Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my renewal class 3 months before my birthday (in case things are slow). My understanding -- which my instructor verfied -- was that renewals did NOT require new fingerprints.

So, after a 4-week wait, I get a letter from the DPS telling me that my fingerprints are not acceptable by the FBI ( they were the last time), and that I needed to get a digital scan. So I will, but it will cost me $10 and a 25-mile drive to get there.

Has anyone else had this? I thought it was part of the "simplication" deal. Fingerprints don't change.

Administrator
Haven't had that problem. Since they're on file I haven't submitted prints, other than on the original CHL. Photos will obviously have to be redone at some point. But who knows, the FBI is under baaarrracck's control these days, and we all know he doesn't like guns, or those who do.

Registered
SPECULATION!

Were your original prints the old fashioned 10 card, ink on paper?

About 2 years ago DPS went to all digital fingerprints. I can only GUESS that may be the issue.

At the L-1, they will roll your individual fingers (and thumbs) and then do both hands to take a full set of your prints. They also take a digital phototo to go with the digital prints.

These digital prints go over the net directly to DPS where that are checked against the system. They no longer classify prints by "eye".

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TD: this set were L-1 digitals. Because of age, my fingerprints are pretty worn down. On my original license, I had to take one set of inks and one of L-1, both of which were rejected. finally took a 2nd L-1 and it "took".

Since they have those on file, I can't figure out why. I'll just pony up the cash and drive the 25 miles, and scratch my head all the way.

Push comes to shove, I'll write to Joe Driver. He's not my rep, but he's pretty helpful in these matters for Texans in any district. Good guy and would make one hell of a Governor.

Registered
Wasn't a problem with mine, I renewed almost 2 years ago now and mine were card and ink prints I don't remember if they did digitals or not now.

Registered
Not sure why you have to redo prints if your original were from L1.

I did my renewal about a year and a half ago and didn't have to have news ones, original were card and ink.

Registered
My originals were when I first did my CHL, I have since renewed twice since then. The latest being a few months ago and I am still on my original print cards.

Administrator
TD: this set were L-1 digitals. Because of age, my fingerprints are pretty worn down. On my original license, I had to take one set of inks and one of L-1, both of which were rejected. finally took a 2nd L-1 and it "took".
That explains a lot. I have a friend up in Lubbock that's run into the same situation. They've requested new prints from him in the past as well.

Registered
SPECULATION!

Were your original prints the old fashioned 10 card, ink on paper?

About 2 years ago DPS went to all digital fingerprints. I can only GUESS that may be the issue.

At the L-1, they will roll your individual fingers (and thumbs) and then do both hands to take a full set of your prints. They also take a digital phototo to go with the digital prints.

These digital prints go over the net directly to DPS where that are checked against the system. They no longer classify prints by "eye".
Just over a year ago when I renewed, I was told the same thing. I guess they must have had a digital set on file because I never heard anything else about it.

Registered
L1 requires that my hands be oiled (moisturized) - otherwise the ridges are not pronounced enough to show up.

Premium Member
A tip on using most any kind of fingerprint scanner is to rub your fingers across your forehead to get the oils off your skin to bring out the ridges.

Reactions: chuck_in_texas

Registered
No finger prints required up here

1 - 13 of 13 Posts