Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read about guns since I was able to read and been shooting since about the same time but haven't had the chance to actually hold or shoot as many different handguns as a lot of people. So with continued research and finally a lot of fondling at gun stores, I came to the conclusion that obviously some of you have had that the PT-145 is pretty much the perfect concealed carry weapon.

Barely larger than the Glock 26/27's, Kel-Tec 9mm's, Kahr's, etc. with 10 rd's of .45 instead of 9mm or .40...and it's controllable and accurate. It sounds so perfect and when I actually held one yesterday at a local gun store I just started laughing (maybe giggling) because it felt so good and it's just crazy to pop out the magazine and see that it really does hold 10rds

It seems so perfect but the more I look around and dig up seems like there's such a huge chance that I will get one that won't be reliable and will need to get sent back to the factory atleast once. Is this really the state of this model line?

I would buy atleast 5 of them if people would assure me that this thing is as reliable as the other pistols which don't have the perfect size/capacity/operations of this one.

If it's just going off of luck I might just get a SA-XD .45 Compact....close to the same but about an inch longer. It's really a toss up between the two in a way....but I do like the size of the PT-145 better...but can it match the reliability?

Please help, couldn't sleep last night when I'm so ready to get my first PT-145 with just an $80 starting payment..... :(

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
First off welcome from MN.

Secondly, yeah it seems there are a lot of complaints. That is simply because people make a bigger deal if something works wrong rather than right. There are lots of guys here that have the PT-145 and love it and few that are on the other end of the spectrum. Look around for a little bit and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Also don't forget that if you do have a problem with your Taurus, you can send it back. They have a lifetime waranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm gonna look up more and more and try to see if it's just one thing in particular that I can check/fix from the get go or if it's just a Q/C thing all together....

Gonna go back to the gun store with the PT-145 for now and hold it again just cuz and try out my wife's new Bersa .380 for the first time at their range. Wish they had the 145 for rent to try out. Hopefully I do pretty decent since it's been a couple years since my ex-wife sold off my Kel-Tec P11 and I'm out of the Marine Corps. Just now getting back to shooting guns again and can't wait to add a .45

Please let me know what you guys think about if it's a specific problem or not for the PT-145's reliability...gonna try to hold off on buying it when I go hold it again in an hour or so.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have the worst luck. Anything... and I mean anything I buy is usually broke or has some sort of problem. Everything I have read on the Mil Pro PT-145 is good. The bad is usually on the Mil NON-PRO PT-145. I have personally shot both the SA XD and just got the PT-145 yesterday. I had no problems with the PT-145 after 130 Rounds down range. I used WWB and Blazer steel casing and it ate both flawlessly. I love the way the SA XD shot, but I also love the PT-145 just as much. Both shoot the same! Then you factor in cost on top of that at about $200 cheaper I would recommend the PT-145 over the XD anyday. Beautiful piece of equipment and reliable. The only recommendation I would make is maybe aftermarket sights so you can adjust elevation of the sight! (Mine shoots low out of the box.)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I have both a PT145 and an XD-45 4-inch compact. It's a tough choice for me to decide which one to carry when it comes down to those two. Neither one has ever given me any sort of grief and I feel confident when carrying either gun. They both conceal equally well due to the size of the grip frames.

I personally prefer the XD due to the simpler takedown and it comes with a full-size mag with spacer so you can have a 13+1 capacity as well as a 10+1.

Buy both and then you won't have to decide. ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a the 745, hold -3 compared to a 145 otherwise same gun. I bought it because Springfield doesn't make a sub-c .45 (didn't want to have to buy different ammo than my other guns)

I like my 745, have shot many . . . rounds through it. with no FTF's. It's never been back to Taurus to get fixed and I carry it daily.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a mil pro in 40 cal and got a lemon. The more I look around the more problems I find with them. I sent the gun back almost two weeks ago and taurus still hasn't even got it in their system yet! After I had to send it back I became a member of this forum to post about my problem and once I had done that a new forum option called Taurus complaints became available. I wish they would have made that available to non members because there are tons of problems with the guns. I own 5 handguns right now and check the forums all the time and no other brand has as many posts about BRAND NEW guns, like mine, not working. It seems like this forum tries to hide or ignore all the problems Taurus has withe these guns and any time a post is overly negitive about the Taurus brand It gets swept under the rug to the complaints forum where only members can view them.

·
Administrator
39,485 Posts
I've owned 40+ handguns in my young life and never had any major issue with any of them. The PT145 has been my favorite of them all, and not a single issue with it. :thumb: :zzz:

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
Proud PT-145 owner, love it.....great gun

·
Registered
778 Posts
Have 4 Tauri in the family, two revo's (tracker & 651) and two autos (early pt111 and a gen3 pt145)
Have had zero problems with any of them. Actually the only thing I don't like about the 145 is the sights but haven't gotten around to changing them out yet.

If you read enough forums you'll find there isn't one maker out there that people haven't had problems with (including the top dollar customs jobs) and always remember that those that have had problems yell the loudest.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I,ve got the PT140 pro and carry it as my CCW, never a problem one. Just take it out of box and clean and lube well first thing.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The older PT145's had problems with the frame cracking. Years ago. Non issue now.

There seems to be a couple of current complaints:

1: The recoil spring pops through the front of the slide
2: The mags don't stay secured in the gun
3: Mags don't feed properly.
4: Light strikes from the striker assembly

I don't recall any one person having more than one of these issues with any one gun.

I do believe there is a slight quality control issue with these. I experienced #2. The problem was resolved for me, the first time, and for free. Not a deal breaker for me. You have to make your own decision.

I still recommend the MilPro series to others.

·
Registered
796 Posts
tman said:
The older PT145's had problems with the frame cracking. Years ago. Non issue now.

There seems to be a couple of current complaints:

1: The recoil spring pops through the front of the slide
2: The mags don't stay secured in the gun
3: Mags don't feed properly.
4: Light strikes from the striker assembly

I don't recall any one person having more than one of these issues with any one gun.

I do believe there is a slight quality control issue with these. I experienced #2. The problem was resolved for me, the first time, and for free. Not a deal breaker for me. You have to make your own decision.

I still recommend the MilPro series to others.
I have heard that most of the issues with the spring coming out the front is the spring being installed backwards. More positive than negative on the 3rd gen. Most all the negative I have heard about the Millenium series have been pre-PRO.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Another consideration is the xd has 4" barrel length compared to the 3" of the PT145. An inch might not seem like a lot but it is when it is in your pants, just ask my wife. Kidding.

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
WOW - check out the big brain on Chad !!!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I own three .45 sub-compacts and various S&W wheelies. A Glock 36 was my fav until I bought my Pt145 a couple of months ago. Fired lots of brands of cheap ammo, no hics or problems after 400 plus rounds. I did change the sights to Wilson 3-dot before even firing it. Fine little gun! (only paid 310 for it brand new-how can you make a mistake?)

smit

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got my PT 145 and I've only put 130 rounds through it so far but it was all the cheapest ammo I could find and it shot flawlessly. I've broke it down many times to practice and to get to know it and obviously to clean it. I've been using snap caps to practice w/ the trigger while at home and I have not had any problems so far. Plus I purchased mine through Davidsons so if I have any problems they'll get me squared away a lot quicker than Taurus would from what I hear.

·
Registered
846 Posts
twp187 I just can't agree on that we try to hide anything on these guns. I have seen to many bad posts. I have a PT140 and carry it for CCW. I just got back into all of the shooting and reloading and that is how I found this site. I read alot about Taurus here and other places and weighed good and bad, and don't regret buying any of them. I will say that if I thought (and believe many others in here the same) that if one model was bad I would say so.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts