Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Beretta but I don't like how much play there is with the trigger. It's easily 3/4" of play before it fires. Can I adjust this?

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Sounds like the usual trigger take up while in double action. It does have to cock the hammer before firing while in double action.

How is the trigger in single action?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Yep, sound like normal take up. Which fire control system do you have (F, G, C, D)? Does the pistol still have a nice, useable trigger pull once the slack is taken up? My Beretta Neos has a little bit of take up, but it stills has a nice trigger pull.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm talking while in single action...I pull the hammer back and I squeeze the trigger about 3/4" before I can feel resistance. Then its an easy pull. I don't know what a "Fire Control System" is or how to find out so I can't answer that.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I love my Beretta but I don't like how much play there is with the trigger. It's easily 3/4" of play before it fires. Can I adjust this?
This is an easy problem to solve. No gunsmith or parts are needed to effect repairs.All you must do is present your identification and the necessary amount of currency, and your trigger ills will be solved once and for all in the form of a 1911 pistol.

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
I'm talking while in single action...I pull the hammer back and I squeeze the trigger about 3/4" before I can feel resistance. Then its an easy pull. I don't know what a "Fire Control System" is or how to find out so I can't answer that.
This is standard for a Single action/double action weapon!
when shooting the pistol if you will not let the trigger move all the way forward but stop it when you hear /feel the click , then just pull the trigger again and you will find no travel in the trigger at all.
now if you allow for full trigger travel forward then yep, you gotta take up the slack.
I can't really understand why you would cock the hammer on a double action pistol instead of just pulling the trigger?
of course on the first shot if you have decock the pistol (placing it in double action) then you have the full long trigger travel of the double action.
My px4 SC is a dream to fire and accurate as all get out.
I typically place 92-97 rounds in COM out of 100 rounds fired from 7 -25 yards, now that ain't to shabby for a little 3 inch barreled 9 MM in my opinion.
just got to use the trigger as its designed.
hope this helps.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, if it's standard, my friend's Ruger didn't get the memo. His doesn't have near as much play in his. The reason I do single action is only on the first shot. The gun is on safe, I put the clip in an pull the slide back. Since it is on safe, the hammer doesn't stay back (which I prefer with people around). When I am ready to shoot, I take the safety off and pull the hammer back. This is the only time. The rest are just pulling the trigger but still with the same play.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I can't really understand why you would cock the hammer on a double action pistol instead of just pulling the trigger?
of course on the first shot if you have decock the pistol (placing it in double action) then you have the full long trigger travel of the double action.
A firearm that is difficult to shoot is hardly an enjoyable instrument.Pulling the lever on a trigger cocking gun with the the hammer down is not only onerous but ensures the first shot will impact anywhere but where the front sight is. Can a shooter thus be faulted for avoiding the so termed double action pull entirely?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Uhmmmmm.....not sure what you just said...

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
Well, if it's standard, my friend's Ruger didn't get the memo. His doesn't have near as much play in his. The reason I do single action is only on the first shot. The gun is on safe, I put the clip in an pull the slide back. Since it is on safe, the hammer doesn't stay back (which I prefer with people around). When I am ready to shoot, I take the safety off and pull the hammer back. This is the only time. The rest are just pulling the trigger but still with the same play.
Well really the PX4 doesn't have a true safe position, its decocked!
there is a metal assembly that rotates up and blocks the firing pin as the hammer falls forward., this also deactivates the trigger.
of course i can't really follow inserting a magazine into a gun then pulling the slide back and letting go, then removing the decocker(safety) , cocking the hammer to fire?
to each his own but i would think this takes a really long time to put the weapon into operation, but again if thats your way so be it.
Removing the decocker (safety),cocking the hammer back, simply takes longer than simply pulling the trigger to fire?
IF you want to carry the pistol hammer down( there are still many built in safties) then why not decock the gun with a round in the chamber, then remove the decocker (safety) and carry the gun hammer down, and chamber laoded, ready to fire??
again its your gun, your choice.
personally i have no problems or complaints on how my particualr PX4 operates or its accuracy, double action nor single action.
I know of know way to shorten trigger travel by using your means.
as for anything other than the first double action shot , learn the trigger reset point and all the trigger travel is removed in followup shots.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Well, if it's standard, my friend's Ruger didn't get the memo. His doesn't have near as much play in his. When I am ready to shoot, I take the safety off and pull the hammer back. This is the only time. The rest are just pulling the trigger but still with the same play.
Different guns have different trigger feels whether in take up, creep, grit, release, weight, etc. Ruger does make a few models with tremendously long trigger pulls, notably their LCP and LC9 auto pistols. Sometimes the only way to decrease the take up of a trigger is to get a different model gun or a gun with a different type of action. I personally don't know how to decrease the trigger take up in the Beretta Storm, but a gunsmith in your area might (if it is even possible).

Just to help us understand what you are comparing your Beretta to, what model of Ruger does your friend have?

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
A firearm that is difficult to shoot is hardly an enjoyable instrument.Pulling the lever on a trigger cocking gun with the the hammer down is not only onerous but ensures the first shot will impact anywhere but where the front sight is. Can a shooter thus be faulted for avoiding the so termed double action pull entirely?
Difficulty in firing any good to better quality weapon is generally a matter of familiarity with the wepaon and its attributes/shortcomings.
I can think of a long line of both Double action only and striker fired pistols that operate quite effectively with the proper shooter behind the sights.
In this particular discussion Beretta Makes a Double action only PX4 that is used by several law enforcement people.
IF one wants a purley clean single action pull the one would do well to look at a single action only wepaon, they have their pros and cons jsut like any weanon as well.

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
Sometimes the only way to decrease the take up of a trigger is to get a different model gun or a gun with a different type of action. I personally don't know how to decrease the trigger take up in the Beretta Storm, but a gunsmith in your area might (if it is even possible).
I do not know either for sure, but Beretta developed a package trigger group in the PX4 to simplify repairs on the battleground armory, its a put together package that you simply pop out a couple pins, insert and entire tuned trigger package, pop in the pins and its ready to go again.
so basically the way that i understand it there aren't any real repalcement parts only an entire assembly?
now thats not to say that a gunsmith could or could not tear it apart and improve it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, olfarhors, first thank you for your input and I agree, to each his own. Just to paint a picture, I am not on a range. I am on my 5 acre property with a target and this is how I've always loaded my weapon regarless of what make and model. (Put the clip in with the safety on, pull the slide back, safety is still on, and when I'm ready to shoot, safety goes off and I pull the hammer back) It's not competition, it's not on a range with rules, it's how I prefer to do it. With that said, I did put a clip in and switched the safety to "off", but this time I tried the double action and you're correct, there wasn't as much play in the trigger shooting double action (for the First shot). Once the first shot left the gun, and all I had to do was keep pulling the trigger, the 3/4" play was back. That I don't like.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is standard for a Single action/double action weapon!
when shooting the pistol if you will not let the trigger move all the way forward but stop it when you hear /feel the click , then just pull the trigger again and you will find no travel in the trigger at all.
now if you allow for full trigger travel forward then yep, you gotta take up the slack.
My px4 SC is a dream to fire and accurate as all get out.
I typically place 92-97 rounds in COM out of 100 rounds fired from 7 -25 yards, now that ain't to shabby for a little 3 inch barreled 9 MM in my opinion.
just got to use the trigger as its designed.
hope this helps.
Sorry to bump this old thread but I just picked up the SC model and I am CRAZY impressed. I can't believe how good the SA trigger is (and how smooth the DA is for that matter). The reset is solid and I have it in .40 S&W. 10 + 1 in a subcompact that is softer shooting than my Glock 23. What an amazing pistol....and nobody has one. They are borderline obscure. This gun is a winner!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
I thought that I heard Beretta had stopped production of the PX4SC??
it is made here in the United States not over seas.
Maybe because they have moved the company to Kentucky is it?
I agree mine shoots well, the DA is long for me, the single action really isn't bad at all on mine.
Here they hold resale price extremely well whether the SC, 4 inch or full size.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
This thread had last received a post (prior to this reawakening) before I joined the forum (or even left Germany for that matter!) and actually had me checking the trigger on my PX4SC. It has about an inch of pull before breaking in DA and about 1/4" in SA.

Was confused as all get out as to how someone could compare two completely different guns and decry the difference in feel...but all's well that ends well :)

·
Registered
21,111 Posts

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
It's the wrong gun for you. That's all there is to it. Get shoppin.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts