Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day guys. I bought the pistol about a year ago. Very happy and shoots well. Only issue is that every now and then the slide is in capable of re-loading the second bullet. The magazine is very stiff and I can only get 12 bullets into the magazine with great effort. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I concider shortening the spring?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the firearm for more then a year during this time both magazines that came with has been fully loaded at all times.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quite possible after shooting half the mag you start to Limp Wrist it causing the slide to not retract enough to strip next round from the mag ! You can test this theory by loading 5 rounds and shooting and see how that works out,reason only 5 rounds at a time you dont have to recover your grip as quicky as say 10 rounds ! And Please do not cut the spring !

·
Super Moderator
37,613 Posts
Welcome and I also say that the spring is designed correctly. When newer, the last round is very difficult to load...use an Uplula or similar loader. Because of the spring pressure also, trying to "slingshot" the first round off a full mag is also very difficult. When you leave them fully loaded and shoot a few hundred rounds, they do loosen up. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

·
Administrator
40,385 Posts
Welcome from West Texas! :hand26:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I would advise to not shorten the magazine spring. As others have pointed out keeping spring under tension of a fill load will slowly reduce some of its tension. I have not had to do it with my G2C magazines, but I had to do it with a S&W semiautomatic I once owned. If you cu the spring you risk having not exert enough pressure once the spring settles in from be kept fully loaded. That could result in stove pipe rounds on chambering.

·
Registered
24,899 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Welcome aboard, from Las Vegas!
That's a little unusual that it's the second round, and not the last round that you have troble with.
I would recommend taking the magazine apart and cleaning the inside. Perhaps some rust, or a burr is causing a problem.
I know that shouldn't happen on a new gun, but you don't know how long the gun sat on the counter before you bought it.
Clean it out real good, and clean the spring too. Then rub the magazine and spring down with a lightly oiled patch.
Even cycle the spring up & down with a flat stick (popcicle), and see if you can feel it catching anywhere.
I agree with Czechbikr that UpLULA is the best loader you can get.
The last round on any magazine is always the hardest, but the UpLULA makes it easy.
Get the 9mm - 45ACP Universal loader; costs about $30-$35.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think i have not explained myself correct. Yes the mags are 12 round mags. I’m having difficult loading the last round and it is extreamly stiff. I have to realy force it in.
I carry “one up” so therefor the firearm is having difficulty transfering the first reload and it is the when it jams. So it is the second shot but the first transfer. That is why I am concidering shortening the mags spring the lessen the presure on the the first fransfer from a full mag.

·
Super Moderator
37,613 Posts
I think i have not explained myself correct. Yes the mags are 12 round mags. I’m having difficult loading the last round and it is extreamly stiff. I have to realy force it in.
I carry “one up” so therefor the firearm is having difficulty transfering the first reload and it is the when it jams. So it is the second shot but the first transfer. That is why I am concidering shortening the mags spring the lessen the presure on the the first fransfer from a full mag.
Your choice...I wouldn't do it to mine. Let us know how it works for you.

Reactions: 777Driver

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from North Texas! :wave: We're mighty glad you decided to join "Ye Merrye Crewwe". :thumb:

Don't do anything to the spring. Just leave it loaded for a week and it should run just fine.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
As others mentioned clean and lube springs and inside of magazine's. When loading magazine make sure each round is seated properly in magazine then give it a few smacks on your palm at the base and rear of magazine. This will make sure all rounds are seated properly in magazine. May have to leave them at full capacity for several months. If you cut the springs may have problems with slide not locking back on last round and other feeding issues.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I think i have not explained myself correct. Yes the mags are 12 round mags. I’m having difficult loading the last round and it is extreamly stiff. I have to really force it in.
Like Czechbikr, I would not make any physical changes to the magazine. That would probably void your warranty.
Like Taurus1965, I would make sure that the rounds (especially the last) are seated all the way back in the magazine.
Again, clean and LIGHTLY oil the magazine (a very thin film).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts