Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the good folks here. After approx 50 rounds of standard 38 ammo my Rossi 351 trigger locked up on me when I pulled the trigger. What fixed it was to just pull the trigger again and fire the round. This happened to me twice at range. I brought it home and cleaned it but it still happens occasionally when I push cylinder out and dry fire it (not in that habit but need to figure this out) but only after first try, never on second. It always functions find after first try. My guess is that it has something to do with the thingamabob that sticks up above the trigger between the frame and cylinder. Anyone have any perspective on this anomoly? I may need this weapon in a pinch and would hate to see this happen.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
Joined
·
15,931 Posts
SkidLid said:
Question for the good folks here. After approx 50 rounds of standard 38 ammo my Rossi 351 trigger locked up on me when I pulled the trigger. What fixed it was to just pull the trigger again and fire the round. This happened to me twice at range. I brought it home and cleaned it but it still happens occasionally when I push cylinder out and dry fire it (not in that habit but need to figure this out) but only after first try, never on second. It always functions find after first try. My guess is that it has something to do with the thingamabob that sticks up above the trigger between the frame and cylinder. Anyone have any perspective on this anomoly? I may need this weapon in a pinch and would hate to see this happen.
1 Did you say you could dry fire, with the cylinder out of the frame? 2. Is the cylinder rotating when this happens or is it stuck when it happens? 3. Have you been manually setting the cylinder when this happens, or just pulling the trigger again.

My Rossi will not give me a trigger pull with the cylinder open at all.
I am more thinking the mechanism, below where the firing pins comes thru that rotates the cylinder being the problem, If I have not lost my mind again.
I am sure some revolver specialist will see this and comment soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rob, my rossi does dry fire without any problem when cylinder is swung out. When the lock-up occurs I have to swing the cylinder out then back and it functions fine. I've tried pulling the trigger again but that doesn't work.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
Joined
·
15,931 Posts
First, mine will not even allow the trigger pull with the cylinder not locked in place. You seem to have a problem either with lockup, or the ejector star and the frame. I do not know enough to tell you which. Recommend you visit the gun shop you got it from, if they will not help you find a smith in your area, and let them determine what is causing the problem.
Then contact Rossi,if the dealer will not help you. if yours is a Brazitech/Rossi and get them to fix it. We now enjoy the same Lifetime warranty as Tauri. But if you do not know what is causing the problem, how can you tell them what needs fixing, and get it done right the first time.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
32,808 Posts
The extractor star areas,over and under and those around the ejector rod probably need a thorough cleaning as well. 50 rounds of any type of ammo can stuff enough grime and grit around those areas to cause what you've stated.

Cleaning out the 'hand' hidey hole as it were and the hand itself with toothpicks, a blast of cleaner, and some small cleaning patches wet with solvent and then dry ones will get dirt out of that area as well.
Then there's the firing pin channel that will need a toothpick,blast of cleaner, and some light small patch work cleaning to be done as well.
These areas cause a lot of the problems.

Even gunk around the cylinder face and outside on the surface can tie things up.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
Joined
·
15,931 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
The extractor star areas,over and under and those around the ejector rod probably need a thorough cleaning as well. 50 rounds of any type of ammo can stuff enough grime and grit around those areas to cause what you've stated.
Well I hope that fixes his problem, but my Rossi will not even pull back DA, with the cylinder out of the frame. And I got way more than 50 thru mine, and have not thoroughly cleaned all those area's yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I gave the piece another thorough cleaning. Havn't had any more lockup's with dry firing but I don't like to dry fire too much so only another trip to the range will tell. I probably have close to a thousand rounds through this particular weapon and this problem has just recently arose, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was just the carbon buildup. At least I hope so. Thankyou for all your reply's, gentlemen.

p.s. Rob, I wonder why yours doesn't dry fire with the cylinder swung out. It must be an internal structural difference though I thought our models were designed similarly.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
Joined
·
15,931 Posts
SkidLid said:
p.s. Rob, I wonder why yours doesn't dry fire with the cylinder swung out. It must be an internal structural difference though I thought our models were designed similarly.
I been wondering the same thing! Mine was produced in 2007, model 461. OH and yeah, I only have less than 200 rds thru mine, compared to your 1000, so no wonder you needed to do a complete mechanical clean up of that area. I plan to do mine soon, so I do not get a lock up like you had.

I think that between qwik's instructions, we both were helped on this matter. I knew to clean those area's but just have not done it yet. Both my revolvers have less than 200 total rds each thru them, compared to coming up on 1000 thru my PT111.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It did it again on the dry fire, cylinder out, cylinder in. It didn't make a difference. It locked up on first pull of the DA trigger but not on the second pull. Though I've owned one revolver before (Astra 357 8") I'm still pretty new to these wonders called revolvers. I'm almost inclined to put it away and go back to semi auto's, but not before figurin this out. Maybe it's this "timing" thing people are talkin about.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
Joined
·
15,931 Posts
SkidLid said:
It did it again on the dry fire, cylinder out, cylinder in. It didn't make a difference. It locked up on first pull of the DA trigger but not on the second pull. Though I've owned one revolver before (Astra 357 8") I'm still pretty new to these wonders called revolvers. I'm almost inclined to put it away and go back to semi auto's, but not before figurin this out. Maybe it's this "timing" thing people are talkin about.
You know, the warranty on Rossi is pretty much the same as Tauri!. I think I would get in contact with them, or the selling dealer and see that it is fixed right. Yours is doing things that does not seem right to me, as I own the same type gun.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top