Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to the site and reading a lot. i have a question for you that own and use. i shoot southpaw and am consistently shooting slightly low and to the right. i know it is trigger jerk but i have pretty good size hands and my compact seems to have a lot of trigger travel as well as pressure needed to blow! has anybody worked their weapons to resolve this and what did you do if you want to share trade secrets! i also shoot a Ruger 45 and can wear out a 10 ring so i can do it right sometimes :) i just cannot get an aiming point for my compact that will hit. and i like the gun and use it to carry. thanks for any input! Have a GREAT day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
there is quite a trigger travel. I think it is one of those if u like it or not kinda deal. It is also part of their safety mech, the long travel. I do not have a lot of pressure to blow though.

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
alot of pressure to blow, as compared to what? If you compare it to a 1911, then I imagine it does....swak says, it's really one of those things you like, or you don't. I've never really had a huge problem with my trigger pull.....

·
Registered
876 Posts
Gunny,

Buy some "snap caps" (dummy rounds) and practice the single and double action trigger pull. A lot.

It will smooth the trigger action out a bit, and you'll be figure out right where the trigger breaks on the long single action pulls.

Hope this helps.

·
32,790 Posts
Been giving this some thought.

While you may be left handed there are some things that do not change. The reasons for shooting low or having POI problems can be varied, but are the same for right handers as they are for lefties. What I am saying is that the link to the bullseye target/training target, of which you can copy and print off as a target, just needs to be reversed right to left as far as your concerned where the instructions are.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/training.htm

Here's some links that can help.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2872.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3266.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1780.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=5343.0

Ammo type/batch, the way the gun is gripped, trigger pull,follow through for the shot, and other factors enter into this. This and other factors as well.

Having a mentor/accredited instructor or a friend who is knowledgeable and able to watch how you shoot and then give constructive criticism on your shooting techniques would be very beneficial.

Basic local classes certified by the NRA or accredited instructors at local ranges or clubs are beneficial and get one out of bad habits. This leads to better concentration, practice, and mindset. Worth the time. Have to start somewhere and at the basics and beginning.

Even us old timers can fall into the jerk or flinch trap. Can go un-noticed and one can not be aware of negative things creeping into the shooting.

Locally in my neck of the woods the bullseye shooters are more than willing to bend over backwards to offer assistance,time, patience, and understanding to deal with learning the good fundementals of shooting. Might want to seek them out where you are.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The diagnostic targets are great for finding basic problems on your own.
The Taurus semi autos that I have both have about eight pound triggers with a long trigger travel.
The long trigger travel allows for two features, 1) allows for DA in the auto and 2) as part of the safety system.
After shooting them for a while I found that it was easy for me to get used to the triggers after shooting SA style for many years. Relaxing while shooting live ammo takes some getting used to.
Keep at it and make small corrections at a time. The snap cap idea is a good one as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but my Kel-tec P_11 is a known 8.5 lbs, 7.5 if you do the paperclip mod.My Cimarron SAA clone comes with trigger spring slightly lightened actually narrowed as it is a flat spring, somewhere between 2.5 and 2 lbs.according to fine folks at Cimarron.My Taurus 24/7 Pro Ds feels about the same in S/A and possibly 1-2 lbs more in D/A

·
Registered
49 Posts
Echoing previous posts, the "creep" in the trigger pull is a distraction during "target" shooting and can be a problem in a defense situation when the adrenaline is pumping. Triggers like these would be unacceptable in a hunting rifle, but appear to be necessary (for safety's sake) in semi-automatic pistols that have DO/SA capability. Practice seems the only solution that is workable and appears to have a good side effect on using my other weapons that don't have "creep" (like a DA wheel gun).

·
32,790 Posts
It is also apparent that polymer guns that are striker fired have this kind of thing overall. Not just Taurus. DAO and SA/DA guns are like that as part and parcel of the whole package.

There might be a few exceptions to this, but very few.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.