Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear from anyone who has used or has experience with trench sights on auto pistols (similar to the one pictured on Colt's New Agent). Please give negative and positives. Also, please give advise on the best way to utilize them when shooting. I need to know this as I have never used them before, but a couple of pistols that have a good possibility for a future purchase use this kind of sighting system....

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Yup I've shot the Colt, at 7 yards. I can hold a group of about 4" with my buddy's pistol although he can do better. They seem OK for a CC pistol but nothing much to punch targets at the range....
1.1 USA.gif

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I think trench sights or no sights are just fine for pocket sized guns. I tend to look over the top of the slide at 3 to 5 yards anyway when doing rapid fire practice with my carry guns. I really don't pick up the sights in guns like that unless I'm trying to shoot farther distances.

For night use a tritium front dot would help with finding the nose of the gun, though.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
It's like looking down the sights of my P-64, there isn't much to work with outside of close range.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Glad you asked as I am considering the Colt New Agent. Thought that maybe the trench sight combined with an in the grip laser might give the best of both worlds. Point and shoot at belly gun range and the laser if you need accuracy further out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Another thing to consider (unless it is a small pocket gun) with rear sights is the added feature of being able to use those sights for one handed chambering against your belt or other hard object.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another thing to consider (unless it is a small pocket gun) with rear sights is the added feature of being able to use those sights for one handed chambering against your belt or other hard object.
Thanks for the additional thought. Probably not an issue w/ the MPA, but more so with the Colt....

·
Registered
90 Posts
A buddy of mine had success with putting a tritium tube in the front of the trench. Gave him a snag free night sight and really improved the accuracy. Worth a shot if you pick up Colt.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
I never heard of trench sights. Is this something new?

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
No...it's just what folks call the guns with the little-bity nubbins for sights. A great many small guns, especially those for pocket carry have such minimalist sights--prevents snagging on one's pocket/purse draw.
Oh, okay. Thanks for the input. Learn something new each day. :D

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, okay. Thanks for the input. Learn something new each day. :D
LOL! :D Yeah, sometimes a trench site is actually better than the minimalist sights put on some micro guns. There is of course something like NAA does to their Guardian series in their custom shop. They have something called a Guttersnipe Sighting System that places the three dot sights inside the trench instead of on the slide. It is as cool as all get out. It keeps the smooth profile while at the same time giving a decent sight picture.......

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Never heard of trench sights until this post, thanks

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
To be honest, I think the trench sights would be better than what I have on my LCP now.
I like the idea on a pocket pistol, it would be impossible to snag a sighting system like that
on the draw and it is better than no sights at all. At least you have some idea as far as
whether to aim left or right when you are shooting.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
They have something called a Guttersnipe Sighting System that places the three dot sights inside the trench instead of on the slide. It is as cool as all get out. It keeps the smooth profile while at the same time giving a decent sight picture.......

I actually really like those. Would be beautiful for IWB or pocket carry, depending on the pistol that is.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To be honest, I think the trench sights would be better than what I have on my LCP now.
I like the idea on a pocket pistol, it would be impossible to snag a sighting system like that
on the draw and it is better than no sights at all. At least you have some idea as far as
whether to aim left or right when you are shooting.
My thoughts exactly. And it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to do. If it's cast or forged, easy. A little work if the slide is machined, but still, not that difficult. Here is another example of one used by Detonics way back in '85 on their Pocket 9 pistol (see below):

BTW, I would love to see something like NAA's system for revolvers. Lack of sights is one of my biggest complaints on compact wheelguns. Taurus is making it better with their fiber optic on their poly series revolvers, and some custom shops are doing similar things, but I would love to see a set of genuinely useable sights on a j-frame size revolver straight from the factory......

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have two pistols, both for concealed carry, with trench or gutter sights; a Kimber RCP II (Gen 1 without the hammer spur) and an AMT Backup 45 DAO. On my Kimber I also have Crimson Trace laser grips. The gutters are fine for their intended purpose. You definately don't want them on a competition shooter, but with my Kimber if I take my time I can get consistent sub-3" groups at 21'. With the AMT, groups are about 6", probably more due to the DAO trigger pull. Both pistols are meant for point and shoot vs precision. I see the sights as more of an "if you need them" thing. They are not fast to acquire and I had a tendancy to shoot high with them until I got used to them. I wouldn't trade either of these pistols. Perfect for what they were designed for.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have two pistols, both for concealed carry, with trench or gutter sights; a Kimber RCP II (Gen 1 without the hammer spur) and an AMT Backup 45 DAO. On my Kimber I also have Crimson Trace laser grips. The gutters are fine for their intended purpose. You definately don't want them on a competition shooter, but with my Kimber if I take my time I can get consistent sub-3" groups at 21'. With the AMT, groups are about 6", probably more due to the DAO trigger pull. Both pistols are meant for point and shoot vs precision. I see the sights as more of an "if you need them" thing. They are not fast to acquire and I had a tendancy to shoot high with them until I got used to them. I wouldn't trade either of these pistols. Perfect for what they were designed for.
Thanks for the info! I always thought I might like to have a Backup, but in .40 S&W.......

·
Registered
138 Posts
I love my Backup. It goes everywhere with me. Small, 6 rounds of .45, just point and click. A lot of complaints out there about reliability. Mine runs like a very loud sewing machine with JHP rounds. Mags are finicky with FMJ. I prefer JHP anyway.

Sorry... back on topic

1 - 20 of 21 Posts