Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my Spectrum a week before Christmas, but have only been able to shoot it twice. Both times I used both magazines loaded minus one, partly because that last round is a booger for me to load &, from what I've read, may be a source of feeding problems. I also make sure the rounds are shoved as far back into the magazine as possible. As a result, mine has run flawlessly so far w/ 20 yrs. old CCI Blazers & PMC target rounds (both round-nosed). I didn't notice it so much the 1st time I shot it, but today my trigger finger got pretty sore after only a few shots. Am guessing it may be because I don't shoot that often, but wonder if there's a shoe out there that would make the trigger wider? For its intended purpose, it won't be a problem, but thought I would practice more if it was more comfortable. I'm amazed, as small as the pistol is, how the recoil is no problem for me w/ either magazine.

Also, I've been shooting behind our house in a field we keep mowed. I stand in the same place each time, but have yet to be able to find any of the spent shells. Can anyone tell me approximately where your shells hit the ground relative to the ejection port?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Can't speak to the trigger shoe, but the best way to establish trajectory is with an friend who has sharp eyes. Do it during bright sunlight, for they show up better. You need a consistent stance and hold, of course.

(Or you could get four twenty-by-twenty tarps. Harbor Freight is highly recommended).

Some of my semis drop all empties within four feet of each other. Some of them toss them everywhere in a twenty foot circle. "Well regulated" guns, like my bullseye 45 did the most consistently.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,349 Posts
Purchased my Spectrum a week before Christmas, but have only been able to shoot it twice. Both times I used both magazines loaded minus one, partly because that last round is a booger for me to load &, from what I've read, may be a source of feeding problems. I also make sure the rounds are shoved as far back into the magazine as possible. As a result, mine has run flawlessly so far w/ 20 yrs. old CCI Blazers & PMC target rounds (both round-nosed). I didn't notice it so much the 1st time I shot it, but today my trigger finger got pretty sore after only a few shots. Am guessing it may be because I don't shoot that often, but wonder if there's a shoe out there that would make the trigger wider? For its intended purpose, it won't be a problem, but thought I would practice more if it was more comfortable. I'm amazed, as small as the pistol is, how the recoil is no problem for me w/ either magazine.

Also, I've been shooting behind our house in a field we keep mowed. I stand in the same place each time, but have yet to be able to find any of the spent shells. Can anyone tell me approximately where your shells hit the ground relative to the ejection port?
My Wife's Spectrum throws them a good ten feet to our right, ours has no problem with ejecting spent cartridges.............

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Think I know from where the idea they should land in a specific area came. I was shooting my Beretta 21A this afternoon in the back yard & the shells all fell right beside me. Because they're a blow back design w/o an extractor & .22 LR maybe???

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
Think I know from where the idea they should land in a specific area came. I was shooting my Beretta 21A this afternoon in the back yard & the shells all fell right beside me. Because they're a blow back design w/o an extractor & .22 LR maybe???
you need an AR-15 pistol in 300 Black out and load it subsonic!
almost every case of mine lands right at my feet and the weapon still functions perfectly!
I have some pistolas that will virtually place every spent case in a 5 gallon paint bucket , and then there is a few that launches them into never -never land!
MY Rock island 10 MM throws the things about 12-15 feet and it has a 21 pound recoil spring in it.
meantime my Tanfoglio elite match in 10 MM with a much, much lighter recoil spring only launces them about 6-7 feet and right in the same area.
same ammo as well--Brass Gremlins if you ask me!

·
21,940 Posts
My TCP (different from your Spectrum in several ways, but still a Taurus poly locked breech .380) throws them all over the dang place, from over my right shoulder 10 to 20 feet, to right back at my forehead, to occasionally ten feet in front of me, right over the muzzle.

I agree that in general consistent ejection is a sign of a well-tuned pistol, but I also have pistols that are very inconsistent and are very reliable.

·
Supporting Moderator
14,827 Posts
... I agree that in general consistent ejection is a sign of a well-tuned pistol,...
Let me add, it is also a sign of well tuned ammunition, whether reloaded or factory. Low SD’s

1 - 9 of 9 Posts