Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, who all has had problems with their PT-145? I'm very interested in this gun because of it's size and weight and still being in .45ACP. I have read some negative things about it, like the frame cracking, etc. I did read one though, where the guy admitted shooting 230gr rounds when I think the manual says 225gr max. Is that right?

Inquiring minds...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have around 1200 through mine in a relatively short period, all 230gr, 90% FMJ and 10% JHP. No issues, plus if I remember correctly the frames cracking issues were on earlier generations.

I've only put about 50 rounds of +P through mine and I think the occasional mag at the range and using it for carry ammo would be fine.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The cracked frames were early 1st gen and not all of them had the problem... and it wasn't the frame that cracked, it was the magazine/grip area where there are a lot of flat, thin areas. Bad press, like bad rumors, linger forever.

The Taurus manual actual says... .45 ACP....................................................225 GR FMJ 900 FPS

There is a formula for determining chamber pressure and recoil, and as long as a 230 gr at a slower speed is within that parameter, there is no problem. However, there are a LOT of guys who have shot a LOT of 230 gr hard ball ammo without a hiccup. Don't know the velocity of the WWB ammo is, but as long as I wasn't trying to push the gun to shoot P+ ammo for target practice, it wouldn't seem to be a problem.

And to tell the truth... 185gr ammo doesn't bark or bite as bad... and a .45 hole is a .45 hole whether made by a 185 gr or 230 gr bullet.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Mil-spec .45ACP runs at 800 fps, give or take, so it should be fine in you pistol. Since most plinking .45 is loaded to mil-spec, this is a good point to ponder. Of course, if you reload, you can tailor a load to your gun.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
No problems with mine. I've got prolly a couple thousand rounds through it, and the only time I've had any probs was when I bathed the firing pin in oil. I shoot a lot of WWB ammo.

As long as you have a 2nd or 3rd gen, I think you should be fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dont listen to the rumor mill, if your picking one up soon it should be 2nd or 3rd generation, The problems came with the first generation 145. I love my 45, the sights may not bee dead nuts but it is reliable and ive have never had a problem with it, as far as the sights being off, their not far enough off to really complain about, if you catch someone in the general area with this gun... their going down!

·
Registered
119 Posts
The firing pin return spring broke on mine. I had maybe 500 rounds through it at the time. I don't believe it's a common problem since it was really really hard to find anyone else with the same experience on the web. I sent it in to Taurus and they fixed it for free. I later learned it was a $5 item I could have replaced in 10 minutes.

I've fired almost 1000 rounds of nothing but 230 gr.

Would I buy the same gun if I could do it all over again? Hell yes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No problems with mine have over 1500 rounds thru it. Although i was shooting low with it. It was my problem i changed the way i lined up the sights (straight eight)and now it shoots right on. Also changed the color of the sights from white to orange front yellow rear.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Actually, the odds of buying a new gun that has to go back to the factory is substantially less than buying a new car that doesn't have to go back to the shop for issues. The lifetime warranty is a whole lot better than any car running down the road.

For every one of you guys who have had to send a gun back in the first 1000 rounds, there are dozens of dozens of us who appreciate the fact that you were the one the gun gods picked so that the rest of us could shoot without care!

My heartfelt appreciation!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Agreed! The PT145 is a great little gun. Even if mine broke tomorrow and I had to send it back, I would not feel like I got a bum deal. These are sweet shooting little .45s!

Todd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts