Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walmart sell this stuff dirt cheap, but I understand the steel case that they use is hard on the extractor?? Any of you use this ammo??

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Shot 100 rounds of 9mm.
Dirty, smoky, can't reload it.
Did not like it, won't buy again.

·
Registered
597 Posts
It is dirty, smokey and cheap. Cant relod it.
With that said, I have shot well over 10,000 rounds of this stuff in 9mm, 45acp and 7.62x39. It works really well in my gun and for what it is works well to shoot cheaply at the range. DO NOT shoot the 5.56 in your AR the casings will break and cause you problems.
I have never encoutered a FTF or FTE when shooting Tul. Not that it cant happen, it just hasn't happened to me. That can be said for ANY amo though.
I wouldn't use it to defend myself given better choices, however I don't want to be shot with any ammo of any caliber by any manufacturer. For a cheap way to go blow through 500 rounds or more you can't beat it unless you are reloading.
Also, wallyworlds prices are just about on par with all the internet sites selling it as well. But the 450 round "spam can" is just cool and makes for convienent storage for a prepper. I have several spam cans in the above calibers just for long term safe storage.
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
I've shot a bunch of it with not a problem once. Lot of us say that it is dirty, but to honest, it is no more so dirty than any other inexpensive ammo. I think we feel we need something negative to say about it due to the price....LOL!!!

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Depending on the gun i suppose, it may be hard on the extractor. My 945 on the other hand is hard on the cases, i've seen sizable "bites" taking out of the cases by its extractor that cause rounds to FTE. However, other guns like my Hi-Point 9mm Carbine runs them without a problem, and my P-64 eats steel cases better than brass. Usually you can see how it performs by picking up 50 rounds of Tula and then 50 rounds of another like Federal, Winchester or Remington. Some guns are picky, some guns are lead hogs.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've shot a bunch of it with not a problem once. Lot of us say that it is dirty, but to honest, it is no more so dirty than any other inexpensive ammo. I think we feel we need something negative to say about it due to the price....LOL!!!
you probably just hit the casing on the primer with that one. Honestly, I think the magtech ammo I picked up at the range was dirtier and more smokey than the Tul.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
I wonder how long it has been out; & who manufactures it. Never heard of it.

·
Super Moderator
40,554 Posts
The "dirty ammo" cracks me up! I personally clean my guns every time I shoot them, I really don't see much difference in the amount of time it takes to clean a gun that is dirtier then another. Using reloads I think my guns get a little dirtier quicker then with most factory ammo, but after several hundred rounds can you really tell?

Shoot what works for you and what you can afford. If I did not start reloading I am sure I would be shooting some steel case ammo as the prices of ammo just keep going up.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I wonder how long it has been out; & who manufactures it. Never heard of it.
It's produced by Tula Cartridge Works, a Russian ammunition producer since 1880. They export their product worldwide, but the only places i tend to see it on sale consistently are online, very small LGS's, and any Walmart in your area. Here's the TulAmmo USA website, since it's much easier to read than the Russian version. Unless we all become "more flexible" after the next election.

·
Registered
597 Posts
The "dirty ammo" cracks me up! I personally clean my guns every time I shoot them, I really don't see much difference in the amount of time it takes to clean a gun that is dirtier then another. Using reloads I think my guns get a little dirtier quicker then with most factory ammo, but after several hundred rounds can you really tell?

Shoot what works for you and what you can afford. If I did not start reloading I am sure I would be shooting some steel case ammo as the prices of ammo just keep going up.
You are right. I never really looked at it like that. I guess after 400 rounds it all looks the same anyway. Good input.

·
Banned
893 Posts

ditto, I laugh at those that say don't use it, extractor problems bla bla bla. I wish a lot of you quit repeating what you here instead of trying it and form your own opinion. It is just as dirty as the most expensive ammo on the market. The steel case is a soft steel not like carbon or forged and will not hurt your extractors, if your extractor went bad while using it your extractor was going anyway. I shoot this ammo out of my 2k$ Baer and it chews it up and spits it out. If this ammo is all the bad you here I would not use it in my Baer much less my pt1911. Why not take advantage of this cheap ammo, you are doing nothing but burning up money anyway, for sd I use ammo that cost over a dollar each but for range practice I would use rocks if they shot out of my 1911's.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will purchase a box of 40 Cal and 9mm and see if my two G2's likes it , I to like to clean my guns after shooting. :cool:

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I never had a problem (cleaning or otherwise) with any of the newly produced steel case ammo. With that said, I mostly shoot the stuff in my old Soviet block style firearms. Those guns where weaned on the stuff. One of these days I may try a box or two in one of my modern day shooters. I’m thinking buying in bulk for long term storage.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I never had a problem (cleaning or otherwise) with any of the newly produced steel case ammo. With that said, I mostly shoot the stuff in my old Soviet block style firearms. Those guns where weaned on the stuff. One of these days I may try a box or two in one of my modern day shooters. I’m thinking buying in bulk for long term storage.
The 450 round spam cans. That what I use for long teem storage. I wont lie I did open one of the spam cans I purchased just to say I have and I enjoyed shooting all of it as well. All my other spam cans are tucked safely away for a time that I hope never comes, but inevitably will.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
It's produced by Tula Cartridge Works, a Russian ammunition producer since 1880. They export their product worldwide, but the only places i tend to see it on sale consistently are online, very small LGS's, and any Walmart in your area. Here's the TulAmmo USA website, since it's much easier to read than the Russian version. Unless we all become "more flexible" after the next election.
Thanks for the info, Montkun.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
I've had a problem with it sticking in the chamber. I've had to pry it out of the chamber with a pocket knife quite a few times. Now that being said I've also fired 1000's of rounds of it with no issues. I've never had that happen with Brass or Aluminum, I am guessing it is something to do with the lacquer but I am just guessing.

When it does stick, it is pretty cold outside (mid 30's) and it is after the weapon gets hot. I don't know if the temperature delta between the air and the weapon has something to do with it. I've shot alot of it during the summer with no problem. The only time I have ever had that happen is when it gets cold. Well cold for north Texas anyway.

I still use it in hot weather with no problems. If anyone here has any ideas on why it happens in cold weather other than the lacquer I would love to know since other than that i have found it to be an accurate and cheap target load.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
One issue no one mentioned is that steel expands more than brass and when you gun gets good and hot, the cases can stick in the chamber after the round fires. This can cause extractor issues as the extractor will drag over the rim of the shell. I had this happen on my Hi-Point .45 which cycles EVERYTHING... I also have a Kel-Tec SU16C (uses 223/556) and they warn NOT to use steel cased ammo. Don't know if this is legit as Cheaperthandirt.com has an interesting article on steel cased ammo saying that the modern stuff which is coated won't harm any gun these days. Everyone talks about extractor issues but I have never really seen or have any personal evidence of issues. As far as Tula being dirty, I haven't seen that issue at all BUT an AR15 likes to be kept clean much more than a rifle with an AK47 action. I have used TONS of steel cased ammo in commie weapons (my 90/31 and AKs and SKSs) and these guns love it. I suspect the chambers are not as tight and with their action don't care about a bit of crud.

·
Registered
32,029 Posts
The Tula ammo used to be imported under the name Wolf and is the same ammo as the Wolf.

About the only problem I ever encountered was the primer shells are a little thicker or harder and I did have two light strike marks on a striker fired PT145 a few years ago out of 100 rounds and never bought anymore for it. In fact, the only steel cased ammo I still have is for my AK style commie block made long guns, and I have a decent supply of it, but most bears the Wolf name.

As to being dirty, it is no worse than Win White box or UMC and I understand the Win White box is not know for having the softer primer shells either.

The steel cases are a mild "soft" steel so I would not think there would be a real serious additional wear factor.

Mostly, I prefer to support American manufactures.

·
Registered
32 Posts
the ammo works fine but i cant see how everyone keeps saying that its cheep or a good deal, all ammo is way over priced now and the ammo dealers are gonna keep putting the screws to us until we all band together and stop buying all ammo for a few weeks then they will get back in line, or atleast start to, 300.00 or 400.00 for a 1000rnds of ammo that 3yrs ago costs 52.00 a 1000 we are getting robbed blind, everyone need to wake up

1 - 20 of 25 Posts