Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I haven't done it yet but it got your attention.

Our local Post Office has those free standing sensors by the entrance of the que for customers.
I have to assume they are for guns and pressure cookers instead of shoplifters.

What likely to happen if I were to forget and walk through and set them off while carrying?
My first reaction would be to walk back through and out the door.
Would there likely be badges waiting for me as I re-enter?

What about if you forget and walk throught the doors at a courthouse? Will the hold your gun until you leave?
Do police stations have those sensors?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slip one in your ex-wife's pocket, step back, and see what happens...
If I only could have back when I was paying child support.

You know they always say "The money's for your kids.". Oh Yea Then explain why she never worked a day after the divorce?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I doubt that any badges (Postal Police) would get there instantaneously. Test the system by putting a deep socket set in your pocket and walking through the sensors. :D

mbogo

·
Premium Member
10,104 Posts
It depends on the jurisdiction. Here in my area, the Court House Deputies really frown on that type of thing. They will confiscate, and, it is up to the Judge as to whether or not you get it back, or, when.

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
10,379 Posts
It depends on the jurisdiction. Here in my area, the Court House Deputies really frown on that type of thing. They will confiscate, and, it is up to the Judge as to whether or not you get it back, or, when.
Which sucks because apparently places like PA actually have to provide lockers and make them available to carriers. Wish WI was like that, future battle for sure.

Reactions: bubblehead

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
It's federal,no f'ing way I would even try it.

Reactions: jimb1972

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
I think the sensors at the Post Office are for shoplifters, I always carry my knife when I go in and it has way more steel then my TCP. I never set them off.

In my county if you set the medal detector off with a weapon because you forgot, it is a one way trip to "Grey Bar Motel". I know all the bailiffs at the court house as my job takes me in there many times. I have asked them directly what would happen, and the instant response was if you crossed the medal detectors you broke the law. If you did not pass them and turned around and left you are fine. We have to take shoes and belts off not to set them off so it would be hard to forget your carry gun. Women and purses are another story, same thing once they enter the x-ray machine it is jail time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I inadvertently walked in past those sensors before once at my local P.O. with my firearm in IWB. No bells or sirens went off and no one was the wiser when I walked back out. Must just be to detect the tags on merchandise.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Now sure what the sensors are for, f they are sensors. That being said carry in a post office or any federal building is a federal crime so I'd strongly advise against it.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Please do not bring guns into the post office, besides the fact that it is a crime, postal workers are notorious for "going postal" and bringing a firearm into close proximity of a postal employee may make them go postal with your weapon.

Attractive nuisance and all, ya know.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sensors at post offices are LP (loss prevention) for shoplifters.

Not actually sure what merchandise is tagged though. I cant think of a single item sold thats worth more then $10.

On a related topic, i really hate federal courthouses that the LEO entrance is on the other side from the main entrance.
I always forget, then have to go all the way around.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Many years ago, when I was doing jury duty the first time, they had a lady try to come into the local courthouse with a gun in her purse. She lost the gun but they decided to eventually drop the charges.

I think it would be best to make very sure to never "forget" that you have your gun with you when going into courthouses and post offices.

The last thing I do before getting out of the vehicle is to empty my pockets of all metal except for my money clip and keys and I double check and do an 'inventory' before I close the door and walk away.

I'm not going to jail for being preoccupied, stupid or lazy.

·
Super Moderator
27,124 Posts
Just in case some of those that you are "testing" do not have a sense of humor...I do not recommend it!

Reactions: Marinevietvet
1 - 18 of 18 Posts