Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BBGun sent me a few LRN that he cast for me to try so I can decide if I want to spend the coin to cast my own.
Loaded 8, but screwed one up, so I have 7 to try.
Here is what they look like next to a Federal 115gr. FMJ.
I used 4.4gr. of HP-38 and the OAL is 1.155" +- .002", hard to keep them exactly the same.
Winchester brass, CCI 500 SPP.
Seems lead seats easier than jacketed.
Will give them a try in the morning.
Ammunition Bullet Metal Gun accessory Brass

· Administrator
19,777 Posts
Very Nice! :cool: Hope they shoot well for you!

I've used similar Bullets in the past and my PT92 loves them.

· Registered
4,046 Posts
I have actually started buying these for target and all of my 9mm love them. These are 125 gr .356 dia and once sold by Speer but now also available through a number of sites. They work great and have used several different powders with them such as Bullseye, Titegroup, Unique, Universal, Clays and my favorite with them HP-38. I find them pretty accurate too once you get the right amount of powder.

Attachments

· Registered
2,024 Posts
Hope they work well,tried cast in my 9mm a long time ago and they really leaded up the bore,bought from a known mass reloader thru a lgs friend.must have been very soft,still have 1 box but Its not worth the unleading effort to me.they sure did expand in a wet phone book though!! measured with a tape measure they were about 1/2 inch!!

· Registered
4,046 Posts
Hope they work well,tried cast in my 9mm a long time ago and they really leaded up the bore,bought from a known mass reloader thru a lgs friend.must have been very soft,still have 1 box but Its not worth the unleading effort to me.they sure did expand in a wet phone book though!! measured with a tape measure they were about 1/2 inch!!
They all will unless you match the bullet to the bore and the right amount of powder. Once that is right never been a problem with the right lube to do the job. For those that I sometimes get that aren't lubed I use X-Lox 2500+ and pan lube. I guess though all 4 of my 9mm bores are so close they all run the same bullet without a problem though 3 are Taurus and the other Armscor.

· Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OK. Just went out back and shot the 7 LRN.
One flier, probably me, upper left.
Green Sport venue Line Circle Grass

15 yards, standing, 2 hands, strong side.
Slight leading in the barrel, cleaning now.

Discounting the flier, it's 3" center to center on the farthest holes.
X ring to left hole in 9 ring.

· Registered
520 Posts
Measure the diameter of the bullets and slug the barrel of your gun. A good fit is a bullet .001"-.002" larger than groove diameter. I shoot lead 90% of the time in all my guns and my loads won't lead the barrel if the bullet fits the gun...

· Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I think I finally know where the saying "get the lead out" comes from.
Only 7 rounds and I had to scrub that barrel for 30 minutes before it was clean!
Brass brush, BreakFree, 40-X Bore Cleaner, RemOil, repeat several times.

· Premium Member
17,743 Posts

· Premium Member
17,743 Posts
Well, I think I finally know where the saying "get the lead out" comes from.
Only 7 rounds and I had to scrub that barrel for 30 minutes before it was clean!
Brass brush, BreakFree, 40-X Bore Cleaner, RemOil, repeat several times.
You need to slug that barrel.

· Premium Member
17,743 Posts
Don't tell me, tell BBGun, he cast 'em.:D
They worked, so what's the difference? Only .0005 to .001 off.
Heck, those shot better than the XTP I have.
The difference is they leaded the barrel like crazy. Put a few more rounds through and accuracy will go south once the lead builds up.

· Premium Member
16,973 Posts
Were the bullets lubed? If not leading will be a major issue....

· Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's not that there was a lot of leading, it was just hard to get out.
Bullets were lubed.
With plated or jacketed I only have to clean out powder.

· Premium Member
17,743 Posts
It's not that there was a lot of leading, it was just hard to get out.
Bullets were lubed.
With plated or jacketed I only have to clean out powder.
If you shoot lead a lot, a Lewis Lead Remover is pretty handy. But a patch cut from a "Miracle Cloth" and used with a jagged cleaning tip works very well too.

Really there shouldn't be leading from 7 rounds. Most leading is caused by gas blowing by the bullet from being too small and/or, believe or not, too hard.

· Registered
1,831 Posts
I don't know guys. I use them in my C9, Hi Point and no unusal leading. I just went shooting this morning. Shot about 50 rounds. Barrel is dirty but no problem with leading. These may be a little small for his barrel. I'll go mic the bullets. Now I'm curious.

· Premium Member
16,973 Posts
I don't know guys. I use them in my C9, Hi Point and no unusal leading. I just went shooting this morning. Shot about 50 rounds. Barrel is dirty but no problem with leading. These may be a little small for his barrel. I'll go mic the bullets. Now I'm curious.
What is the weight of those bullets, 115?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.