Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a PT1911 & I'm curious about swapping the trigger. I'm looking to install a medium or short GI style trigger. I've read that the PT1911 has a deeper trigger track than most other 1911 platform pistols. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Does it cause issues with fitting a new trigger?

Thanks,
Frankie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
597 Posts
I can't help with ypur question on the trigger track on the PT1911, but are you just changing your trigger for personal preference? Just wondering because my stock trigger at just over 4#'s of pull is just about as perfect as I want it. Just curiosity I suppose, sorry I cant be of assistance.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
If you look at the back of the trigger stirrup the longer ones usually have kind of a cutout on the back. If I was going to install a trigger in a taurus I'd pick one with the same type stirrup. Here's a pick of what I'm talking about - note the back of the trigger stirrup and the cutout. My understanding is that the cutout is supposed to reduce the possibility of trigger bounce and subsequent discharge. Some stirrups are also eased on the bottom, and I think that's to reduce the overall weight of the trigger, and again to help reduce the possibility of trigger bounce.

That being said I've never installed one in a Taurus, but I would think the frame dimension are the same as a standard 1911. Maybe not. Maybe someone who knows definitively will chime in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't help with ypur question on the trigger track on the PT1911, but are you just changing your trigger for personal preference? Just wondering because my stock trigger at just over 4#'s of pull is just about as perfect as I want it. Just curiosity I suppose, sorry I cant be of assistance.
The trigger itself doesn't change pull weight. Unless its not fitted properly & it's dragging on the frame lol I'm doing it cuz I have short fingers & the stock trigger is too long for comfort

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you look at the back of the trigger stirrup the longer ones usually have kind of a cutout on the back. If I was going to install a trigger in a taurus I'd pick one with the same type stirrup. Here's a pick of what I'm talking about - note the back of the trigger stirrup and the cutout. My understanding is that the cutout is supposed to reduce the possibility of trigger bounce and subsequent discharge. Some stirrups are also eased on the bottom, and I think that's to reduce the overall weight of the trigger, and again to help reduce the possibility of trigger bounce.

That's the trigger I'm looking to purchase lol what do you mean by "cutout on the back"? I don't see what you're talking about in the pic. EDIT: I see it now. I had to zoom in farther lol

·
Registered
597 Posts
The trigger itself doesn't change pull weight. Unless its not fitted properly & it's dragging on the frame lol I'm doing it cuz I have short fingers & the stock trigger is too long for comfort

yeah, I understad it wont change the pull. Just saying my trigger feels perfect as is. I have large hands though so I can see why yoi would want the smaller one. As far as I can tell from a few quick searches you should be OK with some minor fitting needing to be done, thats about standard with any part though. One other place this question may ne noticed and answered more accurately could be in the smithing section of the forum. JAT

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
That's the trigger I'm looking to purchase lol what do you mean by "cutout on the back"? I don't see what you're talking about in the pic. EDIT: I see it now. I had to zoom in farther lol

Some trigger stirrups are 'level' all the way around. The cutout I'm talking about is the eased top on the back of the trigger stirrup. Maybe you can see it a little better in this pic. See how it dips down in the back?

Also, if you install a trigger that's adjustable for over travel, you'll need to adjust it when you install it. The way I usually do it is to adjust the screw in using 1/2 turn increments until it will no longer trip the sear. Then I back it out 1/2-1 turn and color it done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some trigger stirrups are 'level' all the way around. The cutout I'm talking about is the eased top on the back of the trigger stirrup. Maybe you can see it a little better in this pic. See how it dips down in the back?

Also, if you install a trigger that's adjustable for over travel, you'll need to adjust it when you install it. The way I usually do it is to adjust the screw in using 1/2 turn increments until it will no longer trip the sear. Then I back it out 1/2-1 turn and color it done.
I had to adjust the over travel on my stock trigger. The screw had worked its way out to the point that the shoe was acting as the over travel stop. I did it the exact way you described & it works great!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
My hands are plenty big enough, but I like the shorter triggers too. I like to use the crook of my finger to pull 1911 triggers, and this Cylinder and Slide fits me perfect. The hole for the overtravel adjustment is a little annoying, but as I always wear gloves when shooting it's not a problem when firing. Dry firing without gloves it's a little sharp around the hole. Next time I have it out I might have to ease the edges a bit. Here's a couple pics of my Para with the short C&S installed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would jump on Brownell's website and do some looking around Brownells Search : Search Results for "1911 trigger" - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS.

In addition, give the Brownell's folks a call. They are pretty knowledgeable people and might be able to help you find what you are looking for.
Thanks for the tip. I've been looking at triggers for like 2 days so I'm pretty burned out!!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I had to adjust the over travel on my stock trigger. The screw had worked its way out to the point that the shoe was acting as the over travel stop. I did it the exact way you described & it works great!
A little blue loctite on the set screw before you install and immediately before you adjust it should solve the backing out problem.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
GEEEZZZ!!!
all these short fingered people trying to shoot a 1911, and then the ones that have them "SOOOFT" hands and need to wear gloves to shoot!
Damn what Would George Patton and John Browning think if they came back and read this!!---:icon_ nono2:

Gotta go put some conditioner in my hair, put on my mans purse and go to the range and shoot my guns now!---:icon_ poke:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
GEEEZZZ!!!
all these short fingered people trying to shoot a 1911, and then the ones that have them "SOOOFT" hands and need to wear gloves to shoot!
Damn what Would George Patton and John Browning think if they came back and read this!!---:icon_ nono2:

Gotta go put some conditioner in my hair, put on my mans purse and go to the range and shoot my guns now!---:icon_ poke:

My hair would not be this beautifully soft without conditioner, it's called a Murse and the gloves keep my manicure from being damaged!!!!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
My hair would not be this beautifully soft without conditioner, it's called a Murse and the gloves keep my manicure from being damaged!!!!
There must have been something wrong with the stuff I used to use on my hair. I think somebody put defoliant in the bottle by mistake.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
There must have been something wrong with the stuff I used to use on my hair. I think somebody put defoliant in the bottle by mistake.
Yea, i must have gotten a bottle from the same lot number!
And welcome to the forum Frankie, obviously these guys have no manners at all.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts