Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd post this question to the knowledgable folks here. I am a Washington resident going to Oregon tomorrow. I have a WA CPL but Oregon does not recognize my permit, and I know as a "border state" I can get a temporary permit but I don't want to pay for it. Oregon does allow open carry (I'm going to the Eastern part of the state so I don't need to worry about the no carry cities) but I was curious, if I have my gun clearly visible in the BACKSEAT of my car, will I be ok? Normally I just pull it out of concealment as I cross the border and set it on my front seat, but my wife will be with me so I can't do that.

The glove box would be my preferred method, but I don't think I can do that either. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
929 Posts
AT least you won't have to get out of your car to fill up at the gas station. The "Gas Station ENGINEER" is required to pump the gas for you. I hated that when I drove into Oregon. It is funny to hear about the people born and raised in Oregon that don't know how to pump their own gas.

Sorry I de-railed you question. Check with Handgunlaw.us.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I can't give you the laws of OR but since I just came back from there I can give you general tips about the state.

1 It's illegal to pump your own gas anywhere in the state. It was a shocker for me too. But after an older gent explained it to me I kinda like it. It provides jobs to older people who cannot find other work. And it didn't affect the price. It was about $3.50 vs CA at just over $.00 a gallon.

2 There aren't many roads in the state. I'm serious! Two interstates and the rest are state roads. If you are traveling from city A to city B, there will be only one road to get there.

3 The south eastern part of the state is desert. We traveled 220 miles on a state road with NO gas stations. Even in a city with a state air port they didn't have any resteraunts, hotels or gas stations. The road from Burns OR to Winnemucca NV shows several towns. But they turned out to be 2 houses and three trailers. Why people would live that far away from even one gas station is beyond me.

4 The western part of the state is mountains and trees. The eastern is barren hills with wheat fields and flat deserts.

5 In the eastern part they do not have neighborhood block watch signs. Instead they shoot up the road signs. Some have small caliber dents. Others have large holes clean through. Very effective if you ask me.

It's a beautiful state.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should clarify, I'm originally from Oregon, AND I was a gas pumper when I was in high school, so I know the basics. I was just curious if having a loaded gun in the back seat is considered open carry or if I must have it on a belt holster?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not 100% sure for OR, but I know in WA you need to have it unloaded in the car (anywhere) without a CPL. I think it is the same for OR, that is how I went. Some towns in OR are very pro-issue for a CPL. If you go to OR very much it would be worth it. Also here is a site with some good info:
Oregon OC Pamphlet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts