Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MPanova said:
Do you have the DAO version? If so I believe the only way to make the trigger pull lighter is to change out the firing pin spring, which may lead to light primer strikes.
DA/SA Pro .45. It gets tight right before release. Normal?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
How tight are we talking here? They will have a little resistance right before firing, after the take you should feel it stop and from there it should be about a 4-5lb pull before it breaks like glass. Atleast thats how mine are, Mine actually feels more like a 3lb pull once you take up the slack

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MPanova said:
How tight are we talking here? They will have a little resistance right before firing, after the take you should feel it stop and from there it should be about a 4-5lb pull before it breaks like glass. Atleast thats how mine are, Mine actually feels more like a 3lb pull once you take up the slack
Wellll, I don't have anything to actually measure the various parts of the pull.

At the very first there is about 1/4 inch of near zero pull before the trigger safety takes up.

Then there is a relatively light pull back to about 1/8 inch from the rear of the trigger opening.

Then it gets tighter and with more pull it suddenly snaps back to nearly touching the rear of the opening when it fires. At this point there is a pretty extreme angle of the trigger.

I find myself wondering if this sounds essentially the same as others.

Hm, I had an idea and just did some messing around with a scale. It looks like it breaks at very close to 7 pounds. And that's with the pressure very low on the trigger. With my wide finger the pressure is higher on the trigger and seems a lot harder yet to pull.

Thanks a million

JimL

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Sounds like you may have some grit in there, you might have to take it down further then a normal field strip and clean everything out really good. If that doesnt help you might want to have a smith look at it or send it back. Have you had any other issues at all?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MPanova said:
Sounds like you may have some grit in there, you might have to take it down further then a normal field strip and clean everything out really good. If that doesnt help you might want to have a smith look at it or send it back. Have you had any other issues at all?
Thanks. Gritty? It does feel pretty rough at that point. I've cleaned everything I can without pulling the action out of the frame - repeatedly. And it has been that way since new. (Of course that doesn't prove anything.) I've been looking for soft pin punches to take it down further.

Are spray cleaners frowned on by "real gun men?" Something I read actually suggested carb cleaner, altho I didn't take it seriously at the time.

The only trouble I've had is that the hard pull forces my trigger finger down on the bottom of the guard and badly interferes with my POI. I've gotten better by trying to lift my finger when I pull, but I see that as a major PITA. I find any kind of work-around as not even in the same universe with work-right, with guns or anything else.

Thanks a million

JimL

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The 24/7 and the MilPro are NOT designed to have their trigger worked on. There is nothing equivalent to the 3.5# Glock transfer bar. The only two things that affect the trigger pull on these guns are (1) spring weight and (2) the contact between the trigger bar and the firing pin tab.

The springs in both guns are "captive" arrangements which means that you cannot disassemble those mechanisms and change the springs or reduce the spring weight through "clipping" the length. They have a molded plastic fitting and anything you do will likely cause that fitting to be broken and you will be waiting for a replacement part in the mail.

You can polish the trigger bar face where it engages the firing pin tab, but these are small parts and even a small dremel is going to be hard to get in where it will do some good. PLEASE DO NOT attempt to shorten the contact between the trigger bar and the firing pin tab... you will quickly find that you can create a full auto weapon, but there will be no way to control it until you have exhausted the magazine.

These are designed to be COMBAT guns... not target pistols. My PT145 has about a 6# trigger, but it is very manageable to allow me to have great control over my aiming so that I can hit my paper plate at 25 yards.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MPanova said:
Sounds like you may have some grit in there, you might have to take it down further then a normal field strip and clean everything out really good.
I got an improved pull checking device. The pull just before release was something over 8 pounds.

Well, lacking any response to the carb cleaner idea I tried it. When it all evaporated I doused everything with gun oil and tried it again.

There is still plenty of herky-jerky going on during pull, but the release dropped from 8 pounds to 7 pounds. And checking closely I discovered that by the time it breaks the trigger is actually touching the bottom of the guard.

Hum, just broke it down again. The pull without the slide on is silky smooth. So, Where's the beef? I mean, Where's the grit?

Thanks a million

JimL

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cimarron said:
I can hit my paper plate at 25 yards.
My Hi-Point can hit waaaaaay better than that. I thought I was moving up.

Well, any forum I have ever used would chase you away or delete your messages if an evaluation post failed to heap roses on their favorite item. Maybe it's the same here, but what it seems you are telling me is that the 24/7's are junk guns that can't do better than an 8 or 10 inch grouping.

A call to Taurus got me three things. First, my first actual talking person. Second, assurance that it is impossible for the pull to be rough (farm boys know the word for that and avoid stepping in it) and, third, an assurance that the pull on my 24/7 Pro .45 is acceptable at anywhere from 4 to 7 pounds. Almost a 2 to 1 precision ratio? 8 inch groupings? I paid hundreds of bucks out of a very tight budget for a junk gun with "Pro" printed on it.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
JimL said:
Well, any forum I have ever used would chase you away or delete your messages if an evaluation post failed to heap roses on their favorite item. Maybe it's the same here, but what it seems you are telling me is that the 24/7's are junk guns that can't do better than an 8 or 10 inch grouping.

A call to Taurus got me three things. First, my first actual talking person. Second, assurance that it is impossible for the pull to be rough (farm boys know the word for that and avoid stepping in it) and, third, an assurance that the pull on my 24/7 Pro .45 is acceptable at anywhere from 4 to 7 pounds. Almost a 2 to 1 precision ratio? 8 inch groupings? I paid hundreds of bucks out of a very tight budget for a junk gun with "Pro" printed on it.
You asked a question, you have been given honest answers. Heap roses... spend some time listening and you know better than that... but to simply identify a gun as "junk" because you don't like the truth is insulting to the rest of us. I suspect that this will justify your rescitation as your 24/7 as "junk" and that I regret.

The "paper plate" reference isn't a reference to the "grouping"... but Any gun that can put a full clip of bullets into a paper plate at combat speed it will be totally adequate. In truth you should be able to put all your bullets into the 10 ring at 10 yards.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
JimL, yes, there are forums that if you don't follow with the rest of the herd will try to drive you away. You've been here long enough to know that isn't how we treat members. And we have chosen to leave posts that are not flattering to Taurus or are downright rude so that we can't be honestly accused of bias.

We aren't magicians, nor are we paid members of the firearms industry. We're normal people working real jobs that have a love of shooting and a willingness to try to help others out either in a thread or via PM.

If you don't like the answers provided, maybe you need to contact engineers or technicians in the industry as they may have the exact answer that you are looking for.

Oh, and based on what you've mentioned about the trigger on your 2/7 maybe you should try a gun designed as a single action like a 1911 or a Hi-Power. They should give you a nice, short, crisp trigger.

Steelheart

·
Registered
71 Posts
Try spraying some carb cleaner into the slide where the firing pin and springs are.
There might be gunk in the firing pin channel too.
After that when you know you have gotten the gunk out. Get a snap cap and spend a few nights watching TV and dry firing it a bunch of times. If there are some rough spots that should help smooth them out.

·
Super Moderator
35,674 Posts
The gun sounds fine. Probably operator error. You have to be able to handle a DA trigger to properly shoot one and that takes some practice. I have a Kel Tec P11 that is regularly trashed by folks for it's terrible trigger, but I can put my shots into 3.5" at 25 yards off a rest with that little gun. The trigger is very smooth, if a little long. It is rated at 10 lbs pull. However, I've been shooting DA a long, long time and prefer DA to anything of a single action nature including "safe actions". DA is made for safe concealed carry. Sure, it takes some practice to master, but I got into shooting because shooting is fun. Range trips are never drudgery to me.

In the DA revolver world, a 6 lb trigger would be considered a near hair trigger. ;D I ain't seein' the problem here, with the gun, anyway.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
NativeTexan said:
In the DA revolver world, a 6 lb trigger would be considered a near hair trigger.
I'm talking SA and intermittent pull from below 6 pounds to more than 8 pounds. To top it off, the trigger touches the bottom of the trigger guard by the time it fires. Someone at Taurus reading answers off the computer screen told me everything was fine - as if she had shot my gun. The fact that you would tell me I'm an idiot because your gun works for you is typical of business attitudes toward customers nowadays and makes me think you work for Taurus.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
JimL said:
The fact that you would tell me I'm an idiot because your gun works for you is typical of business attitudes toward customers nowadays and makes me think you work for Taurus.
No one called you an idiot. You are just searching for the "perfect" answer to ALL of your questions. You constantly degrade anyone who writes a post that is not to your liking. I can tell just by reading your posts (not even talking to or meeting you), that you are a person that thrives on confrontation. Please, do us all a favor and make an attempt to act civilized.

By the way, if you're so unhappy with your 24/7 and Taurus customer service AND the members on this forum just sell your gun and you won't have a problem any longer.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
To get back on the subject here...

I think the original question was could the trigger be improved and the answer is basically "YES". But that does come with limits. From a gunsmiths point of view the main way to improve a trigger is to smooth the internal moving parts and help remove as much friction as possible. This doesn't make a trigger pull lighter, but if a trigger feels hard, un-smooth, gritty, etc... polishing/smoothing/honing should improve the feel and especially in a SA trigger.

Any competent smithy should be able to dissemble your firearm and improve the action, after all it is one of the first things they should have been taught in school. Also, if you don't mind getting dirty (hehehe) you should be able to do it yourself with a little patients and careful work ;) Think of it as sharping a knife, the sharper it is the smoother it cuts.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.