Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am travelling our west for the holidays. This will be my first trip that direction (save Missouri) since I received my permits. My travels will take me through MO, AR, TX, NM, AZ. Maybe, if the weather cooperates, UT, CO, KS.

Checking out handgunlawus.com and usacarry.com, I am getting conflicting answers on where I can carry.

USACARRY suggests that, with the permits I have, I am okay everywhere BUT Colorado.

handgunlawus.com suggests that I am hosed in UT, AZ, TX, KS, & MO, but I think that I am misreading the language and the map. For example, for UT:

Utah honors all other states Permit/Licenses.
Utah Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses From the States They Honor.

It is this second sentence in conjunction with the map, that is throwing me.

Can any of our more learned and experienced members help me understand this? Keep it simple, as I am obviously not too bright. ;)

Oh, and what do I do about CO? Am I okay as long as the guns remain in the car?

A thousand thank yous!

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Utah honors all other states Permit/Licenses.
Utah Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses From the States They Honor.
The second line is for states like Florida that have non-resident permits and is just saying that if you had one of those it would be honored if they honor Florida's.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Also you should check each of those states in question's state websites for details. You may be able to car carry or open carry, but not concealed carry. I don't know, but that's what I would do.

·
Administrator
40,147 Posts
What permits do you have? Illinois and Utah?

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
According to USACarry it looks like you're good to go everywhere except Colorado. Do still recheck just prior to your trip to make sure nothing has changed. Also be sure to know whether you need to declare or not in a particular state.

On the USA Carry map first click on Illinois and pick resident then click on Florida to add your non-resident permit it will show you the states you're good in.

Reactions: Falstaff

·
Administrator
40,147 Posts
You should be ok in Texas with the Florida permit. There is no agreement with Illinois yet, but it's coming pretty soon I believe.

Reactions: Falstaff

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
You should be ok in Texas with the Florida permit. There is no agreement with Illinois yet, but it's coming pretty soon I believe.
I hope so.

For the OP, what's the deal with Colorado? I always thought that they were pretty good about recognizing permits from other states who recognized theirs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Get the app "ccw" it costs $3 I think but you can put in what permits you have and it will show all the states, states that are green honor your permits, red states do not. You can also look up each states laws for concealed carry, open carry and if you are transporting arms without a permit and so on. It is very handy. I used it when I drove from Kentucky to California a couple months ago. The app is constantly being updated with any changes to laws. If you get the app, also get the app "posted" which will tell you which establishments don't allow guns in them. Both are very good apps. Good luck and safe travels bud.

·
Administrator
40,147 Posts
I hope so.

For the OP, what's the deal with Colorado? I always thought that they were pretty good about recognizing permits from other states who recognized theirs.
Some states will recognize only the resident permit of a certain state, but not a non resident permit.

·
Super Moderator
13,907 Posts
New Mexico does not honor your Illinois resident permit. New Mexico does honor your Florida permit. Regardless of either, New Mexico allows open carry to anyone, regardless of residence. There are restrictions to carrying, open or concealed, in establishments that serve alcohol. It is a complex law that deals with the percentage of income derived from alcohol sales; as residents, we really don't understand it too well, so I err on the side of caution. Places that sell but do not serve are not restricted.

New Mexico also allows you to openly display loaded weapon(s) anywhere in your automobile; they may or may not be covered or hidden from sight, your call.

As far as our neighboring state to the north...we just stay outside of that border as much as we can and shake our heads in wonderment.

By the way, are you planning a stop or overnight in central New Mexico? I am located near the intersection of Interstate 25 and Interstate 40, and would like to visit, or even host you to dinner, if it works for you. GhostHorse live just 45 miles north, in Santa Fe. PM me if you're interested, or want any information about this area.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I would also recommend that you carry with you a copy of all the states reciprocity agreement, because most LEO do not know what states their own state has reciprocity with. May prevent a hassle in the long run.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The CCW app costs $1.99 and looks like a good deal. Thanks for all the suggestions. Colorado perplexes me, but then again, I live in Illinois.

Thanks the the offer, TrucksNCoffee, but I'm not so sure that it would work. I'm gonna be caravaning it out there with my wife +4 and my mother-in-law. Sounds like I will passing right by you though, about noon next Sunday. We have to truck out there quickly for Christmas. After Christmas, I'm hoping to take the northern route back home at a little more leisurely pace and have a little "nuclear family" time. Never been further west than Colorado, and want to try to pack in a few sights. Probably ala Clark Griswold style. But I really appreciate the offer, and if this wasn't going to such a rushed trip, I'd take you up on the offer for certain. Everyone is great here; one more reason I love this forum.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Texas allows car carry without a CHL. I would still do what has been suggested and check the individual state CHL/CCW websites.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
AZ has constitutional carry so you can open carry our conceal carry without any type of permit...

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Be careful traveling in the mountain country. Roads are generally good below about 4500 - 5000 feet elevation, but conditions can deteriorate quickly above there. Monitor weather forecasts and carry emergency supplies plus a set of tire chains for each vehicle. Colorado, Utah and Nevada, and other States have chain laws in effect (you are required to carry tire chains while traveling thru during the winter).

If you encounter heavy snow, stop and hole up if you need to. Do not try to tough it out. I speak from many decades of personal experience living and working in the Rockies.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Avoid Colorado. They require a local sheriff to sign off and you have to live there or something stupid like that. Every other state you list, should be good to go with Illinois, Florida.
I've got an android app called posted that tells you local gun friendly businesses and has the ccw map in it. I think it was like 2 bucks

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bought the CCW app - nice. Real easy to use, and I especially liked being able to look up each state as I entered it to make sure I was compliant.

Arrived in Phoenix safely. Never been to the southwest before. Man, is it ever beautiful! Like no other place I've seen.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Bought the CCW app - nice. Real easy to use, and I especially liked being able to look up each state as I entered it to make sure I was compliant.

Arrived in Phoenix safely. Never been to the southwest before. Man, is it ever beautiful! Like no other place I've seen.
It's nice out there. I'm taking the Kawasaki to vegas in march. Gonna ceck out west texas along the way...

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A question for our friends in OK, NM, AZ . . .

Okay. I am almost home. Wonderful trip; beautiful country; saw things I'd only seen in movies. Grand Canyon was awesome, but couldn't really do any hiking due to lack of time. Will definitely set aside a couple of days for that on the next trip. Monument Valley was breathtaking. Sedona was beautiful, but pricey. In any event . . .

It wast until I stopped for the night in Kayenta, AZ, and thought I'd like a few beers in the hotel room and was told that alcohol was not sold on the reservation that it occurred to me, "Hmm . . . I wonder what the concealed carry laws are on the reservations?" I could not find a comprehensive answer. The advice I found was either overbroad or suggested contacting LE on the reservations. Thereafter, I reluctantly but dutifully left my TCP & 709 in the car.

For future reference, do any of you folks have suggestions or resources? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts