Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got tired of waiting for Spectrums, especially the multi colored versions to show up in my area so I bought a Ruger LCP II.

It's ugly as a fried monkey, but has good sights and and outstanding trigger or 4 lbs. that feels more like 3.

I dearly love the aesthetics of the new Spectrum, it has great lines, no sharp edges and colors that remind me of my favorite 56 Chevy growing up.

However, nearly every review I've read on line say they have a heavy 8-9 lb trigger pull, which on a 10 oz gun is gonna cause the use of a lot of concentration to stay on target.

What say you owners, what is your experience with the trigger pull?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Nasty trigger with a a total trigger reset set. You have to let go of the trigger for it to reset.

·
9,094 Posts
The spectrum trigger is a long but smooth 10lb pull, with a full reset. However it is still very accurate. I recently picked up a LCP2 as well, the Spectrum shoots a bit more accurately. BUT I sold my Spectrum because Taurus had two tries to fix the issues and they did, but the new recoil spring was insanely too large, and the new extractor spring had the extractor shoulder sticking way outside of the slide. My biggest complaint with the LCP2 is the 6 round pinky extension that beats up one of my knuckles badly. I am only 60 rounds into the breakin, but no fails of any kind on any ammo. Will be installing the new Hogue handall grip sleeve on it tonight which may help with both grip and the knuckle knock from the pinky ext. If not, I will pull the pinky ext off and put on the flat baseplate.

Reactions: MOONDAWG

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not enamored with "Fo-Fo-Colorful" guns but I learned to drive a standard (stick shift) transmission on my families Turquoise blue and with 1956 Chevrolet Bel-Air. This Spectrum brings back fond memories. So I'm seriously thinking about nabbing it...

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
It ain't just where you are going but also where you been.

If all you have experienced are the very light single action triggers then maybe the Spectrum trigger will seem heavy with a distant pull and reset.

If you are coming from a few decades of DA revolvers then the Spectrum trigger will seem remarkably light with a nice smooth pull and reset.

Honestly, most of the current crop of striker fired pistols being pushed today are ones I cannot even imagine carrying. The very idea of what is being sold by almost every maker scares the living krap outta me.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Mine breaks right at 7 pounds; crisp and smooth. First time shooting it I felt a sharp edge, bottom right corner. But once my finger was placed center of the wide trigger, each shot, from then on, was more comfortable than any of my other myriad of pocket pistols.

It was reminiscent of the Beretta Tomcat. VERY sharp bottom edge. I also shoot the Ruger LCP (initial version), Remingtom RM 380, Taurus TCP, S&W Bodyguard, Colt .25 Automatic and the Spectrum is the best feeling little pocket pistol.

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DA triggers aren't a handy cap to me having spent about 30 or my 46 years in law enforcement carrying S&W revolvers.

One of my favorite DAO 9mm semi-autos is the S&W SD9-VE, but it has the weight and mass to make it comfortable and accurate.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
DA triggers aren't a handy cap to me having spent about 30 or my 46 years in law enforcement carrying S&W revolvers.

One of my favorite DAO 9mm semi-autos is the S&W SD9-VE, but it has the weight and mass to make it comfortable and accurate.

Well then it shouldn't be bad for you. I have a S&W Glock." 40VE. (S&W has to pay glock $5 for each unit sold. Copy write suit.)
I find the spectrum trigger a longer pull than the VE . The spectrum hit where i pointed it. You have to love any gun that does that. Now if you could get your target not to move until the trigger breaks...

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Wifes Spectrum is very smooth on the trigger, no problems with it...............;)

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Well then it shouldn't be bad for you. I have a S&W Glock." 40VE. (S&W has to pay glock $5 for each unit sold. Copy write suit.)
I find the spectrum trigger a longer pull than the VE . The spectrum hit where i pointed it. You have to love any gun that does that. Now if you could get your target not to move until the trigger breaks...

Have you got a link for this $5 per gun thing your reporting or is it just something you heard or read on the internet

Don

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Have you got a link for this $5 per gun thing your reporting or is it just something you heard or read on the internet

Don
I'm sure it will be easy to google. I remember it on the news as i had just got it.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yep, settled out of court.
Legality. The Sigma series pistols were so similar to the competing
Glock
pistols that
Glock sued Smith
&
Wesson
for patent infringement. The case was settled out of court in 1997, with
S&W
agreeing to make alterations to the Sigma design and pay an undisclosed amount to
Glock
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_SD

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Just for giggles and grins, the photo below is what the 56 Chevy Bel Air I learned to drive on looked like. The paint scheme reminds me of the new SPECTRUM...

The Feb. issue of
NRA's "The Rifleman" had a very good article on the SPECTRUM; however it's ending statement gives pause of my decision to get the SPECTRUM now...

"The company already has new projects in the pipeline, guns that will be made here. The Spectrum is only the beginning"

I'd hate to commit and then have a new Taurus hit the shelves I liked better.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,070 Posts
YEP!
Mom and dad had a 1957 Chevy in the same colors!

Reactions: MOONDAWG

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yuz guz waz lucky. My family had the Belair Wagon in smushed caterpillar green & yellow. But I had my 50 Chevy coupe.

·
Registered
78 Posts
JThe Feb. issue of NRA's "The Rifleman" had a very good article on the SPECTRUM; however it's ending statement gives pause of my decision to get the SPECTRUM now...

"The company already has new projects in the pipeline, guns that will be made here. The Spectrum is only the beginning"

I'd hate to commit and then have a new Taurus hit the shelves I liked better.
I wouldn’t worry about that. Any additional models will be in different categories, they’d be stupid to release anything that would compete with their own Spectrum.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts