Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently carry a Kel-Tec P11 (9mm) and a Kel-Tec P32 for backup (32.cal). I am left-handed. I have had injuries resulting in nerve damage to my LEFT hand, and arthritis to my RIGHT hand and wrist has gotten progressively worse. I'm almost 80, and have been shooting all my life, and CCW for last 22 years. I can shoot just fine, but can hardly rack the slide on both pistols. I recently bought two "Handi-Racker" tools. They work OK on the range, but I hate carrying them around. I also have an old 1873 .45 LC bird's head revolver, but it is really difficult to conceal. I've been looking at the Taurus TH9C, as they say the slide is easy to rack, and is "ambidextrous". However, I like the look and specs of. the G2C. Can anyone tell me about the spring tension on this one, and whether it would be as easy to rack as the TH9C? Thanks.

·
Registered
G3C T.O.R.O.
698 Posts
Welcome to the forum from KY! The easiest pistols I have ever racked are the S&W EZ series. Available in 9mm or 380, you can rack them with two fingers. My father (83YO) just bought a 380EZ and has no problems. Plus, the magazines on both guns are easy to load. My G3C isn't hard to rack, but it may be more than you would like. Do what I had my father do, go rent a couple of guns at an indoor range and try them out. You may find something you like to load, but it may not shoot well for you.

·
Registered
609 Posts
kinda wish i had bought a th9c compac or full size instead of the gx4 i recently bought . i`m starting to think i
don`t like small concealed carry semi auto guns -------------

·
Registered
30,005 Posts
kinda wish i had bought a th9c compac or full size instead of the gx4 i recently bought . i`m starting to think i
don`t like small concealed carry semi auto guns -------------
You make a good point. If I may generalize: bigger, heavier pistols are easier to rack.

·
Registered
37,946 Posts
You make a good point. If I may generalize: bigger, heavier pistols are easier to rack.

yes indeed, MY 10 MM full sized 1911 with that 21 pound recoil spring almost racks itself!---Grrriiin.

Reactions: cnc1

·
Registered
609 Posts
not to side track the post , but i have a tristar t-100 that`s pretty similar to a th9c that i think i`m going to start toting .
clone of a witness --cz 75 compac . aluminum frame ,double action -single action , high cap. mags ,and has
a safety . little bigger , but not full size . easier to control than the small guns with its bigger grip . chuts good -----------

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I use to carry both the PT-111 G2 and the G2C (pretty much the same gun). I really like the G2C for its size, capacity (12+1), and feel. It shoots well, has a round-in-chamber indicator, a rail, and a clean crip external safety. I often said that the only thing the G2C was lacking was a decocker to make it the perfect carry gun. A hammer would be nice too. I wanted a decocker, because I didn't like the idea of the spring on the striker or hammer being under constant tension, especially when I appendix carry and the the muzzle is pointed at my junk!

Then Taurus came out with the TH9 and TH9C.
The TH9C is VERY similar to the G2C, but is hammer-fired instead of striker, AND comes with a decocker. PERFECT!!!
I don't have a big thing against striker-fired guns, but if everything else on the gun were equal, and I could choose between a hammer and a striker, I'd probably take the hammer.

In May of 2020 I got a TH9C from Kentucky Gun Company (www.kygunco.com) for $237.
Kentucky Gun Company was very good, and my TH9C was delivered to my LGS in 4 days.

I cleaned and oiled my new TH9C. When I finally got to shoot it, I was moderately impressed. I say “moderately”, because at first I didn't like the feel of the trigger in double-action mode after decocking the hammer. In single-action the trigger is fine, smooth and crisp, and about a 5 lbs pull. In double-action, the trigger was a long pull (which I expected), and it was heavier (about 9 lbs, also expected), but it was also rough and almost gritty; not smooth at all.

I voiced my disappointment on this forum, and several other members said that it will smooth out after several hundred rounds. I cleaned the TH9C again, and heavily oiled the trigger spring area. Then I put a snap-cap in the chamber, and started dry-firing the heck out of it. I'd sit and watch TV, while dry-firing it. It took a while, but the trigger pull in double-action mode did smooth out. Now the trigger pull is acceptable in both single-action, and double-action.

Another thing about the TH9C: It comes with both a 17-round, and a 13-round magazine. The 13-round has a flat plate, which means your pinkie finger slips off the bottom. Why Taurus didn't put a lip on that magazine like they did on their G2C is beyond me. Fortunately, for just $12.50, Galloway Precision (www.gallowayprecision.com) makes a bottom plate for the TH9C that extends just enough to support your pinky finger, AND it increases the magazine capacity by one round, making the TH9C a 14+1 carry pistol. Fantastic!!!

Now I have a compact, hammer-fired, 14+1 capacity pistol, with a round-in-chamber indicator, a rail, a manual safety, AND a decocker. THIS is the carry weapon that I have been looking for, and I highly recommend it.

Also, if you're looking for a holster for the TH9 or TH9C, check out the Stealth Operator, by Phalanx Defense Systems (wwwphalanxsystems.com).

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I use to carry both the PT-111 G2 and the G2C (pretty much the same gun). I really like the G2C for its size, capacity (12+1), and feel. It shoots well, has a round-in-chamber indicator, a rail, and a clean crip external safety. I often said that the only thing the G2C was lacking was a decocker to make it the perfect carry gun. A hammer would be nice too. I wanted a decocker, because I didn't like the idea of the spring on the striker or hammer being under constant tension, especially when I appendix carry and the the muzzle is pointed at my junk!

Then Taurus came out with the TH9 and TH9C.
The TH9C is VERY similar to the G2C, but is hammer-fired instead of striker, AND comes with a decocker. PERFECT!!!
I don't have a big thing against striker-fired guns, but if everything else on the gun were equal, and I could choose between a hammer and a striker, I'd probably take the hammer.

In May of 2020 I got a TH9C from Kentucky Gun Company (www.kygunco.com) for $237.
Kentucky Gun Company was very good, and my TH9C was delivered to my LGS in 4 days.

I cleaned and oiled my new TH9C. When I finally got to shoot it, I was moderately impressed. I say “moderately”, because at first I didn't like the feel of the trigger in double-action mode after decocking the hammer. In single-action the trigger is fine, smooth and crisp, and about a 5 lbs pull. In double-action, the trigger was a long pull (which I expected), and it was heavier (about 9 lbs, also expected), but it was also rough and almost gritty; not smooth at all.

I voiced my disappointment on this forum, and several other members said that it will smooth out after several hundred rounds. I cleaned the TH9C again, and heavily oiled the trigger spring area. Then I put a snap-cap in the chamber, and started dry-firing the heck out of it. I'd sit and watch TV, while dry-firing it. It took a while, but the trigger pull in double-action mode did smooth out. Now the trigger pull is acceptable in both single-action, and double-action.

Another thing about the TH9C: It comes with both a 17-round, and a 13-round magazine. The 13-round has a flat plate, which means your pinkie finger slips off the bottom. Why Taurus didn't put a lip on that magazine like they did on their G2C is beyond me. Fortunately, for just $12.50, Galloway Precision (www.gallowayprecision.com) makes a bottom plate for the TH9C that extends just enough to support your pinky finger, AND it increases the magazine capacity by one round, making the TH9C a 14+1 carry pistol. Fantastic!!!

Now I have a compact, hammer-fired, 14+1 capacity pistol, with a round-in-chamber indicator, a rail, a manual safety, AND a decocker. THIS is the carry weapon that I have been looking for, and I highly recommend it.

Also, if you're looking for a holster for the TH9 or TH9C, check out the Stealth Operator, by Phalanx Defense Systems (wwwphalanxsystems.com).
Have you ever tried to take a 13 rd mag from the G2C and try it in the TH9C?

·
Super Moderator
41,287 Posts
Welcome to the forum from northern Georgia . The CZ and clones are great guns but with the smaller serrated area at the rear of the slide they may also present issues with retracting it. A revolver may be the best answer for the issue of hand strength and pain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts