Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Mec-gar 9 rd, 9mm mag won't accept more than three rounds. I've oiled, worked the spring a lot, even let rounds sit for a few days, but still the 9 round magazine only takes three rounds, What am I missing??

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
My new Mec-gar 9 rd, 9mm mag won't accept more than three rounds. I've oiled, worked the spring a lot, even let rounds sit for a few days, but still the 9 round magazine only takes three rounds, What am I missing??
What model number magazine is it? What gun does it fit, and what are you trying to use it in? Just possible it might be for 380 ACP?

Possible the spring might be reversed, allowing the magazine follower to become tipped? (That's my best guess)

What ctg are you using? A 147 HP might have a slightly different profile than a 115FMJ.

More details, please A few pictures would help an awful lot.

Flash

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What model number magazine is it? What gun does it fit, and what are you trying to use it in? Just possible it might be for 380 ACP?

Possible the spring might be reversed, allowing the magazine follower to become tipped? (That's my best guess)

What ctg are you using? A 147 HP might have a slightly different profile than a 115FMJ.

More details, please A few pictures would help an awful lot.

Flash
It's 115 RN, 9mm. The factory mag, also by Mec-gar works fine, but it is a smooth follower. I think the spring may have been reversed because I did manage to FORCE 7 rounds in - will let it sit for a few days. Also thinking the follower might be just a tad too wide, accumulation of tolerances type problem.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
That's wierd.

Maybe carefully disassemble the magazine and observe the orietation of the spring and follower.

Then, disassemble the GOOD one and compare.

If you think the width of the magazine follower may be out of tolerance, get a caliper and compare followers, their angles, sizes, and so forth with a known good one.

You are fortunate that you have one GOOd one to compare to, right there, thus eliminating a lot of guesswork.

Also, while the mag is disassembled, look inside for burrs, imperfections in the weld up the back of the mag; a burr there could hang the follower up easily. That would be my first guess, given the problem as you describe it.

Maybe try to interchange followers in the different mags, see if the problem replicates. "Process of deduction" here Good luck

Flash

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
HMMM??
1) serious metal obstruction in the body of the mag-not letting the follower move down?
2) check the magazine release slot that is cut in the mag body and see if its rough and protruding into the mag?
3) ammo to long and binding aginst the front back of the mag body due to the taper of the mag ?
a really, really serious Kalifornia Kompliant magazine that only holds 3 rounds??--Never Mind that was a joke!
a reversed mag spring I don't think would cause this.
try it with a different brand of ammo if you can.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You never know what can cause issues, I bought a mag for my JHP 45 Hi-point that would not lock in the gun. The spring was reversed and would not let the mag catch engage because a spring coil was in the way.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
For what model of pistol? The bullet weight really does not mean much. When I first got my Ruger EC9s, I had bought a spare Ruger OEM magazine along with it. When I cleaned the magazine, I just could not get the last bullet into there. I took it apart again and put it back together...same issue.

What I found was that the follower had a small piece of plastic "flash" under it, where the top side of the magazine spring pushes up on the follower, and it was not allowing the top of the spring to set flat on the underside of the follower.

I used a knife and cut that little piece of plastic off, and the spring set flat then...problem solved. I was able to easily get all the rounds in there.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I think it's "fixed". I lightly stoned the edges of the follower, and made sure the interior of the mag was free of any burrs, etc. I suspect the follower was installed incorrectly at the factory - the long leg of the follower was inside of the spring, rather than flush with the mag body. It will now accept 9 rounds, but number four is still very hard to push down. Maybe just needs a lot of use to seat everything. Also, Mac-gar cs was no help at all - they dropped my issue like a hot potato.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts