Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a thread similar, but it does not take the same path. :sarcasm: or is it the TRUTH?

What am I thankful for?

People always ask this stupid question every year around this time. Like, Thanksgiving Day, really means something in this day and age, like it did when the Pilgrims had their, so called, first Thanksgiving Day celebration.

Well, they did have something to be thankful for, they survived the long trip to the new world and survived the long winter, and just to be alive was a miracle indeed. I wonder how many of them went around asking the question: What are you thankful for this year?

So, moving on forward to the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century, we still find someone who wants to know what we are thankful for. I see this as nothing but a nosey person who just wants to put you on the spot in hopes of finding out your private business! I ask, in the first place why the hell do you care? What is my telling you, what I am thankful for, going to do for you? Are you going to compare and contrast with your own thankfulness? Just what will that do for you?

Let’s get with reality people! No one really cares what you are thankful for! It has no bearing on their life, nor is it going to make theirs better, by knowing what you are thankful for. Your telling them serves no purpose, other than give you an opportunity to boast about your successes over the past year and make you feel good, as you pound your chest. Also, it provides you the opportunity to confess about some shortcomings in your relationship or maybe brag about how great your relationships are. ......Please, just stop the BS and drop the question!

Really, why should you care?

Just an alternate view, nothing more or nothing less.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I know there is a thread similar, but it does not take the same path. :sarcasm: or is it the TRUTH?

What am I thankful for?

People always ask this stupid question every year around this time. Like, Thanksgiving Day, really means something in this day and age, like it did when the Pilgrims had their, so called, first Thanksgiving Day celebration.

Well, they did have something to be thankful for, they survived the long trip to the new world and survived the long winter, and just to be alive was a miracle indeed. I wonder how many of them went around asking the question: What are you thankful for this year?

So, moving on forward to the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century, we still find someone who wants to know what we are thankful for. I see this as nothing but a nosey person who just wants to put you on the spot in hopes of finding out your private business! I ask, in the first place why the hell do you care? What is my telling you, what I am thankful for, going to do for you? Are you going to compare and contrast with your own thankfulness? Just what will that do for you?

Let’s get with reality people! No one really cares what you are thankful for! It has no bearing on their life, nor is it going to make theirs better, by knowing what you are thankful for. Your telling them serves no purpose, other than give you an opportunity to boast about your successes over the past year and make you feel good, as you pound your chest. Also, it provides you the opportunity to confess about some shortcomings in your relationship or maybe brag about how great your relationships are. ......Please, just stop the BS and drop the question!

But seriously... What are you thankful for this year? Lol

Creek

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
You bring up a valid point: Nobody cares what anybody thinks or what anybody else cares about.

But that's also the point: In a time when all we care about is ourselves and instant gratification, and our biggest worries are what shoes to wear with what shirt or which restaurant to go to....then maybe we do need to stop and try to take a minute and find something to truely be thankful for.

Nah, you don't have to share it. You don't have to tell anybody. It can be your own private thanfulness.

JUst as long as you can find something, then the question has done a great thing: made us be appreciative of something...anything.

Me? I am thankful I am well off enough to be able to forget to be thankful for what I have.

I am mostly thankful for having met my wife, who also happens to not only be my soul mate and guardian angel, but also my best friend.

Most of who I am is because she is who she is, and she is that with me.

Anyways, just because somebody asks, it doesn't mean you have to answer.

Hey in a unrelated tradition....what's the name of your bank, it's address and your account number? :cool:

·
Registered
5,423 Posts

November 26, 1998

Thanksgiving
Someone, somewhere comments, "What the hell do I have to be thankful for?"
What will you tell that person? Will you shrug off the comment, or reach out with a loving heart and say something to ease the spirit. I'm ashamed that sometimes I ignore that statement, and, even though I know and appreciate the many things which God has done for me and I know and appreciate all the things He has given me I fail to tell that someone about even one time when God has given me exactly what I need exactly when I needed it.

So, this Thanksgiving, I'll tell someone what I'm thankful for:

I'm thankful first and most of all, that God Loves me, and proved it best when He allowed his Son to die for me, just so I wouldn't have to suffer the consequences for my sins. I know He Loves me because He forgives me every day, for every sin, just because I ask Him to.

I'm thankful that Jesus saved me from myself, and even though I am not worthy of His Love, He died on a cross so I might live.

I'm thankful for the conscience He gave me, to guide me away from places and things which will harm me.

I'm thankful for my family who has put up with my shenannigans for 47 years, and even though they knew I lived a shame filled life, instead of shipping me off to some secluded place where I wouldn't embarrass them they loved me and told me so.

I'm thankful for the friends who God has sent my way. Some good, some not so good, but all much loved.

I'm thankful for the time I got to spend with my family and friends, even though some are gone too soon and I would have liked to spend one more day with them and tell them how much I love them; And for the strength to go on when they leave.

I'm thankful to be able to see the beauty that surrounds me, and to be able to hear the sounds that lift my spirit when I'm down.

I'm thankful that God has kept all His promises, and has protected me and fed me and kept me warm, and has given me contentment when I could easily want more.

Finally, I am thankful that my God lets me love Him, and that He hasn't turned His back on me.
No matter what wrongs I do, He lets me come to Him in prayer and worship Him, and ask His forgiveness; and then His Spirit comforts me, and gives me peace.

Every day I find new things to be thankful for, so...how is it that someone can even ask that question?

God's Blessins' be on ya'
Love, rjr

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
I'm thankful some of you thought to actually start this thread... It causes me, again, to reflect on my attitude of gratitude. One year ago this I wasn't sure my wife was going to survive (bad infection after breast cancer surgery) She did, I'm eternally grateful.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
I would hope that we ask the question; What are you thankful for, with the intent to slow people down from the frenetic, stressed out, and desensitized pace of daily life and remind them that the joy in our lives comes from within. With all the sham and drudgery that life can bring we sometimes need a reminder to stop for a moment and reflect upon what is good in our own lives; to remind ourselves of why we work so hard, put so much effort into our lives, and strive to make our families comfortable and safe. We can get so wrapped up in what we think is important that we sometimes forget to take a moment to smell the roses and realize how fortunate we are for the things in our lives that make us happy and bring us joy.

I've asked that question many times before and I've answered it many times before, and never once did I think someone was trying to pry into my life, or that I was wanting to see if the things that made me happy were better or grander than someone elses. I hope I never get that jaded with life. Whether you spell out what you're thankful for in print for others to share, or whether you just reflect quietly in your own mind or with your friends and family, I hope you will all take the time at least once a year and remember the things that you are thankful for, whatever they may be. Thankfulness and happiness go hand in hand and both can only come from within your own mind out of respect for the things that are important to you.

·
Registered
12,089 Posts
We have become a nation of narcissists !

·
Registered
27,177 Posts
Sometimes people ask about your life because they actually care. Be thankful for that if you can't find anything else to be thankful for.

·
Registered
388 Posts

starting off i believe that one of the problems of our culture at this time is that we don't care about what is happening with the people around us. People in general are so much more self centered and self absorbed that they dont know how to interact with each other face to face. the millennial generation will sit around in a room as a group and talk to each other by text than actually carry on a conversation with each other face to face. they will break up with each other, fire someone from a job, and and even hook up all from the safety of their phone or computer screens.

But there are pockets or subcultures that have not lost the understanding and importance of talking to each other and caring about what is happening in others lives. Some church families are one, and many or the recovering communities are two examples where the idea of talking to each other about how they are doing and asking what they are grateful for are very important pieces of the process of relating to each other and helping each other.

A differing alternative view.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts

What am I thankful for?

AOCM.RET, I respect your feelings about this, really, I do. But with the utmost due respect, I do not
think of it as a stupid question. If I ask a person what they are thankful for, I do it seriously. Not just
to go through the motions, & not really give a care if they have anything to be thankful for, or not,
I care about people.

And I don't want to get into anyone's private business; I just really care. Because we should give a
damn about our friends & neighbors! Very sorry I am, that you seem to have that glass half-empty
mood, but my glass is half-full! Always half-full! And this may come as a surprise to you.
But even if you don't give a damn about what I am thankful for, I give a damn about what you may
be thankful for!

I don't just say that to sound good. I don't go out of my way to impress anyone. Not my style.
But, when I ask someone that question; I mean it! ;)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
If someone posts in general... in regards to what everyone is thankful for.. I don't think they are prying into my business. If I did, I would just choose not to respond to the post. I respond to posts like that, because I am truly happy of all that I have, a house, food and family all of the basics that a lot of people do not have. And the most over all, the LORD God that helps me. My 2 cents.

Reactions: AOCM.RET

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AOCM.RET, I respect your feelings about this, really, I do. But with the utmost due respect, I do not
think of it as a stupid question. If I ask a person what they are thankful for, I do it seriously. Not just
to go through the motions, & not really give a care if they have anything to be thankful for, or not,
I care about people.

And I don't want to get into anyone's private business; I just really care. Because we should give a
damn about our friends & neighbors! Very sorry I am, that you seem to have that glass half-empty
mood, but my glass is half-full! Always half-full! And this may come as a surprise to you.
But even if you don't give a damn about what I am thankful for, I give a damn about what you may
be thankful for!

I don't just say that to sound good. I don't go out of my way to impress anyone. Not my style.
But, when I ask someone that question; I mean it! ;)
Well, I guess you and others did not pay attention to the fact this was done as sarcasm and as to the standard set, by older members before me, typed in green, as per sarcasm post, as I was told by said older member.

Now, you don't know me personally, so your assumption about my mood is way off base. And why do you find it necessary to curse at me with such disrespect? This gives me cause to question your comments as to being as truthful as you want me and others to believe.

I placed that sarcasm to invoke thought when one asks that question of another, i.e. why do I ask this of people and do I really want to know the answer. Nothing but a mental exercise. Sorry it got your panties in a wad. With all due respect.

Reactions: JimmyA

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Well, I guess you and others did not pay attention to the fact this was done as sarcasm and as to the standard set, by older members before me, typed in green, as per sarcasm post, as I was told by said older member.

Now, you don't know me personally, so your assumption about my mood is way off base. And why do you find it necessary to curse at me with such disrespect? This gives me cause to question your comments as to being as truthful as you want me and others to believe.

I placed that sarcasm to invoke thought when one asks that question of another, i.e. why do I ask this of people and do I really want to know the answer. Nothing but a mental exercise. Sorry it got your panties in a wad. With all due respect.

Speaking only for myself, Never heard of the sarcasm/green thing.

·
Registered
16,968 Posts
Very sorry I am, that you seem to have that glass half-empty
mood, but my glass is half-full! Always half-full!
You could not be more wrong.
That glass is neither half-empty nor half-full.
That glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Am I the only one here that understands these things? :???:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts