Maybe with a target gun but Not with a carry.
I can remove the barrel and drop a Armscor or Winchester round in the chamber and it takes some effort to pull it out with fingers. Turn it up and the round will not drop out on its own. Drop in a federal, turn it up and will not drop out on its own but with a slight tap it will. Remington will drop out freely. Remington almost rattles in the chamber.
The gun works perfect with Remington, Federal and another brand I forget the name.
The chamber and feed ramp are slick as can be. No burrs. No gouges, Clean and oiled.
I would send it back to Taurus but I fear they are going to say that with 3 out of 5 brands working perfectly the chamber and ramp are within tolerance. Six, eight weeks and expenses waisted.
Any ideas?
My second problem is the gun shoots low and left. At 20 feet about 8 inches low and 6 inches left. I can adjust the rear sight a little to take out some of the six inch left so I'm not really worried there. But I would like to do something about the shooting low. Front needs to go down or the back up.
Some have said that Glock sights will fit the gun and may be able to find a lower front or higher back.
Anyone know anything about Glock sights on a Taurus g3c and which will fit?
Any help would be appreciated.
I had the same slide problem three years ago with my G2C. Here's what I wrote on this forum:

I got a new G2C in February of 2018. As I always do with a new gun, I cleaned and lubed it, and made sure everything was in working order. The first time I took the G2C to the range I had no problems; everything worked, no jams at all. I took it home and cleaned it up again. The second time to the range it started having problems. I let a friend who came to the range with me, and was new to handguns, try it out. After a couple magazines, the G2C started to jam. At first I thought my friend was limp-wristing it, so I shot it myself. Sure enough, it was jamming on me too.

On closer examination, I found that the slide was not fully "Returning to Battery"; meaning that it would eject the spent shell ok, but as it slid the next round into the chamber, the slide would stop about a quarter of an inch short of a full forward, fully closed, “seated” position. This prevented the gun from firing the next round. I could pop the slide forward by hitting the back of the slide with the palm of my hand and shoot the next round, but that's not a good remedy; and it is totally UNSAT for a carry weapon!!!

When I got it home, I broke it down again and gave it another thorough cleaning, and examination. I thought perhaps there was something wrong with the recoil spring, or maybe the slide guides were bent, but everything seemed ok. Then I closely compared the G2C with my slightly older PT-111 G2. The PT-111 G2 is an earlier version of the G2C and G2S. On comparison I noticed that the exterior of the barrel on the G2C was not quite as smooth as the G2. The G2 barrel seemed smooth and polished, whereas the G2C was a little rough and unfinished. It also appeared that the tolerance between the muzzle of the barrel and the slide was just a skosh too tight. I took some rubbing compound, and polished the outside of the barrel. I rubbed it down as best I could, especially near the front where the barrel flairs out and slips into the front of the slide. When I finished, it still wasn't as polished as the G2, but it was much smoother than it was before.

I lubed it again, and even put a little gun grease on the outside of the barrel where it flairs out. I took it to the range, and shot 200 rounds through it without a hitch. I've taken it to the range several more times, and haven't had a misfire since. Now my G2C is a dependable carry weapon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had the same slide problem three years ago with my G2C. Here's what I wrote on this forum:

I got a new G2C in February of 2018. As I always do with a new gun, I cleaned and lubed it, and made sure everything was in working order. The first time I took the G2C to the range I had no problems; everything worked, no jams at all. I took it home and cleaned it up again. The second time to the range it started having problems. I let a friend who came to the range with me, and was new to handguns, try it out. After a couple magazines, the G2C started to jam. At first I thought my friend was limp-wristing it, so I shot it myself. Sure enough, it was jamming on me too.

On closer examination, I found that the slide was not fully "Returning to Battery"; meaning that it would eject the spent shell ok, but as it slid the next round into the chamber, the slide would stop about a quarter of an inch short of a full forward, fully closed, “seated” position. This prevented the gun from firing the next round. I could pop the slide forward by hitting the back of the slide with the palm of my hand and shoot the next round, but that's not a good remedy; and it is totally UNSAT for a carry weapon!!!

When I got it home, I broke it down again and gave it another thorough cleaning, and examination. I thought perhaps there was something wrong with the recoil spring, or maybe the slide guides were bent, but everything seemed ok. Then I closely compared the G2C with my slightly older PT-111 G2. The PT-111 G2 is an earlier version of the G2C and G2S. On comparison I noticed that the exterior of the barrel on the G2C was not quite as smooth as the G2. The G2 barrel seemed smooth and polished, whereas the G2C was a little rough and unfinished. It also appeared that the tolerance between the muzzle of the barrel and the slide was just a skosh too tight. I took some rubbing compound, and polished the outside of the barrel. I rubbed it down as best I could, especially near the front where the barrel flairs out and slips into the front of the slide. When I finished, it still wasn't as polished as the G2, but it was much smoother than it was before.

I lubed it again, and even put a little gun grease on the outside of the barrel where it flairs out. I took it to the range, and shot 200 rounds through it without a hitch. I've taken it to the range several more times, and haven't had a misfire since. Now my G2C is a dependable carry weapon.
Thats interesting. Your problem sounds exactly like mine except my barrel seems smooth. But I'm going to try polishing the barrel, chamber and feed ramp. " Not with a Dremel" like some suggest. I've been over mine time and time again looking for a possible cause. But everything looks great. That's why I've been trying to blame it on being ammo sensitive. But I guess being ammo sensitive has to have a cause to. Anyway, Thanks. I'm going to try it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry guys. I really don't mean to be an A here. But, I've been shooting a long long time. Much longer than I like to think about. Not an expert or anywhere near. I know enough about grip, finger position and hold to know the gun simply shoots low and left. I was just asking. Does anyone here know which Glock sights work on the Taurus G3c and or if anyone had any experience with the G3c failing to return to full battery. I'm old and know it all. But, being old has taught me that there is always, Always someone out there that has a little more experience and or a little smarter than me. And, if you are or do. I'm still not too old to learn from you.
Basically, if they fit Glock 19 they fit the G3c. I think I used the Ameriglo 351 for the Glock 17/19...

I don't know how many rounds you fired. I shoot a good 200 rounds of target ammo before shooting defense ammo. I believe once broken in properly it should swallow up any ammo you throw at it. I have had zero failures.

I've noticed a wide range of accuracy depending on ammo. I would use a bench rest to more accurately judge the accuracy. of your G3c and use a variety of ammo to figure out which one works best for you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Basically, if they fit Glock 19 they fit the G3c. I think I used the Ameriglo 351 for the Glock 17/19...

I don't know how many rounds you fired. I shoot a good 200 rounds of target ammo before shooting defense ammo. I believe once broken in properly it should swallow up any ammo you throw at it. I have had zero failures.

I've noticed a wide range of accuracy depending on ammo. I would use a bench rest to more accurately judge the accuracy. of your G3c and use a variety of ammo to figure out which one works best for you.
I've fired near 400 rounds fmj. About half that were Armscor and Winchester. The only two brands that had problems. A few HP. Same problems with both.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've fired near 400 rounds fmj. About half that were Armscor and Winchester. The only two brands that had problems. A few HP. Same problems with both.
I'd try what @777Driver suggested as far as polishing the barrel. A friend of mine sent his G3C to Taurus and it's been 9 months.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Thats interesting. Your problem sounds exactly like mine except my barrel seems smooth. But I'm going to try polishing the barrel, chamber and feed ramp. " Not with a Dremel" like some suggest. I've been over mine time and time again looking for a possible cause. But everything looks great. That's why I've been trying to blame it on being ammo sensitive. But I guess being ammo sensitive has to have a cause to. Anyway, Thanks. I'm going to try it.
Yeah, don't use a Dremel.
I just used my Mark 1/Mod 0 hand to polish the exterior of the barrel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts