Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I purchased a PT 738 at a local gun show. Initially, it ran well and seemed to handle the three brands of ammo I fed it. Then about 150 rounds in, it started to have FTEs and FTFs. I took it home and cleaned it thoroughly. The problems got worse. When I finally sent it back to Taurus, the slide wouldn't move with a magazine in place. I tried different magazines. Nothing.
The problem is that I really like the gun. It fit nicely in any pocket. It fit nicely in my hand. It was a bit jumpy on recoil, but nothing too bad and I expect that out of a small pistol.
I don't want to give up on the 738 but if it doesn't come back more reliable, I'll be looking for a new pocket carry.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
There are numerous threads here on problems with the 738. Just do a search. It seems as though Taurus quality is quite spotty with the 738. You either get a good one or a lemon. Hope you get things figured out.

·
22,768 Posts
There are numerous threads here on problems with the 738. Just do a search. It seems as though Taurus quality is quite spotty with the 738.
Any handgun forum on the web will have "numerous threads on problems with the ___" Selection bias is real.

Boocomet, does the pistol disassemble easily? Reassemble? Without the mag in place, does a function check go well (rack slide, pull and hold trigger, watch the hammer move, keep holding trigger after the pull while you rack the slide, release the trigger and pull it again)? See any burrs anywhere?

Reactions: mingaa

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
I Have a 738 has been good so far, But it wont outlast My Sig 238, Just an opinion ,

If you shoot them both the same number of times, the 738 will never outlast a sig. Hence, the difference in price.

·
Registered
36,611 Posts
If you shoot them both the same number of times, the 738 will never outlast a sig. Hence, the difference in price.
well kinda, sorta maybe!
there is the single action short, light trigger, the manual thumb safety, the actual sights, the interchangeable grip panels, the exterior finish, the interior workmanship, the availability of parts, the customer service.

·
Registered
36,611 Posts
Who has shot a 738 till it has worn out? Or a Sig for that matter. Otherwise, just speculation.
Not me!
the TCP was quickly put into storage after being returned from the mothership (at about 4-500 rounds), ran 100 rounds through it to be sure the repair was done then into the back of the gun safe.
The Sig 238 is now I estimate past 2 K in rounds fired and still working wonderfully. will keep you all updated if I wear it out.-------:D

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I have alot of carry pistols ...around 30ish .. The TCP is the only semiauto pistol I own two of ...thats says alot of what I think of the little pistol ....,
But having said that . Humans make mistakes... Thats a fact .. .. I say , take advantage of the warranty..... Git'r fixed

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts