Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
10,379 Posts
Get that crap out of your system, I'm on my way down there (TN) on Monday, I promise I won't get upset if you use 'em all up by the time I get there.<g>

Seriously, good luck to those that have been affected, the local news showed Harrisburg last night, truly scary what's happening down there.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Hope all are well.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Even though it's a little early for the Spring storm season, it's time to get the storm cellar that you've been putting off for all these years. Your life is well worth a $3-4,000 investment. NOW!!!

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
In NKY, and Louisville we had several I was lucky two went by me within a few miles. Several towns hit heavily, people killed.

Its over for now, pray for those hit and those injured.

·
Super Moderator
35,570 Posts
It's been brutal...the video from Harrisburg, IL shows major destruction. While I am not a government control type person, I fail to understand why manufactured home parks are not mandated by zoning ordinance to have a central storm shelter for each location. Those parks are goldmines for the landowner, they should do something to try and keep their customers alive.

Take care my friends in the South and keep an ear on the weather radio and your sneakers on to run for cover.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
It's been brutal...the video from Harrisburg, IL shows major destruction. While I am not a government control type person, I fail to understand why manufactured home parks are not mandated by zoning ordinance to have a central storm shelter for each location. Those parks are goldmines for the landowner, they should do something to try and keep their customers alive.

Take care my friends in the South and keep an ear on the weather radio and your sneakers on to run for cover.
I had always thought how easy that would be, for trailer parks and also for new construcion apartments and condos.
We got lucky and only had some semi-major hail damage to windows, roof and cars. Cant complain compared to what some others where dealt with.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Our neck of the woods only got some heavy rain and about 60 seconds of hail today.

But, at 5:30 p.m. on August 5, 1993, my adult son, my (then two-year-old) grandbaby, and I were in the attached garage, watching a gathering storm...when we saw a tornado on the horizon (about 600 yards away) and it was heading our way. We made it into the house and took cover before it hit.

Thankfully, we all came out of the ordeal without a scratch, but the windows on the back side of the house imploded, and the ones on the north side of the house exploded. The door we used to enter the house from the garage was blown completely off (door frame and all), and was on the other side of the garage when the tornado passed.

Our home was salvageable, but it took workers three months to complete the repairs. I will toot State Farm Insurance Company's horn at this point, because their agent and company were wonderful to us in the aftermath.

It was, needless to say, a life-changing event. My heart and prayers go out to each and every one who's lives have been uprooted by the fury of nature; and for the families who are also having to deal with the death of their loved ones in the storms.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I am heartsick for those people. 'THAT' is what our tax dollars should be available for. The half billion flushed down the Solyndra toilet could sure help a lot of them get their lives back together.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Our home was salvageable, but it took workers three months to complete the repairs. I will toot State Farm Insurance Company's horn at this point, because their agent and company were wonderful to us in the aftermath.
But shortly after that (and after Andrew) State Farm was dropping home owner policies for any and every reason they could find, nor would they write any new ones.

·
Registered
123 Posts
we had one touch down just about 6 miles from my house. Tore the roof off my insurance company, irony there. Nobody was injured. I was sitting in the hallway with my family and my .40 cal millinium.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The thing that saves a lot of lives here is our TV weather people. A lot of the stations down here go into a storm warning mode. You can see where the storms are and where they are going. System is not perfect but beats what we had as kids hands down. I will agree with Milpro about some of the insurance companies being first rate. I think your agent has a lot to do with that. Pray for the people that are hit, it takes time and grace for things to return to normal. Some things will never be found or be the same.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Our neck of the woods only got some heavy rain and about 60 seconds of hail today.

But, at 5:30 p.m. on August 5, 1993, my adult son, my (then two-year-old) grandbaby, and I were in the attached garage, watching a gathering storm...when we saw a tornado on the horizon (about 600 yards away) and it was heading our way. We made it into the house and took cover before it hit.

Thankfully, we all came out of the ordeal without a scratch, but the windows on the back side of the house imploded, and the ones on the north side of the house exploded. The door we used to enter the house from the garage was blown completely off (door frame and all), and was on the other side of the garage when the tornado passed.

It was, needless to say, a life-changing event. My heart and prayers go out to each and every one who's lives have been uprooted by the fury of nature; and for the families who are also having to deal with the death of their loved ones in the storms.
Yikes! Glad it was relatively calm for you this time around.

Chilling though to think what the board would be like with no MilProGuy around.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Looks like the wife and I dodged one yesterday as well.
I'm watching the local morning news and aerial coverage of the storms that hit throughout TN yesterday.
Storms hit north and south of us, but all we had was strong winds, and rain that only lasted for about 15 min.
Yesterday the high temp was 81 degrees.. today the high is forecast to be 53.
Lots of hail accompanied these storms too. The Nashville news showed it as it came over the city.
Tornado sirens were going on and off all throughout the late afternoon.

Today, it's a beautiful sunny morning.
Prayers go out to those that lost their lives throughout the country from these storms.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Some severe damage 6 mi. south of us and 3 miles east of use. We came out damn lucky this time.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
But shortly after that (and after Andrew) State Farm was dropping home owner policies for any and every reason they could find, nor would they write any new ones.
In our situation, that was not the case. In fact, our home and both vehicles are still insured through State Farm insurance. I had an at-home business at that time, and we had a business policy to cover that, too.

In 2011, a fairly severe storm came through our neighborhood, and hail damage was the biggest type of damage we dealt with in that one. State Farm had our roof replaced and new aluminum siding on the south side gable of our house.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts