Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have trouble with reloaded ammo? I have problems with my 40 S&W Pro LS.
I know that I am pushing it in expecting good results with LSWC's but, I have very
good reliability with my 1911's, a CZ 75 & Ruger SR9. With my 24/7 the last round
usually will not feed. What I have done to make it function properly is to load up some
copper HP's or use factory ammo for the last round in the mag(1st. one loaded). That
works until I finish the rest of the box of SWC's. In the future I will use a TC bullet.
Just wondering if anybody had similar experiences

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
When you say the last round won't feed - where is it hanging up? On the ramp? On the top of the chamber? In the magazine? Does the problem exhibit itself with all magazines, or is it limited to particular mags? Need more details.

And welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
As a rule, I avoid reloaded ammo unless I know the person who is making them. I had a friend who cast his own bullets and made his own ammo, and it was always dependable. However, I have used several of the "factory" reloads available, and quite often when I open a box, I have some kind of problem. Better to spend a few more $$$ and have better reliability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mostly in the top of the chamber & with all mags. I did remove the followers
a few hundred rounds back and smooth out the rough edges they had but
it did not resolve my problem. I still believe it is magazine related because it
only happens on the last round. Thanks for the input.
SJ

·
Registered
29,842 Posts
90%+ of the reliability problems in semiautos can be traced to magazines; kinda sounds like what you've got.

...and SWC's give problems in "lots" of different brands of semiautos too, so that's not unusual either.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
If it's catching on the top of the chamber a bit of polishing there might solve the problem. I have no doubt that the magazines have something to do with it - most likely the way they're presenting the last round, although the round's overall length and profile are probably contributing to the problem. The other thing to check is the feed lip geometry. I've noticed on a number of taurus 45 acp mags the feed lips were very tight when new, but they tend to loosen up a bit with use. One thing that can help with mags is to leave them loaded, and unload and reload them several times a day for a couple weeks. Leaving them loaded will help the springs to take a set, and unloading and reloading will help to weaken the spring a bit. I also lubricate my mags on the inside with Rem DriLube and that helps a lot.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Will the 24/7 .40 eat pretty much anything as far as shootin? I've only used Federal S&W .40 .

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Will the 24/7 .40 eat pretty much anything as far as shootin? I've only used Federal S&W .40 .
Every weapon is a little bit different - even identical models. Best thing is to try the ammo you're considering in it and see how it behaves.

·
Registered
36,015 Posts
If the problem is with reloads and the weapon functions with factory ammunition, well then the reloads are the problem, or the reloader?
now this is if you are using the same projectile profile, you can't compare function of a FMJ round ball with a hollow point.
each gun will have dislikes at some point.
My reloads work as well or better than factory ammo , and i have never had to issue a recall on it due to improper function.

·
Administrator
17,582 Posts
I shoot mostly my own reloads and have done so for decades without issue.

I have not found a Bullet Shape or load that either of my 24/7's (9mm & .45 ACP) will not feed and I've tried a lot of them! Flat Points, Hollow Points, Semi-wadcutters, plain FMJ-RN's, they all feed and fire.

That said, do some shooting with different/factory ammunition to see if the problem is still there or not. Also, as debeardslee has suggested, keep track of your magazines during malfunctions. Number them with Model Paint or something so you can tell them apart.

·
Registered
36,015 Posts
I shoot mostly my own reloads and have done so for decades without issue.
yep pretty much agreed!
it really depends on who is doing the reloading and thier checks and balances and knowledge of the reloading process.
typically reload problems stem from to little power, case not reduced to factory deminsions, to long OAL, improper final assembly (mouths flared to much, case not fully resized, etc), and occasionally a weapon with a very tight chamber, this is usually associated with semi autoes and can be corrected with the proper dies.
a well made (properly made) reload should be as dependable/safe as a factory loaded round as far as i am concerned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts