Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting a tumbler for reloading. What is a inexpensive and common media for a tumbler.-Thanks

·
Administrator
18,111 Posts
I highly recommend it!

My media consists of 3 parts ground Corncob, 1 part coarse ground Walnut Hulls, with Iosso Brass Polish and Thumbers Tumbler Jewelers rouge added.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It's worth the money spent, I just use the treated walnut hulls.

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
I had corn cob media. We got a Harbor Freight in a nearby town and I picked up 25 lbs of walnut media for pretty cheap. I can't really discern any difference in the two as far as one being any better than the other, tell ya the truth.

·
Registered
846 Posts
NativeT. That Harbor Freight will come in as handy as a gun store, good tools there, good prices. Good place to buy stuff like digital calipers, etc. for reloading.

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
Good place to buy stuff like digital calipers, etc. for reloading
Yeah, I picked up a digital, only accurate to .01", but good enough for cases. I have a veneer caliper I've had for years and mics in the shop (I'm a motorcycle and small engine mechanic), but never got a digital caliper. It was cheap. I'll get a better one for the shop, someday, but to be honest, unless I'm rebuilding a crank or measuring valve stems or something, .01" is accurate enough for most of what I do even in the shop. Anything that takes REAL accuracy I use a mic on, anyway. They don't always have what I need, but the area is a LOT better now with 'em around. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use corncob with some liquid turtle wax added instead off brass polish. Works great. I lucked out about 5 years ago, I got a free 50lb. sack of corn cob and still have some left. Mark

·
Registered
846 Posts
NativeTex., things are put out every day with less tolerance than that, what I like about the digital is the display, good for us old guys with bad eye site, dang sure good enough for reloads.

·
Registered
73 Posts
preacher1 said:
I was thinking about getting a tumbler for reloading. What is a inexpensive and common media for a tumbler.-Thanks
I've heard that pet stores sell corn cob media for cheaper than gun stores. You might want to try your local PetSmart.

Also, I throw a used drier sheet in each time I tumble. It collects dirt/dust and extends the life of the media.

·
Registered
846 Posts
prickett, never heard that gotta try it, sure can't hurt, funny what you can learn here with a little reading.
Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered a tumbler the other day. I appreciate all the replies on media. You can learn a lot on these forums. Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Local Walmart sells Walnut media as a bird litter under the Kaytee label. I paid $5.89 for a bag, and add 1 (guys swear by it) capful of New Finish liquid car polish each time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
cantshoot4crap said:
Local Walmart sells Walnut media as a bird litter under the Kaytee label. I paid $5.89 for a bag, and add 1 (guys swear by it) capful of New Finish liquid car polish each time.
+1 I use their walnut media and Nufinish as well highly reccommended!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
The only difference I have found is that walnut shell seems to work faster. I didn't care for the Nufinish as car wax, have to try it for polishing brass.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No$4Guns said:
The only difference I have found is that walnut shell seems to work faster. I didn't care for the Nufinish as car wax, have to try it for polishing brass.
I agree as a car wax it sucks but it seems to get the shine on the brass.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Homemade Tumbler.....I made a tumbler out of an old ice cream maker just remove the "can" where you would normaly add the ice cream stuff,attach the paddle, I drilled a couple of holes and tied it up with wire nice and tight.the electric moter has a lot of torque so its strong enough for the job.just put your media in the bucket where the ice would normaly go and use the latch to lock down the lid tight plug her on in. works good and it's fast as well. P.S. fun little project to figure it all out..

·
Registered
846 Posts
james sounds good, love this site, never know what ya gonna find out.
Question, do the paddles damage cases? If not maybe you got an item to sell, or invent.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
rwcreigh said:
I dont even know what in the heck you guys are talking about!!!! corn media?walnut car wax...... :???: :???: :???:
That's why we're in the Reloads section. :p

·
Registered
723 Posts
Tum :Dbler Paddles
No the paddles arent solid they have large slots in them and with the 'ice cream can" removed there is about an inch of room between the paddles and the edge of the ice bucket. Plenty of room for the brass move around and still not cause a jam up or damage to cases. It cleans fast also,(about an hour) and they look good I'm using wallnut shells, nue finish and Bounce cut up in three in. squares.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts