Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since so many seem to be convinced that bullets falling from nearly straight up are SO dangerous. :) I think that they are just convinced that hitting tossed up soda cans is SO hard to do that they don't even want to try it. Actually, with a bit of practice, it can be done with a slingshot, tossing the can yourself. Just let the fork of the sling dangle, while keeping your marble, etc, pinched in the pouch, ready to fire.

The trick is in throwing the can nearly straight up, plenty high, so as to give you lots of time to grab a good 2 handed firing position, see your sights, move the gun with the can's fall, aim at the bottom of the can, and control the trigger. the hit occurs at a few feet of distance from the muzzle. A truly fast man can do this indoors, with an 8 ft high ceiling, but most people will need to fire while the can is still above 45 degrees from horizontal, with nothing but air behind the target.

I learned this with with "primer only" wax ammo, in a 1911 .45 ACP. The big wax slugs will kill birds at 20 ft, but fall to the ground at 60 ft or less. they are 400 fps or so and very easy to see in flight. So yuo can tell why you missed. but they are a PITA to load, gotta clean the wax out of the bore every 20 shots or so (20 ga bronze bristle brush) and gotta intall an extractor with a shortened hook and less bend to it.

With a bit of practice, you can learn to hit 1" rocks that you toss up yourself, about 1/2 of your tries. :) It blows people's minds, usually, but it's not that hard to learn to do. i have taught people to hit the soda cans in a few minutes, using the wax ammo, then the .22lr conversion unit, on the 1911, in another hour. this sort of control with the .45 comes a bit tougher, but it can be done. :)

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One time, on a bet, I tossed up a soda can, drew a lw Commander from under my shirttail, cycled the slide (gun cocked and locked, but chamber empty) and hit a 2" clay ball that I had tossed up, with the hand that "cleared" the shirttail. A friend was ready to bet $100 against my $10 that I couldn't do it, but I just took his $10. :) Hey, he got a cheap lesson.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
First time I ever fired a shotgun was shooting clays with a guy I used to work with. He had an old over under shotgun that was one sweet shooter, I ended up tagging 9 out of 10 clays that he tossed. I'll give all that credit to the gun since my eyes aren't really that good. Lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.