Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I took my 24/7 pro C 9 to the range last night for the first time.

Major problems.... I shot 200 rounds and at least 30 (lost count) were light primer strikes with no detonation. Visually inspecting the round after the strike, you could see the small dent in the primer, but definately not hit hard enough to ignite.
Most would go off on the 2nd or sometimes 3rd DA trigger pull.

I was shooting cheap Wolf ammo, but I've never had a problem with it in my Smith M&P.
I think I will try other ammo before I send it back to Taurus.

Prior to the range visit, I did a little bit of dry fire with snap caps, but that shouldn't
have hurt anything.

Anyone have similiar problems like this? Any advice?
Ryan

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well if you have used Wolf before, with dif gun. It might be a good idea to try some other brands. I heard somewhere that some Wolf has hard primers. I do not have the thread info, but some guns like a more limited list of ammo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel a little better knowing that it just may be the ammo.

Still, why would the striker in the Taurus not hit as hard as in my Smith M&P ?

Hopefully its just the ammo. I'm willing to accept that not all guns like all ammo.
Next trip out, I will test CCI Blazer.

Ryan

·
Registered
589 Posts
Some others have had similar issues due to a dirty firing pin channel, try cleaning it with a spray cleaner before sending it in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What product should I buy to do that ?

How do I clean the channel. Spray directly inside the hole where the striker is?

Ryan

·
Registered
70 Posts
ryank78 said:
What product should I buy to do that ?

How do I clean the channel. Spray directly inside the hole where the striker is?

Ryan
Thats they way I do it.

·
Super Moderator
21,452 Posts
Try Break free its a great product

·
Registered
184 Posts
Had the same problem with my 24/7 PRO 45. I tried every thing from recleaning to ammo changes, didn't help. Spoke to customer service and they told me to send it in. 7 weeks later got it back with new firing pin assembly and that seemed to fix the problem. I still get a light strike ocassionaly but probably 1 out of 200.

·
Registered
8 Posts
try the break free spray, taurus packs these guns with alot of grease if its any gunk in their this should remove it. ive shoot 200 rds in mine no problems. 8)

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had a similar problem with my brand new 24/7 pro when I first got it. First trip to the range and I had at least 15 misfires out of 100 rds. Thought it was the ammo, Fiocchi FMJ. On the second trip, I had around 10 Misfires out of 100 rds using Remington UMC FMJ. Subsequent trips using various types of ammo had gradually less and less misfires. Now, I'm at 700rds, and the past 300 have been 100% misfire free.

Not sure exactly what it was...either just that it needed some breaking in, or the fact that I normally wick some Break Free into the striker channel when I clean it. I would give it a little bit of time and effort before sending it back to Taurus.

I wonder sometimes how much of the backup they have with repairs is because they are fixing so many things that aren't actually broken. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your input guys.

It still bothers me that a gun would need breaking in just to light a round properly
every time.

Taurus needs to address that issue if it wants to compete with the big boys
in the reliability dept. I have a loooong way to go before I trust this
gun as a carry weapon.

Ryan

·
Administrator
39,480 Posts
I bought a non-Taurus pocket gun recently. In the owners manual it recommends a break-in period as well as listing malfuctions that may be experienced during this time. I had 3 failure to feeds early on. The little gun appears to be flawless now.And I do trust it. I've never trusted any new gun I've owned, out of the box. I have always shot 'em awhile until I was sure they were reliable. :angel:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not for the faint of heart. I had a similar issue with my Titanium 357 Mag Tracker actually. Tried different Wolfe hammer spings and no joy. Finally, I thought I would check the firing pin channel to see if it had crap in it. Upon inspection, it was clean, I decided to clip a coil and a half off of the firing pin return spring and lo and friggin' behold....that cured it. In fact, I even swapped out the factory spring again for an extra light Wolfe spring and still had positive primer strikes. Seems that some of their firing pin return springs may have one too many coils, preventing the firing pin from fully engaging the primer and/or harder primers. maybe that'll help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
chewy... yikes.... i dont want to mess with anything like that... that amounts to effectively smithing a new gun out of the box.

If I can't get it right with cleaning the striker channel and using different ammo, its going back to Taurus and they have to make it right.

Ryan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok guys.... heres an update.

good news.... I have since started shooting CCI Blazer 115 gr FMJ.
Had only 2 misfires.

The last 300 rounds have been trouble free. I guess the problem is
working itself out.

Ryan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts